Winter months in warm climes

Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 10th, 2003, 07:46 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Would like to hear from midwest or northern folks who spend the winter months in warmer climes. Is three months too long to be gone from home and family or do you find lots to do? Thinking Florida
Old Apr 11th, 2003, 03:43 AM

I have a retired Aunt and Uncle from Michigan who spend three months (January, February, and March) in Sarasota. They LOVE it. They have an open invitation for family to visit. They are always going to play tennis or walk on the beach, etc. I live in New Jersey and when my children are grown, I'm a goin south. Can't do winter anymore. I just don't know how folks in the really cold states do it. (And I am a native Michigander)
Old Apr 11th, 2003, 05:06 AM
OliveOyl

My parents left MA Nov. 1 every winter, and spent the winter in Bonita Beach, west coast of FL. They didn't return "home" until mid April. They had a condo in a small bldg on the beach and the same folks, primarily from the midwest, returned every winter to the same spot. They had a fun "gang" that gathered each day on the beach...Scrabble games, bridge, cocktail parties some evenings, or just chatting. They all became good friends and had a terrific time.

Leaving home was somewhat of an undertaking as our home was in the Berkshires, an area that gets much colder than most of MA, plus it was a 1920s era colonial which meant pipes and heating could not be entirely relied upon in an extended absence with the possibility of extreme temperatures. They drained all their pipes and shut down the heating system each winter, arranged to have the driveway plowed and the walks shoveled so the home would appear to be occupied, but stayed away carefree otherwise. It was a great lifestyle: beach/sunshine/friends vs snow/interminable clouds/being shut up inside for months.

I now live in FL and have a boat in the little community of Gulfport near St Pete Beach. We run there occasionally and always enjoy watching the snowbirds in Gulfport's waterside park...they've got al fresco ballroom dancing--really cute to see--bocci etc. New communities form with the people who come in for the winter and they genuinely seem to enjoy life to the fullest.

Old Apr 11th, 2003, 05:34 AM

I agree with all the above. My Mother lives in Sarasota in the winter months, and now considers that "home" more so than here. She bought a beachfront house, and loves it. Actually she doesnt even own a house up here anymore. Most of her "friends" are now those that live there, or other snowbirds like herself. She plays bridge, goes to movies, eats out a lot etc. And spends evenings wathcing the fabulous sunsets on Siesta Key! You can keep as busy as you like, or not at all. Its up to you and your lifestyle choices. I dont think she has ANY regrets. It certainly may take some adjusting at first, but coming from the north, the easiest thing to adjust to is the weather Now she complains when she comes home for Christmas that she can no longer take the cold And of course a steady stream of family and friends visit from "up north" all winter long. Life is what you make it they say! And retirement should be fun. Best of luck.
Old Apr 11th, 2003, 08:13 AM

Wisconsin has very high state taxes. Many retired Wisconsinites spend at least 6 months in FL (or elsewhere) so that they can claim that as their home state for tax purposes. My parents' next door neighbors maintained homes in both places. Their family in Wisconsin kept an eye on their house and visited them there for Christmas and/or spring vacations.

As far as the question about having enough to do....chances are if you are retirement age you will either know some old friends who spend winters down there too or you will easily make friends in retirement communities down there. The other option is stay here and spend 4-5 months hunkered down in your home all winter. I'd take the sunshine if I were you.
Old Apr 11th, 2003, 12:54 PM

My Michigander folks take off every year in January (getting closer and closer to right after Xmas every year) and head to Sedona for three months. They rent a condo on a golf course and golf golf golf away!! It was a bit more complex for them until they sold their older home and bought a condo, now they're virtually care free while "on extended leave". I run by and make sure everything's OK at their "summer home" and let them keep focussed on their golf game. I'll say one thing, it sure give me goals for my retirement!!!
Old Apr 11th, 2003, 05:04 PM

moved from long island n.y.12 yrs.ago to hudson fl.quiet west coast town.live on canal,boat,fish,golf,relaxe
365 days a year.no more hibernating 6 months up north for me.if you like warm weather &the outdoors head south.if you like cold indoors stay up north , the choice is yours.p.s. if you do come leave northern attitude up north!
Old Apr 11th, 2003, 05:22 PM
Original Poster

Thanks everyone for the encouragement. We are looking forward to spending our winters in Bonita Springs. Sounds terrific!!