Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page >

would you go to Big Island Oahu in January?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 15th, 2006, 09:32 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We are planning a USA ski trip next January (thanks for all the advice on that score) and are hoping to link it with another couple of activities. One suggestion is to visit one of the Hawaiian islands, will it be warm enough for swimming and snorkelling at that time of the year (3rd week Jan)? If not warm enough what else can we do over your side of the world? (coming from Australia)at that time of the year. I have considered Disneyland for a couple of days, teenage son not jumping at that suggestion. Are the lines really long even at that time of the year? I do not really want to drive in LA, too many curly wurly junctions for driving on the "other side". Out on the open road it would be fine.

We were thinking the skiing first and then warming up somewhere else for a few days or about a week. Any suggestions would be most appreciated.
Old Jul 16th, 2006, 09:16 AM

While I adore Hawaii, I think going from skiing to snorkeling in the same trip might throw me into shock!! Have you considered a southwest/desert destination? Which ski location would you be coming from?
Old Jul 16th, 2006, 09:15 PM

Hello from California. For warmth in January, I would advise Hawaii vs. California (even Southern California) cheifly because January is the middle of our winter. Granted, it is mild compared to the rest of the country, but our average high temperature in January is only 69 degrees and the low is 47 degrees. It is also our rainy season, which again isn't much, but not much to "warm up" in. The average water temperature off the coast here in January is about 57 degrees - only warm enough for snorkling if you wear a good wet suit. There is some good diving here, but not what you would find in Australia or Hawaii. I've dived off our coast here in the channel islands and also at Catalina Island, and done some beach diving near Corona del Mar and Laguna, but the diving I did in Hawaii was on a completely different level. I've not been to Australia but I've heard yours is pretty wonderful as well. You would most likely be disappointed at our weather in January and our diving/snorkling options.

If you do decide to visit us in January, as far as Disneyland, unfortunately January is pretty busy because many "locals" get annual passes for Christmas gifts and are anxious to use them. Not so bad if you go during the week, but I avoid going on weekends. But it is better than trying to go anytime during the summer.

You might get much more responses if you reposted your question with a title about "Where in the US can I go to warm up in January?" I almost didn't look here because I thought it was just about Hawaii and I am no expert on Hawaii only having been there once.

Have fun and any more info on Calif you want, let me know.
Old Jul 16th, 2006, 09:20 PM

See the comments on this subject by searching "snorkling" or clicking this link (if it works) Not quite sure how to copy/paste it in yet:
It is about snorkling in Hawaii.

http://www.fodors.com/forums/threads...100&dirtyBit=1
Old Jul 16th, 2006, 09:28 PM

Wow, this is really hard. Maybe this will work.

http://www.fodors.com/forums/pgMessa...rchText=Hawaii
Old Jul 16th, 2006, 11:02 PM

The Big Island has snow in its higher elevations, did you know that? You could go skiing in the morning and surfing in the afternoon. Granted, it's not great skiing, but it's something to say you did.
Old Jul 17th, 2006, 08:25 AM

I wouldn't recommend Disneyland if your teen isn't excited about it. And Big Island "skiing" usually involves bouncing down a rocky/icy hill on a boogie board. But as long as you skip the "skiing" Hawaii would be just fine in January - temperatures in the low-to-high 20s celsius, water temperatures in the low-to-mid 20s. Two small warnings - January will be high tourist season in the islands so book early and don't expect I think that you could save a lot of travel time by not stopping for a layover in Hawaii. I'm not even sure that there are any direct flights between Australia and Hawaii.

So where are you planning on skiing in the states? Lake Tahoe on the California/Nevada border is great, and gets you within a day's drive of San Francisco or Yosemite Valley. The skiing in Utah or Colorado is even better but your options for alternative activities are a little more limited. You would probably have to book another flight to get anywhere really interesting. But I'm sure others on this website would disagree......(please do)
Old Jul 17th, 2006, 08:28 AM

Sorry - brain hiccup in the middle of the last email. What I meant to say about visiting Hawaii in January was not to expect much in the way of discounts. And that it might complicate your travel plans. But if you must have a great tropical detour on your American vacation, I'm sure that you would all enjoy yourselves in Hawaii.
Old Jul 17th, 2006, 11:37 PM
Original Poster

Thanks everyone for your responses. I must admist having researched further I am going off the idea of Hawaii. No offence to anyone but I cannot believe the prices of their resorts. I don't want high rise Waikiki style holiday, I have been there plenty of times before and I think Big Island maybe require more time than 3-4 days to do it justice. It was just a quick stop in the sun to warm up on the way home. there are direct flights but I think the cost is being too prohibiting particularly after a skiing holiday which isn't a budget style holiday either.

I have spent ages trawling through the reviews on trip advisor and for the money some of these places don't really sound worth it. hmm, maybe I am wanting champagne accommodation on white wine money!! Still in the research phase - gone all old fashioned and borrowed library books today to get another perspective. Thanks to everyone who has answered. Schnauzer
Old Jul 18th, 2006, 02:02 AM

If you will be skiing on the West Coast or nearby and want to warm up without going to Hawaii, then consider going to the west coast of Mexico.