Winter season-Not Florida

Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 12th, 2008, 07:49 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Looking for a new place to "winter" next winter, and Florida is not on the list. (Already been in FL for a few years). It must, at least, be Florida warm!
Old Feb 12th, 2008, 07:52 AM
GoTravel

Hawaii, Puerto Rico, St. Thomas, South Padre Island Texas.

I'm assuming you mean US only.

Old Feb 12th, 2008, 08:21 AM

What about Phoenix or somewhere else in the Southwest?

Another possibility could be Southern California.
Old Feb 12th, 2008, 11:14 AM

You say it must be "Florida warm". Well, do you mean "South Florida warm" or "North Florida warm"? There is a BIG difference.

Remember, South Florida is the only sub-tropical region in the continental U.S.

A friend's mother just got back from a month in Phoenix, and it was so cold she said she will never go back in the winter. She is used to Fort Lauderdale in the winter.

I lived in San Diego / Newport Beach for a couple years, and I actually saw it snow there in the winter. And it is the rainy season there, also (nothing worse than a few cold days in the low and mid 40's with rain).

Gee, Hawaii is really sounding nice about this time!

Old Feb 12th, 2008, 11:46 AM

The only mostly warmish place in the continental U.S. in the winter is south Florida. To get warmer, go to Hawaii or anywhere in the Caribbean. Jamaica, Cayman Is., Mayan Riviera of MX are a short hop from Miami. Many other Caribbean islands are only 2-3 hours from MIA.
Also there is the west coast of Mexico from Puerto Vallarta to Zihuatanejo.
Old Feb 13th, 2008, 09:30 AM

I agree with Phoenix being cold. Winter is not at all warm like many would think. They are in the desert and it get mighty cold at night in the winter.

If you are looking for S. Florida warm you need to stay in that region or go to Hawaii.
Old Feb 13th, 2008, 11:03 AM
dmlove

Phoenix and Southern California are not "Florida warm" in the winter, as others have said. Typical highs for February 13th are 69 degrees in Phoenix and 70 in LA.

Old Feb 13th, 2008, 11:27 AM
GoTravel

xken, South Padre Island Texas is just as warm as Miami and the keys during the winter.

Old Feb 13th, 2008, 11:44 AM

< South Padre Island Texas is just as warm as Miami... >

Yes, and actually you could add the entire Rio Grande Valley to that observation.
Old Feb 13th, 2008, 12:36 PM

My parents used to rent a condo for January and February in Puerto Vallarta for several years. At that time, the peso was low against the dollar and they were able to get a gorgeous place on Olas Altos beach with a wrap around balcony overlooking the Bay of Banderas and the mountains for dirt cheap. Realized that you posted this on the US board, but consider Mexico as an option. There was a rooftop pool and the restaurant on the first floor ran a beach concession. We thought we were millionaires as we had daily maid service and our own private waiter on the beach to cater to our needs. We did fun day trips to Guadalajara and other places and sightseeing trips to the jungle. Trust me, it was as warm if not warmer than Florida and none of us got sick either.
Old Feb 13th, 2008, 02:34 PM

We absolutely froze during the winter in Panama City when we lived there. Not a warm destination at all.
Old Feb 13th, 2008, 04:00 PM

Gotravel, the average day and nitetime temperatures in the winter are about 7-8 degrees cooler in the Brownsville/So.Padre area than in the southeasternmost Florida and Keys. The Texas location is more like the Tampa-Orlando area in Florida. All this can be viewed in the seasonal averages section in www.wunderground.com It is misleading to the O.P. to make such statements, and to come out and criticise me for posting what are facts.
Old Feb 13th, 2008, 04:19 PM
GoTravel

How odd. The lattitude for South Padre is almost the same as Naples Florida.

Old Feb 13th, 2008, 06:35 PM

Latitude is only part of the answer.
Some winter cold fronts swing further south around Texas than they do for FL. Also the northern and western Gulf of Mexico has cooler water temps. in the winter than SE Florida/Keys.
Old Feb 13th, 2008, 07:34 PM

"The lattitude for South Padre is almost the same as Naples Florida."

Maybe so, but Naples has a whole lot more ATTITUDE than South Padre.
LOL
Old Feb 14th, 2008, 03:50 AM
Original Poster

Sorry folks, my question was too broad. We have stayed in Florida - Sarasota, St. Pete, and now St. Augustine. Weather is one thing, but we have dogs, and they travel with us. Hawaii and Mexico and any islands that require flying are out. St. Augustine weather is a little cool for one of us, but it does warm up nicely in the afternoon. I have never been to Texas, so that may be of interest. We have been to Tucson. Thanks for your input.
Old Feb 14th, 2008, 04:55 AM

Wopel, why not try far south in Florida? You'll have even warmer weather than you previously had, and have a bunch of new things to see.
Old Feb 14th, 2008, 05:44 AM

wopel. I live in Naples, far southwest coast of Florida. Even the plants in our yard can't be grown in St. Augustine or St. Petersburg. There is Florida and then there is Florida, when it comes to warmth. We're talking about probably an average of at least 10 degrees difference in the winter, often more.

As others have said, I'm not sure how you're going to get that in Texas or certainly not along the rest of the Gulf or Atlantic coasts!
Old Feb 14th, 2008, 05:52 AM

How about the Florida Keys?
Old Feb 14th, 2008, 03:57 PM

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
You can drive to Mexico.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -