Reload this Page >

WTC disaster relief operation

Search

Search this Thread

Old Nov 19th, 2001, 12:48 PM
Abigail

First let me start by saying that I do not represent the Red Cross, Bouley Bakery or any other company I will mention. Recently I have heard a number of appeals for volunteers from different restaurants and organizations I thought I would pass on what I found. I did respond to an email request from the Red Cross. I went down registered this is what I learned. They have an orientation process that takes between 1-2 hours. They have tasks ranging from simple serving of food to assembling hard hats, washing boots ect..to more complex case writing, computer skills, data entry. They can tell you more if you are a tri-state resident and you decide to go down to the Bklyn chapter of red cross at 165 Cadman Plaza East. The "A" train to Brooklyn Bridge and High Street will let you off at door step. Volunteer Recruitment Center hours are 6:30a.m.-6p.m.
Monday-Saturday and 1-6p.m. on Sundays. Volunteer
opportunities are available Monday-Sunday on all shifts

What I was told is that they are getting a tremendous response in volunteers but some times a staff of 30 might be needed for one shift and only six people will show up. This happens for an eight hour shift that I inquired about. They also have a great need for data entry. I had signed to work for RC but have been waiting for the RC to get back to me since September, a time when they were inundated with volunteers. They told me that they did not have data entry people to process all of the applications. She also added that the sense of urgency is starting to leave volunteers so they are finding themselves in need of new people.

Food preparation/cooking is done by restaurants; Bouley Bakery is still in need of people, the hotline set up for this is 646-831-6895 or just go down to 120 W. Broadway (Tri-Beca)
At Duane St. Subway Stops
A, C, E to Canal St.; 1, 9 to Canal St.
Last I was also instructed to call 1800-volunteers for more information.

If you are not from the NY area you might want to check with your local Red Cross chapter. People that have volunteered for other disasters through Red Cross and or done some course work (through Red Cross) are flying in from all over the country to assist in this effort. Again your local red cross can tell you better about the kind of course work needed and if you will be able to assist.

Old Nov 19th, 2001, 05:21 PM
TOPPING

TOPPING!

Old Nov 20th, 2001, 04:26 AM
sss

top again

Old Nov 20th, 2001, 05:02 AM
lisa

Abigail -- Thanks for this info.

Old Nov 20th, 2001, 08:00 AM
Sarah

This is helpful thanks.

Old Nov 21st, 2001, 04:32 AM
Cathy

This is great, now I know where I am going this weekend.