Search

cheap sleeps in nyc

Search this Thread

Old Mar 12th, 2001, 12:50 PM
Buzz

cheap sleeps in nyc

I have no interest in spending any more time in my hotel room than I absolutely have to. I require a bed with clean sheets and a shower. Other than that, my needs are few. Can anyone suggest CHEAP sleeps for a first-timer in a safe area, close to a subway stop? No preferences as to what burough.
Thanks...

Old Mar 12th, 2001, 12:55 PM
Anne

Sounds like what you what is a hostel. Check out the YMCA near Port Authority.

Old Mar 12th, 2001, 01:14 PM
Owen O'Neill

Believe it or not... I suspect the best deals based on your criteria will be in Manhattan. If there are "Y" housing options or hostels in outer boroughs they're likely to be close to the same prices as similar accomodations in Manhattan. The "Y" is a good suggestion and there are a number of hostels available. Hostel prices will be in the $22-30 per person range and you'll be sharing a room. If you don't mind shharing a bath there are a number hotels available that offer rooms with shared baths. I've stayed in a few and never found it an inconvenience (to speak of). I would check first to see how many rooms share a given bath. If it's more than 4-6 rooms you may run into bathroom availability problems at certain times of the day. Such rooms will cost from he high $50's to high 80's per night and among those worth investigating are: Habitat Hotel, Malibu Studios, Pickwick Arms and Hotel 17. I have stayed in one of them but have seen all mentioned in this forum.

Old Mar 12th, 2001, 01:32 PM
Caitlin

Of the hotels mentioned by Owen mentioned, the Malibu Studios should be cheapest. I have a friend with the same requirements as you and he has found it clean and satisfactory. He paid around $50, though that was in the fall and it may be more in the summer. One note is that they don't supply towels, and there are no TVs or in-room phones. It is on Broadway around 109th, I believe, a safe area near Columbia U. and about a block from the subway. Manhattan Ys run around $65/night I believe, and are often booked pretty far in advance.

Old Mar 12th, 2001, 06:47 PM
rqf

Malibu Studios is at 103rd and Broadway. Subway station is at the corner of 103rd.
It is a four story building and I don't believe it has an elevator. Would also check to see if rooms are air conditioned. Good neighborhood with lots of inexpensive restaurants.

Old Mar 12th, 2001, 09:34 PM
Amy

I recently stayed at the East Village Bed and Coffee ($75 per night) and found it to be perfect. We loved the East Village. The hotel has a common area which has a phone, TV and kitchen (we had a small TV in our room) The bathroom is shared, but it was not a problem.
Their website is: http://eastvillagebed.citysearch.com/

Old Mar 15th, 2001, 12:45 PM
sc

Does anyone have a clue as to how to contact the Malibu Studios? An email address or phone #? Sounds interesting and inexpensive.

Old Mar 15th, 2001, 03:12 PM
Caitlin

Here ya go:

Malibu Studios
2688 Broadway, at 103rd St.
New York Phone: 212/222-2954 or 800/647-2227
Fax: 212/678-6842