"Wow" moment in New York?

Old Feb 23rd, 2006, 01:49 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
"Wow" moment in New York?

I have never been to the States, but, if all goes well, will go to Washington and New York in May.

New York has always been a dream for me and my question is:

What must/will happen for reality to hit home, you are now in New York! This is the moment, you have arrived. What will be the "Wow!" moment? - we went some time ago to France and I had the moment when I stood underneath the Eiffel Tower.
Old Feb 23rd, 2006, 04:08 AM

The Statue of Liberty is always my "wow" moment.
Old Feb 23rd, 2006, 04:09 AM

Times Square. I don't understand why so many Fodorites seem to steer people away from staying in the area. I love the energy of Times Square. Love the Broadway theatres being just steps away. Even like the kitschy gift shops. It just "feels" like NYC to me.

Yes, I also like staying in neighborhoods (varied) but I just love the energy and lights of Times Square.
Old Feb 23rd, 2006, 04:25 AM

Another is the view from the top of the Empire State Building.
Old Feb 23rd, 2006, 04:29 AM

Rockefeller Center at Christmas. Wow!
Old Feb 23rd, 2006, 04:30 AM

depending on how you are arriving and where you are staying-- entering the city through the midtown tunnel, especially at night, when the skyline comes into view over a hill is an amazing sight.

when i lived there and picked first time visitors up at the airport, i always took them into the city this way even though i lived on the uws.
Old Feb 23rd, 2006, 04:30 AM

Darn! Hit the post button too fast. I was going to say: Rockefeller Center especially at Christmas, but it's a Wow at any time of year.
Old Feb 23rd, 2006, 05:10 AM

Flying over Manhattan at night in a helicopter.
Old Feb 23rd, 2006, 05:16 AM

There can be so many WOW moments in New York. As one poster mentioned, the first time the skyline comes into view. The Statue of Liberty. The view of Central Park from the roof garden of the Metropolitan Museum. Seeing a world-famous painting or sculpture at a museum that you never thought you'd see in real life. Or seeing a world-famous building you never thought you'd see in real life, like the NYSE or Trinity Church. Times Square. Rockefeller Center at Christmastime. Taking the subway. There are so many of them. Can you tell I have a real love affair with this city.
Old Feb 23rd, 2006, 05:33 AM
Original Poster

Thanks a lot everybody! Can you see me drooling? Does not necessarily have to be a place or view, can be an experience, a local custom, a local saying, or something similar.
Old Feb 23rd, 2006, 05:49 AM

Do visit Times Square, but don't stay there.

Times Square "just feels like NYC" only to tourists. New Yorkers go there to see shows, and some to work, but generally we avoid that area. (New Yorkers also tend to avoid the "non-area" around MSG over to the Empire State Building."

I know I'm when I see the skyline on the way in from the airport.
Old Feb 23rd, 2006, 05:57 AM

Of course, New Yorkers live elsewhere.
But, tourists DO enjoy staying in Times Square. Why is that concept so hard to comprehend?

I've stayed in an apartment in Greenwich. Enjoyed it.
I've stayed with friends on the UWS. Enjoyed it.
I've stayed with friends on the UES. Enjoyed it.
I've stayed in a hotel in the Financial District. Didn't enjoy it as much.
I've stayed in a hotel next to Grand Central. Enjoyed it.

But, if I'm going back with someone new to Manhattan, you better believe we are going to stay in or near Times Square. Convenient. Broadway steps away. The energy and lights of Times Square. It "feels" like what most people expect when they visit New York AS TOURISTS for the first time.

Do I want to live there? No.
You don't either. Fine.
But, we are talking about a visit - by tourists - with limited time.

Geez.
Old Feb 23rd, 2006, 06:03 AM

Some tourists prefer the sophistication and elegance of NYC. While Times Square is a must-see for visitors, staying there does not meet those preferences for many, IMO.
Old Feb 23rd, 2006, 06:07 AM

#1-Statue of liberty
2-ellis island
3-empire state building
4-times square
5-rockerfellar cen.
6-horse and buggy ride around the city
7-museums
so much to see--just walking the streets will WOW you! you never know what you'll see!HA!
Old Feb 23rd, 2006, 06:11 AM

i type so fast that i spelled rockefeller wrong!! anyway,
wanted to add St. Patricks Cathedral, and Macys!!
Old Feb 23rd, 2006, 06:13 AM

There was a very funny bit on Times Square in 'The Office' last week, when Michael visits NY:

"Times Square. Look at this! This is where real New Yorkers go. Everybody knows that the Empire State is too touristy, this is why I come here. Bubba Gump, Red Lobster and other cathedrals of fine dining, right here, at the cross roads of the world!"... or something like that...
Old Feb 23rd, 2006, 06:20 AM

Central Park.
Times Square.
The theatre.
Walking/shopping the streets.
Taxi rides.
Museums.
Old Feb 23rd, 2006, 06:23 AM

Top of the Empire State Building AT NIGHT.
Old Feb 23rd, 2006, 06:36 AM
QC

Some local suggestions:

1. (Daytime) Taking a cab from JFK, instruct your driver you want to take the UPPER LEVEL of the Queensboro Bridge.

2. (Nighttime) Taking a cab from JFK, instruct your driver you want to take the L.I.E. and the TUNNEL.

There may be traffic, etc, your driver may complain. If you want the 'wow', it may be worth it to you.

3. (Nighttime) Take the Subway to Columbus Circle. Exit and find Broadway. Walk down Broadway (follow the direction of traffic). Once you pass 57th Street you should be able to see Times Square...as you walk straight into it.

All GUARANTEED WOWS.
Old Feb 23rd, 2006, 07:02 AM

Walking across the Brooklyn Bridge, viewing the Manhattan skyline from the water (e.g. Staten Island Ferry), Times Square, watching ice skating in Rockefeller Center, Statue of Liberty, Bronx Zoo, Theater District at 7:30 p.m.--to name a few.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -