Search

Would like Restaurant and beach recommendations for Brewster

Search this Thread

Old Jun 3rd, 2018, 06:30 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Would like Restaurant and beach recommendations for Brewster

Hello,
My family and I are renting a house in Brewster in July for one week. There will be 6 adults and our 3 young grandchildren, who range in age from 3 years to 8 months. Can anyone recommend some bay beaches that will be good for young children? I have a list of Brewster beaches, but are some better than others for little children? We are looking for warm, shallow water, and no surf. What about beaches in Orleans and Eastham?

Can someone recommend casual, family friendly restaurants?

Where can we rent bikes in Brewster?

Thank you so much!
Old Jun 3rd, 2018, 10:06 PM

Received 26 Likes on 5 Posts
When we lived in the US our annual summer holiday was spent on Cape Cod; specifically, in Brewster. Paines Creek is ideal for little ones; at low tide you can walk forever and ever exploring the sand and the creatures. Breakwater was also another favorite. Being bayside, both are calm. PSA: keep the tide schedule handy!

Much of Cape Cod is casual; JT's and Cobie's (Brewster) were our go-to for lobster and fried clams after a day at the beach. The Brewster Coffee Shop made for a nice breakfast when I wasn't in the mood to cook. And don't miss a stop or two, or several, at the Brewster General Store. It was a highlight for all of us; the children would procure their daily $1 in penny candy, and I would collect Bayberry candles and tea towels to bring home.

Further afield, Grand Island in Wellfleet is spectacular for shelling at low tide; here in Vienna I have a crystal bowl filled with Common Jingle and a large Surf Clam shell holds paper clips on my desk. Mac's Seafood on the Wellfleet Pier was the setting for quite a few delicious seafood meals. For us, no Cape Cod holiday was complete without an evening at Red Barn Pizza with mini-golf, either.

Another PSA: become learned about horseshoe crabs! On one incredible morning beach combing there was a bounty of molt, so I created a little beach art.
Old Jun 4th, 2018, 05:14 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Fourfortravel, thank you so much for your helpful information. We live in Massachusetts and go to the Cape a lot, but this is the first time in a long time that we will have toddlers with us. And we have never stayed in Brewster, so I appreciate your advice based on firsthand knowledge. Breakwater and Paines Creek are on my list of beaches, along with some others, but we don't have time for all of them, so I will make sure we go to Breakwater and Paines Creek. Breakwater has the largest parking lot. I think Paines Creek has a small lot. We can't walk from where our rental house is located, so we will have to drive. I also plan on going to Skaket Beach in Orleans, which I know is perfect for toddlers.

And thanks for recommending JT's and Cobies and the Brewster Coffee Shop. I've heard of Cobies, but it's always nice to have firsthand recommendations. We love Wellfleet, too; that is usually where we stay. We like the Bookstore Restaurant and Mayo Beach, but my concern about Mayo is that it's hard to walk out during low tide because of the sharp clam shells. Where is Red Barn Pizza? My almost 3-year old grandson should be old enough for mini-golf (maybe with some help from his Dad!).

I love your photo!

BTW, I read your postings on the Europe board all the time! Sounds like you are having a grand time living in Vienna!
Old Jun 4th, 2018, 05:28 AM

Received 22 Likes on 4 Posts
Grumpies on 6A a lilttle east, good for breakfast and lunch. Lobster rolls , a special, used to be less expensive here. One more. Hild friendly beach, Orleans’ Skaket Beach. There are also many fresh water lakes in the area which offer warmer water temperatures. Our kids loved Pilgrim Lake in S. Orleans . Have a great vacation in Brewster.
Old Jun 4th, 2018, 06:36 AM

Received 26 Likes on 5 Posts
KarenWoo, thank you! We love living in landlocked Vienna, but we do miss Cape Cod. Indeed, Breakwater has a much larger parking lot.

Red Barn Pizza is in Eastham, directly off US-6. You can't miss it as you're driving along. Large parking lot, so no worries there.

Enjoy the Cape for us!