Search

Xmas in NYC

Search this Thread

Old Sep 26th, 2000, 07:59 AM
Sheryl

Xmas in NYC

My family will be in NYC during Dec. One day we are going to Radio City to see the Xmas show in the morning. I was thinking of making this an all Xmas kind of day. After the show I was think walk up 5th to see decorations, skating at Rockafeller Center and see the tree, carriage ride in the park. What do you think? Any suggestions. Also was thinking afternoon tea would be a fun idea for this day? or a special lunch? Suggestions please.
Thanks in advance

Old Sep 26th, 2000, 08:52 AM
Pamela

I ABSOLUTELY AGREE WITH THAT ITINERARY. I did the same exact thing in 1998 and it was the best time of my life. I saw the Rockettes Xmas show and then walked and saw the decorations...HAVE A BLAST. It was the best time I've ever had in my life and I didn't have the benefit of faMILY WITH me. so you know it was fun.

Old Sep 27th, 2000, 11:41 AM
Linda S

You won't have to walk far to see decorations. I spent 4 days and 5 nights there on a theater tour Christmas 1994 and was mind-boggled at the decorations. Loved it!

Old Sep 27th, 2000, 02:48 PM
NEWYORKER

Be forewarned: the crowds at the Rock tree and along 5th Ave. can be overwhelming. I usually go to check out the tree after dinner. The crowds tend to be much less, and of course the lights are even more brilliant in the relative darkness. If you are interested in some less traditional, clever holiday windows, check out Barneys on Madison btw 60 and 61.

Old Sep 28th, 2000, 01:03 PM
TC

Sheryl; I highly recommend going to The Metropolitan Museum of Art to see their Christmas tree. We loved it. To quote from the museum program: "The annual installation of the Christmas tree at The Met is an event cherished by visitors and scholars alike. The Baroque base of the majestic tree supports a landscape in which vivid eighteenth-century Neapolitan creche figures reenact the events of Christ's nativity. Magi, dressed in sumptuous robes, are surrounded by their retainers and animals. Exotic travelers, townspeople, and shepherds throng to Bethlehem to view the Christ Child lying in the manger. Above the infant and the graceful figures of Mary and Joseph, a glory of angels hover in adoration. The tradition of re-creating the events at the manger became a national passion in 18th-century Naples. Leading artists were commissioned to create extravagant panoramas containing hundreds of figures, many shown dressed in current fashion and attending to their trades. They offer a wealth of information about the costumes and customs of the day."

The figures each stand about 20" tall and there are hundreds of them. The heads are sculpted in terra cotta and painted like very fine works of art - many depicting important people of the time. The bodies are flexible for posing and the costumes are decorated with jewels, etc and are beautiful. The tree above the whole village (the village is the base upon which the tree stands) is covered in angels. This is a very unique holiday experience - not found just anywhere. I'm certain you can check the Met's web site for dates and times.

Another suggestions is to try to find a little paperback book called: New York Holiday Guide, the best places to eat, drink, shop and celebrate by Charles Suisman and Carol Molesworth. In it I found chapters like: Holiday Traditions-the Salvation Army sings at the 21 Club, Bright Lights, Big Trees-the best dressed trees in town, Finding the Holiday Spirit-warming up by the fire and ice skating and hot chocolate, FaLaLaLa-music around town, caroling and the tuba Christmas concert, Holiday Magic for Children-hanging out with santa and model train magic, The Shopping Directory and Wining, Dining, and Dancing. I loved this book. ISBN # 1-885492-87-1 or they list an email in the book of [email protected] if you can't find it in a bookstore. I think it cost about $12.

I hope this helps. I loved my one Christmas in NY - especially the Rockettes. A great choice. Enjoy

Old Sep 28th, 2000, 02:49 PM
tweedy

Sheryl, the above are right on on things to do and see in the city. I would add a few more. If skating at Rockefeller Center is too full and it gets crazy there, everyone wants to skate there, try Wollman Rink in Central Park. It is also decorated for the season and a bit less congested.

December is the big concert season at Lincoln Center and Carnegie Hall, you will have a chance to hear alot of great music, check the websites for the concert scedules.

Also at the South Street Seaport one of the big choruses in the city do a Living Christmas Tree with favorite Christmas Carols and the Bronx Zoo is all light up in thousands of lights with carolers on the weekend.

Hope this helps have a fun trip here.

tweedy

Old Sep 30th, 2000, 05:04 AM
GOL

More options:
Near the tree, see the decorated windows at Sak's and walk in St. Patrick's Cathedral. There will also be carriage rides offered near Rockefeller Center.

F.A.O. Schwarz is always fun, especially at Christmas.

Buy a pretzel from a vendor