Would like feedback on Hertz/Avis at SEATAC

Old Aug 20th, 2000, 04:39 AM
norena

Would like feedback on Hertz/Avis at SEATAC

We would like to book a midsize car for several days at the end of September at Seattle Airport (SEATAC). Has anyone had any good or "bad" experiences, they can share, with either Hertz or Avis at this Seattle location?

We are mainly concerned with probability of their having our selected class type car and dependability and condition of their cars (especially Hertz).

Thank you for any information you can provide.

Old Aug 20th, 2000, 05:11 AM
Bob Brown

I have used both Avis and Hertz at Seatac. In my experience, I took the car that was available. The last time, we had a Hyundai. It was an ok car, in good condition, but not my first choice mind you. It is the only car I ever drove with a tachometer that redlined at 7200!! And it needed it! In a previous year at Seatac, we lucked out and got a Toyota Corolla.
But in my experience with Avis and Hertz anywhere is that you take what is available or you can wait for a couple of hours. Last year in Calgary, for example, we had reserved a compact and ended up in a Ford Taurus wagon at tge same price. It was either that or stand around for an indefinite time waiting for a car.
The best pick is a Toyota Camry, but Hertz tends to charge a lot for them, as I found out in Phoenix in May.
The rental return is in Seattle is quite convenient, virtually co-located with the check-in counters. As I recall, both Hertz and Avis are on the first tier of the parking garage. All of my Seattle rentals have been painless, except for the time I made a mistake and used Snappy, which is off airport. But that was 10 years ago.

Old Aug 20th, 2000, 05:29 AM
cjaye

We rented a midsize car (Mercury Sable) in July from Hertz for one week. We noticed a horrible engine noise from the first car we were given immediately after pulling off the lot. When we returned to complain, we were given another Sable, which included a sunroof, without any difficulty and no additional charge.

Old Aug 20th, 2000, 06:21 AM
howard

The most significant thing I remember about our car rental experience at SEATAC is how great and convenient it is to obtain the car at arrival and return it at departure. We've never encountered a more user-friendly car rental system at an airport.

Old Aug 20th, 2000, 11:33 AM
jamie

A word of advice- check the car over before you leave the lot. I rented from avis at that location a couple of years ago. The car felt out of alignment, and a few days into my trip the handling got worse. Obviously this car had been out of alignment for awhile, because even though it only had about 10,000 miles, the tire treads were completely worn in some areas(unevenly). I found this out when I got a flat. I had to spend a day of my trip complaining to the avis people, then waiting to get both of the front tires replaced (which avis paid for). I made a formal complaint to management afterwards that they inspect their cars better- but got no reply. So now I make sure I inspect the car, I even keep a small flashlight in my purse when I travel in case I arrive at night, just so I can make the inspections.

Old Sep 12th, 2000, 05:28 AM
Jackie

Norena,

Maybe this is too late for you. Just saw your message having returned from 2 weeks in the NW, flying into Seattle (from Boston) and flying home from San Francisco. We drove down the coast and it was spectacular. Anyway, I always check out car rental prices on a site like Expedia. We wound up renting from National at Seattle at a GREAT price for an SUV and no drop off charges at all in SF. Car was excellent as was service. It all went like clockwork.

We've rented from five or six different agencies around the country and have only had problems with Alamo.

Have a wonderful time.