Search

Winter in Maine?

Search this Thread

Old Aug 7th, 1999, 05:56 PM
Beth

Winter in Maine?

My husband & I are looking for a relaxing place to spend a week in February. I have always thought Maine would be a romantic place, but wondered about the weather & things to do that time of year. Am hoping to get some advice.

Old Aug 7th, 1999, 06:37 PM
Decent Tropical

Maine is VERY COLD and snowy during the winter. Is this what you want?

Old Aug 7th, 1999, 07:52 PM
Donna

Maine is tres romantic, but winter there is tres DREARY! Have you considered STOWE, VT?

Old Aug 9th, 1999, 12:13 PM
Audrey

It's a personal thing, but I find the coast of Maine romantic at any time of year; see if Arrows Restaurant in Ogunquit is open at that time of year; or head to Kennebunkport to the White Barn Inn. I do not, repeat do not, feel the same way about interior Maine in the dead of winter. Fore Street in Portland is a lovely restaurant too...

Old Aug 9th, 1999, 12:24 PM
Beth

well, the interior of Maine can be nice too, if you want to ski or go on sleigh-rides. The Bethel area which includes the Sunday River ski area has good downhill and x-country, and nice restaurants.

As for the coast, I think that could be romantic, but probably not for a whole week. Not sure what you would do. One can only take so many walks on the windswept, icy beach.

Old Aug 9th, 1999, 12:37 PM
Mary

Beth, having lived in Maine you need to consider that you can get trapped by the weather--ice storms are prevelant in February and can make travel highly difficult. Also, the previous poster is correct--winter at that time of year can be very dreary--if you ski, that is another story. . .I don't know where you live, but last February my husband and I took a cheap Southwest flight to Santa Fe and it was wonderful--cold, but sunny and lots to do--just a thought.