COVID-19 Travel Advisory: Stay up to date with the latest on the coronavirus pandemic.   Learn More >

Worst Travel Tips

Old Apr 16th, 2006, 07:57 AM
Original Poster

Worst Travel Tips

Our Sunday paper had a neat article in the travel section today. The writer listed, in his opinion, the eight worst travel tips that people give. See if you agree, and if there are more that you have received.

1) Forget about guidebooks.
2) Shop around. (If you see something you like, don't buy it. Shop around, you might find something better.)
3) Skimp on sightseeing. (Entrance fees to places like the Leaning Tower and Empire State Bldg are horrendous--not worth it)
4) Pack Converse All-stars and heels.
5) Find a cheap hotel on the outskirts.
6) Forget about the collision damage waiver on rental cars.
7) Take Dad's old trunk. Don't waste money on expensive luggage.
8) Save money at all costs.
Old Apr 16th, 2006, 08:19 AM

#9. Travel w/someone just to save
money which would qualify for the
"Roomate rom Hell".
#10. Overseas, only eat at American Fast Food joints. After all, you don't want to eat "their Funny Food".
#11. Pack only T's and jeans for
cruises. Goes over exceedingly well
on formal nights.
#12. Do not learn foreign currency.
just put your Hand out w/euros or
whatever and say, "Take what you
need."
Old Apr 16th, 2006, 08:55 AM

*Don't book rooms ahead--especially during peak tourist season and over weekend holidays.
*Select rooms using the philosophy that they are just a place to "crap out"--pleasant surroundings are not important.
*While traveling in Europe, insist on a traditional breakfast of eggs, bacon, potatoes, pancakes, etc.
*When traveling in developing countries, stay only in well-known chain hotels, avoid public transportation, stay out of parks and other places where locals gather.
Old Apr 16th, 2006, 08:56 AM

I forgot, this is really the worst tip I ever got: "Skip Venice, it's crowded and smelly."
Old Apr 16th, 2006, 09:02 AM

Worry about what people in other countries will think of your attire.

Don't spend money on an air conditioned hotel especially if you are in a city that is humid because it is a waste.

Always rent a car when you go overseas because it is the best way to travel.

The only hotels worth staying in don't belong to any chains.

Only tourists eat in fast food restaurants overseas

The only tourists in foreign countries are from the U.S.

Don't go to any "tourist traps" like the Eiffel Tower and the Leaning Tower because the only people who go there are from Japan

Make sure you have lots of Euros to spend in the UK.

Always take traveler's checks because they are good everywhere you go.

Wearing a money belt makes you look like a tourist and a stupid one at that. You can always thwart pickpockets.

Don't waste your money tipping tour guides; they make a lot more money than you do.

The most expensive luggage is always the best.

Old Apr 16th, 2006, 09:28 AM

13. In wine country, look for the largest wineries with the most tourists. They are that popular, they must be great.
14. Pack extra sweaters and jackets and heavy things cause you never know when it might be cold. (weather.com?)
15. Don't bother learning any of the language or expressions because you will only sound stupid. Merci, madame.
16.Why pay the extra cost of trip insurance?
17. Yes, the roads are bad and unmarked and it's unsafe in many areas, but just use your head.
Old Apr 16th, 2006, 09:32 AM

I wonder how much the car rental industry paid the writer to include tip #6 in the article?
Old Apr 16th, 2006, 09:52 AM
Neopolitan

tracy, I looked at that one twice, but think I misjudged it the first time. I think the writer meant it was bad advice to ignore the oportunity to decline the collision damage waiver. Or in other words bad advice to forget about the dameage waiver option. Is that possible? Certainly in my case, declining it saved us about $1000 when we totaled a rental car.

Old Apr 16th, 2006, 10:01 AM
Neopolitan

Recently right here on Fodor's when I mentioned that I was surprised to arrive in New York in 2001 to find record breaking 90 degree temperatures, one New Yorker insisted that she would have told me 90 degree heat waves are "quite likely" the first week of May. She also said that she'd advise anyone going to Los Angeles in May NOT to even take a sweater. Now those are examples of bad advice!

Old Apr 16th, 2006, 10:57 AM

18) Leave your kids at home with Grandma.
19) If you can't go when the weather is perfect, don't go at all.
20) If you can't afford to stay a whole month, don't go.
21) Make sure you have everything pre-booked, including meals, taxis, and full day tours. Otherwise you might end up having some free time, and that's travel time wasted!
Old Apr 16th, 2006, 02:07 PM

Be sure not to leave the resort grounds at any time when in the Caribbean - it's dangerous.

Old Apr 16th, 2006, 05:01 PM
Original Poster

This is actually what the writer said about the collision waiver:

"Some people will argue this one, but the collision damage waiver on rental cars can be worth the peace of mind, esp. in a foreign country. The rules of the road (not to mention the signs) abroad will be strange to you, and your chances of getting into an accident are considerably higher than they are back home. Credit cards often cover the CDW; if yours doesn't, skip the rental agency's over-priced policy and buy Travel Guard's $9 daily coverage."

BTW, these are hilarious! What's even funnier is that people have actually given lots of these tips thinking that they really do help!
Old Apr 16th, 2006, 05:34 PM

The Starbucks Card: Don't leave home without it!
Old Apr 16th, 2006, 06:47 PM

Yes, those are the worst of travel tips.

If you're going to spend your money and time, and hope to enjoy the "experience", all of those "tips" are positively ridiculout.

You thought this was a "neat" article?
Old Apr 16th, 2006, 07:03 PM
Neopolitan

Now I'm confused. Are you saying that those tips are GOOD and not BAD ones, djkbooks? Or are you agreeing with the article that these are indeed the worst travel tips. And if so, then why isn't the article "neat".

Old Apr 16th, 2006, 07:44 PM

the railway to Zermatt isn't included in my EurailPass. Why don't I stay here in Visp rather than see the Matterhorn
Old Apr 16th, 2006, 07:49 PM

#21 Make sure to take your pets, they like nothing better than travelling, spending time in foreign places, and being left alone while you are off having dinner.
Old Apr 17th, 2006, 12:10 AM

(1) When abroad to avoid an upset tummy only ever eat in restaurants that you are familiar with back at home - Planet Hollywood, Hard Rock, McDonalds, Starbucks, KFC - you can't go wrong with these!

(2) The water in India is actually safe to drink, it's just the difference in mineral content that will upset your tummy, otherwise its fine after 24 hours

(3)After you've visited Tower Bridge in London visit Tower Hamlets
Old Apr 17th, 2006, 01:16 AM

Turn left, and it's there - you can't miss it"
Old Apr 17th, 2006, 03:57 AM
Original Poster

djkbooks, I thought the article was interesting because we always receive tips, whether they are solicited or not, from friends and family. So it's interesting to read about the worst of them. To tell you the truth, I enjoy reading many articles about travel. And I enjoy reading list-type things, so this one immediately caught my eye, and I thought I'd share. And I think that the point of the article was to show just how ridiculous some tips can be.

Intrepid--I remember right out of high school when I went to Italy, my parents bought me a money belt. I was so embarrassed, but I went ahead and used it. All of my friends who carried their money in their pockets were picked, and I was the only one with my money! Parents know best...

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Do Not Sell My Personal Information

FODOR'S VIDEO