YARTS Bus to Yosemite

Search

YARTS Bus to Yosemite

Search this Thread

Old Sep 10th, 2013, 04:30 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
YARTS Bus to Yosemite

We're going to be in Yosemite for 3 nights at the end of May 2014 (right after Memorial Day weekend) and while surfing the sites, I discovered that there's a public bus service into Yosemite. I've booked a room at the Yosemite View Lodge in El Portal because I want to do as little driving as possible. We're going to use the shuttle in the Park and if I can avoid driving completely, that would be great. (We're also going to be at Zion and Bryce and I booked hotels which are on the Park shuttle line for the same reason.)
Has anybody had any experience with the bus service? Or is driving to the Yosemite Village parking lot from El Portal not such a big deal?
Old Sep 10th, 2013, 07:47 AM

Received 17 Likes on 4 Posts
Are you coming through Merced? The YARTS bus picks up at the Amtrak station in Merced and has stops in Midpines (BUG hostel) and ElPortal for sure. If you go to Yosemite at a busy time you may be glad that you took the bus instead of driving if you have trouble finding a parking space.
Depending on where you are coming from, you could take the San Joaquin to Merced and not have to drive at all.
I didn't ride the bus, but I did find the geocache at the bus shelter at the foot of the drive to the BUG when we stayed there.
Old Sep 10th, 2013, 09:03 AM
Original Poster

We're driving to El Portal to the hotel. The hotel is the last stop before the YARTS bus enters Yosemite.
Anyone actually has been on the bus?
Old Sep 10th, 2013, 12:11 PM

Received 50 Likes on 7 Posts
I normally would take the car in -- are you there on weekdays? If so the traffic/parking won't be too bad in the Valley and you'd have a lot more flexibility. But the YARTS does run semi-frequently so not a terrible choice.

If it was me maybe I'd drive the first day and if you find it a hassle - then take YARTS the other two days.
Old Sep 10th, 2013, 10:20 PM
Original Poster

I was thinking of doing exactly what you suggested! We'll be there during the week but because it's after Memorial Day, it may already starting to get busy.
Old Sep 11th, 2013, 09:49 AM

Received 50 Likes on 7 Posts
A lot of CA schools are still in session that week -- and the day trippers generally hit big time later in the month. You'll probably be fine - but if it is a zoo -- then you can fall back on Yarts.