Reload this Page >

Would kids enjoy Arizona in Feb?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 29th, 2001, 10:02 AM
bennie

I'm thinking we'd like to do a warm weather vacation in February. Since 90% of the population of Massachusetts tries to go to Florida during Feb vacation week, I thought we should zig whenever one else is zagging.

Been reading the boards trying to get ideas. Did a search, sounds like there's stuff for us but wanted to see if other families enjoy this time of year etc. So what resort would be good for a family of 4, kids aged 6 and 9 that love to swim, hike, dad likes to golf, mom likes shopping, maybe a jeep tour. Can't spend megabucks. Thanks in advance for your assistance.

Old Aug 29th, 2001, 10:38 AM
joanne

I don't think Arizona is swimming weather in Feb.. However,KIDS might swim if the pool is heated. Hilton Squaw Peak is usually reasonable, and has a water park of sorts for kids. I would go to SOUTH Florida if you are looking for swimming, and sun. Even central Fla can be dicey in Feb--ie not really 'swimming' weather, although sunny and pleasant.

Old Aug 29th, 2001, 02:47 PM
Karen

I believe all Arizona resort/hotel/motel pools are heated during the winter. It is not my cup of tea to get out of a warm pool into cool air, but that doesn't seem to stop tourists who absolutely flock to the pools in this area. Golf can be really expensive at that time of year, but stick to courses that locals play and you'll find the costs a little friendlier to the wallet. Jeep tours can be arranged thru your hotel/motel desk clerks, or concierge...loads of stuff to do here with or without kids and, hopefully, the weather will cooperate. Go ahead and check out accomodations and make your reservations now...that is the height of tourist season.

Old Aug 30th, 2001, 05:12 AM
bennie

Karen and Joanne - thanks for the info.I just checked out the weather channel and they say the average high in Feb is 70. So I'd have to agree that we'd like it to be a little warmer (though you hit the nail on the head when it comes to the kids - they'd swim in any weather).

I checked out the Hilton Squaw Peak and its looks great. Just what we were looking for.

Maybe we should hold off until April. Is this a busy time also?

Old Aug 30th, 2001, 06:06 AM
Jan

Weather really warms up from Feb to April. April is my favorite month in PHX, with the desert in bloom and nice weather. Prices start to go down as May arrives.

Old Aug 30th, 2001, 09:45 AM
Monique

Hi we just stayed in June at Tapatio Hilton right near squaw peak. What a great deal on room prices. It was a 2 room suite with plenty of room for our family of five. We picked it over Squaw peak because the kids club their was FREE!!! My kids loved the water slide and the food and service wre great. It was really spread out ad the cabanas were nice. Lots of scheduled activites including evening barbecues. I will be going back. Feb in Arizona can vary greatly in weather but I say give it a shot.

Old Aug 30th, 2001, 10:00 AM
Bennie

Monique - are the two resorts (Squaw and Tapation related? I know they share the websitte but are they located near each other? Is one more upscale than the other? Tapatio has better rates for April. Did your kids enjoy the children's activities? How was the pool? Any info would be appreciated.

Old Aug 30th, 2001, 10:16 AM
joanne

They are both owned by Hilton. There is a shuttle running back abd forth between them, I believe, but is about a 15 minute drive or so as I recall. I stayed at Squaw Peak, but went to Tapatio to take my daughter horseback riding. Also, Tapatio has a golf course, but Squaw Peak does not. I am pretty certain if you stay at Tapatio, you CANNOT get access to the 'water park' at SP, which is better than the Tapatio. My kids loved SP-- we stayed for 4 days and never left the place (except for the horseback riding) Restaurants, though certainly not gourmet, were good for families with kids. There is a mexican restaurant affiliated with the hotel within walking. Although we had a car, I walked down to the Walgreens nearby and picked up sodas and snacks, and the rooms have refig and micro. Others on the board have have said its slightly run-down, but I didn't really think so. I had gotten a great deal on a 2 level casita, so perhaps that colored my view. Nonetheless, kids love it, and any time of year its more reasonable than the other Phoenix, Scottsdale resorts.

Old Aug 30th, 2001, 10:52 AM
bennie

Joanne, Karen & Monique - thank you so much for taking the time to respond to my questions.

Joanne - If you stay at Tapatio you can't use the Squaw water park, but I bet if you stay at Squaw you could golf at Tapatio. Does this sound right?

I love the idea of not having to leave the resort - but of course we will because we'll want to see stuff. But its nice to come back from a day trip and have a restaurant to eat at, a great pool to swim in etc.

Here's a million dollar question - how far is it to the Grand Canyon? Its unlikely we'll be out in that part of the US again real soon so we would be crazy not to go there but how long should we plan for. Its looks like at least overnight or is it possible to do in a day?

This is really sounding like our kind of place. Now we just have to pay for it!!!

Old Aug 30th, 2001, 04:42 PM
Karen

If you have the option of waiting for your trip until April, you'll think you've died and gone to Heaven. As with almost any area, February can be IFFY, although our iffy is usually better than most other areas. We live within a mile and half of Pointe Tapatio and think you would be satisfied with both Tapatio or Squaw Peak. Good location for getting around the valley for touristy sights and restaurants, although there is nothing wrong with the restaurants on site....we and our neighbors often eat at Tapatio. The two resorts are within three miles of each other and, as someone said, at Squaw Peak there is a very close, good Mexican restaurant, Aunt Chilada's....picturesque and good food. I'm sure there will be no trouble getting onto the golf course and rates during April will be somewhat lower than February, although, at that time, there will be even better rates at other courses.....Other very close courses to either Squaw Peak or Tapatio are Cave Creek GC or Stonecreek GC, very easy to get to from either resort...Cave Creek is a city course and the price is right, Stonecreek is higher in price, both good courses.

Old Aug 31st, 2001, 04:53 AM
bennie

Once again thank you for the info. So nice to receive valuable advise. Looks like we're going to do it. Have made ressies at Tapatio but will check on Squaw to see if we can get a better rate.

Old Aug 31st, 2001, 06:00 AM
joanne

Per mapquest, from Tapatio to Grand CAnyon, 221 miles or 4 hours 38 minutes. PS Check Hilton's website often to see about rates--they change very often, and you might be able to pick up a special at Tapatio.

We don't golf, but I'm sure if you stay at SP you can have access to Tapatio--it may even be a public course.

Old Aug 31st, 2001, 06:02 AM
joanne

PPS If you decide not to go to Grand Canyon, at least take a day trip to Sedona--beautiful canyons and 'red rocks' They do the pink jeep tours there also.

Old Aug 31st, 2001, 08:35 AM
steph

One of the places in Arizona I love and
I think your kids would is Out of Africa
wildlife park - it could be approx a
45 min drive from Phoenix, but worth it - better than any zoo.

Grand Canyon is about 5 hour drive from Phoenix. Worth seeing - but you might want to spend the night so you can take your time and enjoy it.

Old Aug 31st, 2001, 09:25 AM
bennie

Thanks again for the info on the Grand Canyon. It sounds like we could easily fit it in by staying overnight. How about recommendations for a inexpensive, but clean and safe motel at the Grand Canyon?

Old Sep 5th, 2001, 08:46 AM
stephanie

I stayed at the Maswik Lodge, within the park - it's more convenient and you're in nicer surroundings overall. This lodge was OK - more rustic, simple, no carpeting. I don't remember prices -it was 6 years ago. Try www.arizona.com, or
www.grandcanyon.areaparks.com - you can navigate from there to get more detailed info on Park lodges or hotels/motels in the surrounding towns.

Old Sep 8th, 2001, 08:02 PM
Monique

Hi, just wanted to let you know that my kids LOVED the activities. My 4 year old still has the rock she decorated. There were a variety of things for all ages. Such as parafin hand treatments for older girls and relay races and treasure hunts for the boys. They really went all out in my opinion. There were games you could borrow and take back to your room. They gave the kids a welcome pack with sunscreen and backpacks. The waterslide was fun and my kids enjoyed that. There were to seperate pools upper and lower that were HUGE. Beach entry and waterfalls. One was really warm and one was chilly depending on your taste you would be happy with the choice. There was so much pool space that it just didn't seem to noisy or crowded. Lots of families but it was still relaxing. Well behaved and friendly kids. They had a poolside barbecue scheduled one night with music and drink specials. They also had dive in movies scheduled one night. Away from there and closer to the rooms they had yet another family pool and a seperate adults only pool. I really wish we had stayed longer. We will be going back but we on our way to Puerto Penasco in Mexico which is a 2 1/2 hour drive from Pheonix. I loved it there as well. Great beach. I have been to the Grand Canyon but don't ever want to go back. My hubby and I were almost killed by carbon monoxide poisoning from a wall heater of a hotel in Williams AZ. He was hospitalized for 4 days with a collapsed lung. But that's another story. Just don't stay at the Williams Courtesy INN. LOL! I hope you have a great trip.

Old Sep 9th, 2001, 04:55 AM
steve

I agree with Karen that if you can go in April instead of Feb. then you are alomst guarenteed warm (maybe hot to someone from Mass) weather

Out of Africa is a very good choice for a unique animal experience. For a 'old west' local experience, you might consider taking them to Goldfield, just east of APache Jct.