Search

WTC

Search this Thread

Old Oct 23rd, 2001, 03:05 PM
Karen

WTC

I am planning to arrive Friday by train at Grand Central Station. What is the easiest way to get to the closest point to view the WTC. I wish to pay my respects and have wanted to go for sometime. I have never ridden the subway and really don't want to. What would be a reasonable cab fare? Or a bus? Please advise. Thank you.

Old Oct 23rd, 2001, 06:30 PM
me

We were just there this past weekend. I am compelled to ask New Yorkers (or a particular new yorker)who spoke of not wanting visitors to visit the world trade center because it was their city and tourists shouldn't be in that particuar location. We were in the area because of the staten island ferry (to see the statue of liberty). I have to be honest. I was EXTREMELY hesitant about going down that street everyone was going down. I didn't want to gawk. I didn't want to see. I decided to pursue it and I guess my feelings about it was that I was part of a historical event. Many people want to journey into that area for whatever reason. I have to tell you though, it was a very solemn sight. Everyone was very quiet. People were sobbing silently. The army is everywhere. There are posters of condolence up everywhere. Signs have "No photo's". I absolutely respect that. There were artists painting on their canvases of this tragic event - for historical reasons? I am glad I went. I prayed for all the lost souls of 09-11-01. It looked to me like a prop from Universal Studio's or something. In answer to your question though, I would say a seven to eight dollar fare from Grand Central Station, in a taxi would be a feasible amount. New York taxi's all charge the same price, you just have to be sure to give an exact address as to where you wish to go (they won't know any other way) A bus would be much cheaper as you can ride the subway or the New York buses (Mass Transit Authority)for just $4.00 (UNLIMITED!)per day.

Old Oct 24th, 2001, 03:15 AM
rqf

Reconider your reluctance to use the subway since it is the best way to go.
Enter the subway at Grand Central Station and take the #4 or #5 express train DOWNTOWN/BROOKLYN and get off at the Fulton Street station. The trip will take less than 15 minutes once on the train. When you get to the street walk west to Church street - I believe that is as close as you can get. A taxi is going to cost upwards of $10 and would be much slower than the subway.

Old Oct 24th, 2001, 04:37 AM
Chris

There's an excellent article in the October 21 Washington Post "Travel" section called "Pilgrimage to a Holy Place," describing four different places one can view the WTC destruction and the experience at each. It's a moving article and I think such visits have become a pilgrimage rather than a gawkfest.

This past weekend we went to see the Pentagon devastation for the first time since 9/11. There are signs directing cars to special parking lots, and it's amazing to see people quietly walking across roads and grassy knolls to stand at the fence across from where the plane hit the building. There are signs and flags and mini memorials attached to the fence. It was quiet and respectful. If anyone in the DC area is wondering how to go, look for the intersection of Joyce Street and Columbia Pike on a local map.

Old Oct 24th, 2001, 05:24 AM
Goodbye

Karen: Aren't you the same "flight attendant" that has been asking this same question every week for four or five weeks now?

Old Oct 24th, 2001, 05:34 AM
AC

Hi Karen:
The NYC Transit buses are now running into Battery Park City. The M20 and M22 are your choices. Please check their website at www.mta.nyc.ny.us. Click on the service update link and then the bus information link.

And I am one of those New Yorkers who asked tourists to intially stay away. I did not ask anyone to stay away because it is my city. I want people to come to NYC and visit! We NEED you to visit! However, I still feel the same way but for different reasons that those people who feel you should pay your respects. I work there everyday and was there when the building collapsed. I have to be there for work every day and it had not gotten any easier to be there. The sights, sounds and smells are devastating and will remain with me forever.

And yes it does look like a movie set. It is still unbelievable.

Karen, Welcome to NYC. I am very glad you are coming to visit. Be prepared to have a great time. But you will shed more tears, too. Just when you think you have no more left, it will hit you.

Old Oct 24th, 2001, 07:05 AM
x

By jove, Goodbye, you could be right -- this could be the very same Karen whom I (or one of my alias) told to get lost a couple weeks ago and has been writing in asking the same question over and over. Either that or there's a plethora of people at the WTC site named "Karen". Anyway, "Karen", follow the poster who told you (at least once) to take the #4 or #5 to the Fulton Street stop.

By the way, to answer next week's query in advance, take the #4 or #5 to the Fulton Street stop.

Old Oct 24th, 2001, 08:39 AM
Sarah

There is a photo exhibit at a gallery (on nightline last night) on Spring street anybody else here help with details? A trip to the Fireman's museum could also be in order, look on web for address. When making your way to WTC area just remember to keep from blocking traffic, spend some money in the neighborhood (lunch and the like from affected merchants), last respect the privacy of local residents. Can’t imagine you are welcome sight in their lives, I think most people want to move on. I know friends that work in the area hate the spectacle of onlookers.

In terms of this being a historical site please remember a gawk is a gawk. We lost people we know and loved at this site and to us or I should say to myself seeing something to see history is more sensational than admirable here. Some people do appear visually excited as one women gleefully told me about finding a piece of broken glass. "This is a piece of the WTC and a piece of history", with an ear to ear smile on her face. I also saw several people stepping into a damaged vehicle like they were at the circus. Another pair of femalea in their fifties wore the T-Shirts “I survived the WTC attack”. I stay away because I know my presence whatever my intention contributes to the carnival like atmosphere I have seen and friends complain about.

Old Oct 24th, 2001, 08:51 AM
Bill

I can't recall anyone objecting to visit WTC because it was their city. Hard to believe this was the central theme behind their request. I think the request came from a desire to regain some kind of normalcy for the people who live and work in the area….kind of a common sense request….not with territorial roots me LOL

Old Oct 24th, 2001, 08:58 AM
x

Sarah, while your first paragraph makes a bit of sense, the second one leaves me very confused.

You've been there, right? You realize that the roads are blocked off and you can't get on to the actual ground zero site without credentials, right? So what's with the woman with the piece of glass? What's with the people stepping into a damaged vehicle? WHAT glass??? WHAT damaged vehicle??? I've been there too (weeks ago) and there was no glass and no damaged vehicles, at least in the areas where the general public was allowed. So what's up? You're making it sound like a 3-ring circus down there and that's just not true. I know about the exhibit you refer to but since I'm questioning your motives and your judgment, I'm not telling.

Old Oct 24th, 2001, 09:12 AM
Sarah

xx:It was like a three ring circus when I visited which was the first weekend after the crash. All that I mentioned above was in the viewing publics space. Perhaps vehicles and debris have been cleared, boundaries have been narrowed, but I do listen to friends who complain daily about the crowds. I wanted someone to offer the information to people from the site that may want to see the gallery. I live here and it would not be to difficult for me to find the exhibit.