Notices

Would you pick Cleveland or Chicago??

Old May 28th, 2002, 03:29 PM
Hmmmm

Would you pick Cleveland or Chicago??

For an annual family vacation this Summer, which would you choose, Chicago or Cleveland and why? Also, I have seen others say not to rent a car in Chicago, but if we do that trip, I was hoping to explore parts of WI, MI, IN, etc. Is that possible to do in 8 days or is there plenty to see in one state alone, be it Chicago or Cleveland?

Old May 28th, 2002, 03:38 PM
AML

MUCH more to do in Chicago. I would do 4-5 days in Chicago then try Madison (zoo is great) and/or Milwaukee, or else Chicago and then around to Mich. along the lake (Saugatuck, Holland, etc.).

Why do they warn you not to rent a car -- so you don't have to worry about parking? Or something about prices?

Old May 28th, 2002, 03:52 PM
Hmmmm

AML: Yes-I have read others say not to rent a car because of the outrageous parking fees charged by the hotel/downtown.

Old May 28th, 2002, 04:47 PM
Chicagoan

Do you have to ask? Chicago of course. I'm partial to Chicago cuz its my hometown. And there is alot to see here. While in Chicago you can get by without a car. You will miss a lot if you drive around, better to see my city on foot (or any city). Rent a car when you plan to go off and visit the other states. 8 days is not enough if you plan on seeing other states.

Old May 28th, 2002, 05:14 PM
arjay

Does your 8 days include the day you arrive and the day you leave? In which case, it's not a true 8 days...and you need at least five to begin to see Chicago's many offerings. You certainly cannot explore parts of all the states you mention - you'd be doing well to hit one of them, and that best idea might be a day trip to the Indiana Dunes. It would only be about a 90 minute drive (each way) and if you live inland, it's pretty darned nifty (and even if you don't!) As for 'why" Chicago...do a search - there are so very many posts here that detail all there is to see and do.

Old May 28th, 2002, 06:30 PM
mama k

You have to ask???? Cgo. Stay out near O'hare, hit the city via the Metra. spend 3 days rent a car and head for
1. Madison
2. The dells 45 min from Mad for water parks and Kitch
3. door County 4 hours from O'hare, go thru Green Bay ( god Bless the Packers) Door county is like Cape Cod.
Or, Head south of Cgo and do the Indiana dunes at Mich City, or the Mich dunes on Lake Michigan at Warren Mich.
Gotta hit a Cubs game or at least a Sox game.
I'd stay in the Ohare area and you'll be able to access everywhere

Old May 29th, 2002, 04:59 AM
suzie

Don't underestimate Cleveland. It is one of the greatest american cities we've visited. The downtown area is fresh and clean, including the Rock & Roll Hall of Fame on the shores of Lake Erie. Next to the rock hall is a cool Science Center and the new Browns stadium. Beautiful sunsets reflect in the Lake off the angular Rock hall, its quite stunning.

There were several wonderful museums we visited, we caught a Tribe game at Jacobs Field (reminded me of the Orioles field).

Then we spent two incredibly fun days at Cedar Point, about 45 minutes away. It has the most daringly scarey roller coasters in the world, voted #1 amusement park by Coaster Magazine.

I love Chicago too, but can't wait to go back to cleveland.

Old May 29th, 2002, 05:05 AM
corn cobber

I went to Cleveland. It bit the big one. With relish!

Old May 29th, 2002, 06:10 AM
noname

Lets see-Cleveland("mistake on the lake") or Chicago? Is this a troll? Of course, you would rather be in Chicago-one of America's best kept secrets!

Old May 29th, 2002, 07:27 AM
Ed

Oh oh, your ignorance is showing.

Before you badmouth a city, or anything for that matter, you better know what you are talking about.

Cleveland is like a little sister to Chicago. They are very similar in every way, the major difference between population. Both on great lakes with much to offer residents and tourists alike.

Thats ok though. When reading these boards one might expect a few with a 4th grade mentality.

Old May 29th, 2002, 08:02 AM
Nick

There's more attractions in Chicago, but you're also going to spend a lot more for a hotel and parking!

Old May 29th, 2002, 08:03 AM
Mary

I went to college in Cleveland and now live in Chicago. Although Cleveland is a nice city, it has nothing to offer in comparison to Chicago. Cleveland can be done in a day or two, Chicago can take a lifetime (museums, summer festivals, restaurants, lakefront, Navy Pier, boat rides, parks, sports, music....) Go to Metromix.com for all info.

Old May 29th, 2002, 10:44 AM
Mary Beth

Hey Mary, I went to school in Cleveland too, (Case '87) and live in Wheaton now! Where did you go in clvd??

I echo your thougts but in the aspect that Clvd ALSO has ALL the attractions you listed for Chicago. Have you been back to clvd lately? Its amazing. You could spend WEEKS in their museums alone, world class art exhibits etc. Not to mention their waterfront, tons of new restaurants etc.

Hey, have you been to The Flats lately? (restaurants, clubs, bars) It's hotter than ever. As much as I love my windy city, Cleveland is really in the same league.

Old May 29th, 2002, 10:49 AM
Mary Beth

P.S. -- in addition, cleveland is now SECOND after NYC in the number of Broadway Shows. Yes, before Chi-town, Toronto, LA etc etc etc

Old May 29th, 2002, 10:59 AM
ChiTown

MaryBeth you are full of it. Chicago is now fully the "Second City" when it comes to drama -- just read the NYTimes on that very point. There are more theaters and more plays going on in Chicago on any given night than anywhere other than NYC. (By "Broadway Shows" -- do you mean "Oklahoma" over and over by local repertory groups?)

Old May 29th, 2002, 11:27 AM
dave

Not to ruffle any feathers on this argument, but an actor friend of mine up in NY said the big 3 in theatre are: 1)NY of course, and then DC and Chicago are neck and neck. LA is full of actors but not stage actors. DC suprised me a little but the quality of theatre in this town is pretty impressive, unfortunately I tend to take it for granted at times.

Old May 29th, 2002, 12:35 PM
Carmella

I would choose Chicago because there is so much to do. You should get the CityPass to do the museums which will save you alot of money. If you stay downtown, I would not rent a car. Parking at the hotels can be very expensive. We stayed at the Intercontinental this past weekend and parking was $34 a night. You can rent a car if you decide to go to Wisconsin or Michigan. I wouldn't bother with the Wisconsin Dells. If you want to go to Wisconsin, I would go somewhere closer like Lake Geneva, Milwaukee or Madison. I agree with checking out Saugutuck in Michigan. That is a very nice area. Lots of B&Bs around there. In my opinion, there is not much to see in Indiana. The Warren Dunes in Michigan are much nicer than Indiana Dunes.

Old May 30th, 2002, 07:00 PM
arjay

Hmmmm.

Since Hmmmm has not been back or weighed in on any of these comments, it kinda makes you wonder if he/she's just trolling in the moonlight. On the other hand, this thread has maybe served the purpose of getting the word out about Cleveland (who knew??).

However, if it's a serious question and Chicago's in the running, I'm back to counsel against the abgove suggestion to stay in the O'Hare area. No mention of whether there are kids involved in this trip, but that would make it even less of a good idea. Isn't it nice - after a day of running around in the (any) big city - to just hobble on back to your hotel room and take a load off for a few, before heading out again? Can't do that if you're staying a 30-40 minute train ride away. Priceline can probably help with high downtown hotel prices...but it's definitely worth it to stay downtown.

Old May 31st, 2002, 02:06 PM
ertfg

Neither

Old May 31st, 2002, 02:20 PM
Hmmmmm

Arjay: Not everyone's a troll -- even though I may look like one -- short, squatty, big bellied, naked, yellow-long haired, big nosed...wait a minute..that's yo mama! kidding aside, thanks for the info-you-and the others. Yes, we're taking the kids. So what do you think about being able to see other states if we're planning 8 days in Chicago?

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell My Personal Information

FODOR'S VIDEO