Would like suggestions on land-based tours in Alaska

Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 6th, 2003, 04:29 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I would sure like some ideas on "guided" tours of Alaska. Normally my wife and I would travel independently, but from June-August it sounds like it is really difficult to get lodging and most of the sites are very crowded. I have a feeling a tour that has reserved space might be the best way to do Alaska during the summer. Any suggestions if have in this regard would sure be appreciated.
Old Mar 6th, 2003, 06:19 PM

There are quite a few really good tour companies. You can check their internet sites and see what they offer. The tour companies I have experience with are...Collette Vacations, Globus, Tauck, Mayflower, Countrywide, and there are many more good ones. Have fun.
Old Mar 7th, 2003, 01:05 PM

genojim,

Split the difference..... go "self-guided."

Try Rainbow Mountain Adventures www.rainbowmtnadventures.com

I have worked with Rainbow Mountain directly, and have dealt with literally hundreds of their customers. And, as it should be with a reputable business, Rainbow Mountain is loved by their clients and vendors alike.

Finding lodging in Alaska is not as hard as some people suggest. Like any seasonal destination, there are really only two factors in securing your room(s).

1. What are you willing to spend?

It is easy enough to find hotels state wide in the $159.00 - $189.00 range. And, if you are up to it, rustic cabins are even less.

2. Do you make advanced reservations?

This is always a smart idea. Moreso in the wake of 9/11, the current fracas with Iraq, and the dividing of Europe over the issues, as Alaska is likely to see an upswing in domestic travel.

Old Apr 14th, 2003, 03:17 PM

If you normally prefer independent travel, I suggest doing the same in Alaska. My wife and I prefer independent as well, and were glad we decided to do it that way in Alaska. The highways are well maintained and hotels are abundant. The one "package" portion of our trip was the train ride from Anchorage to Denali, and while the Princess dome cars were great, I didn't care for the cruise vacation atmosphere - "it's time to eat now", "would you like to sign up for an excursion?", etc., etc.

Research the area you're going via Fodors, other travel books and The Milepost (which you'll find plenty of info on if you do a search) and good luck with whatever you decide.
Old Apr 16th, 2003, 05:00 PM

I second that. We didn't particularly enjoy the Denali area so we left after one day and went back to the Kenai Peninsula. We couldn't have had that flexibility with a tour.

Alaska is like anywhere else as far as getting around and finding hotels and restaurants.
Old Apr 17th, 2003, 06:07 AM
KMK

With a little planning & flexibility, you should be able to get lodging. Advanced reservations are preferable, but when we went a few years ago, the couple we went with stayed in Anchorage a few days after us - had no reservations anywhere and managed to snag a nice B&B at the last minute. (We are not normally B&B people, but sometimes in Alaska that is your best choice, both in terms of cost and availability.)

We did do some tour groups - but just small ones for areas we didn't feel comfortable doing on our own (we don't like the big cattle-herd group tours!) One company I recommend is Northern Alaska Tour Company (www.northernalaska.com). Their group sizes are quite small. We did the Prudhoe Bay Adventure and it was a lot of fun. That starts out of Fairbanks, and if you stay a night or two there, I highly recommend The 7 Gables Inn - wonderful accomodations, nice people, reasonable rates, delicious breakfasts.

In Valdez, we booked a private trip with Anadyr Adventures (wilderness lodge based kayaking). Don't know how adventurous you are, but we had a great time with them.

We skipped Denali (trying to avoid crowds) and did Wrangell-St. Elias instead, which is a great park (we're planning to go back!) You can either fly or be driven into Kennicott (don't recommend taking a rental car). We just stayed for the day, but there are some accomodations there - pricey, but not as pricey as the lodging inside Denali.

If you don't like planning, you can do a big tour group, but if you're willing to do a little planning, you can come up with a great trip & get to do & see everything you want. Also a good suggestion by the poster to use something like Rainbow Mountain Adventures, if you don't like to do the planning...I did all the planning myself (I love doing it!), but if you don't like the work, that would be a good way to get the trip you want. Good luck!
Old Apr 22nd, 2003, 06:13 AM

I have to totally agree with independent touring. It is NOT difficult to plan and greatly rewarded with being able to stop and see what you wish. You get very little "real Alaska" on most tours. Very few roads- you can't get lost. I book all my Alaska trips (just went on #15) less than 60 days ahead and have never had to sleep in the car. A necessary reference is THE MILEPOST, try your library for a copy. You honestly don't want to be on a fixed schedule with seasonal guides in a group. Alaska demands the ability to do what you wish. I strongly disagree on Denali Park though- it is never crowded since you are bused in. I always go on the SHUTTLE- not the tour buses, to at least Eielson, and always on the first bus out. Great benefit of possible empty seats and great wildlife viewing.
Old Apr 22nd, 2003, 06:15 PM

I agree wit taking the Denali N.P. shuttle bus (learned that tip here at Fodor's). We got there around 12:30 and had no trouble getting on the next bus around 1:00. It was less than half full. All the tour buses were packed and all the buses are old school buses and there is only one road.

The driver was very willing to share info and stop for wildlife viewing.

Take snacks and water. You will be on there 8 hours and there is no where to get either. Even Eilson doesn't have anything but a water fountain. You will have several restrooom stops.

Also, take wet wipes. The road is dusty and you will have the windows down. Take binocs. too. Several didn't have any and only saw spots instead of the grizzlies.