Reload this Page >

Winter Games 2002 Update

Search

Winter Games 2002 Update

Search this Thread

Old Feb 6th, 2002, 07:58 AM
Dayle

Winter Games 2002 Update

Hi Everyone! We are so excited here in Park City that I wanted to give you an update on preparations.

The torch arrived in Provo, UT last night to a welcome of over 30,000 people at BYU stadium. It arrives in Park City Thursday 1pm where a celebration will be held on Historic Main Street.

All the grandstands, banners, media trailers, temporary medical clinics, etc., etc. are ready to go. The giant banners on the grandstands and downtown highrises look great! The race courses are ready & the teams are out practicing under perfect, beautiful blue skies. We call them "bluebird days" for skiing.

For those driving - be aware that there are thousands of extra Highway Patrol officers out there - watch your speeds. Utah doesn't have an autobahn!

The shuttles buses are ready to go. Imagine a parking lot full of hundreds of buses. Not a pretty sight, but still quite a sight.

SLC is under a high pressure weather front right now which means cold air trapped in the lower parts of the valley, fog & smog. Yuck. Mountains are gorgeous and warmer at 8000 ft. than in the valley at 4000 ft. Storm expected to come through on Friday just in time for the Opening Ceremonies.

Fodorites GTG at my house in Park City on evening Thursday, Feb 21st. Write if you're attending & would like to join us!

Welcome to the 2002 Winter Games!

Old Feb 6th, 2002, 08:38 AM
Graty

interesting offer, anybody taking him up on it?

Old Feb 6th, 2002, 06:25 PM
Topper

tt

Old Feb 6th, 2002, 06:48 PM
John

Dayle...since you're in park City, can you help me out with the answer to my question?

I'll be at an event at Olympic Park but want to have lunch afterward in Park City...do you know approximately how long they are expecting that to take? I know it will probably take longer than usual but want to make sure my reservation is at the correct time!

Old Feb 6th, 2002, 08:55 PM
Dayle

John, sorry but when it comes to the Olympics I can't even begin to guess. I think you might expect at least an hour to get on a shuttle bus over to town, kind of like a big concert or football game where everyone gets out at the same time & has to exit the parking lot....normally it would only take you 10 minutes to drive to Historical Main Street from Olympic Park. We don't really have a lot of traffic up here!

Old Feb 6th, 2002, 11:17 PM
Shadow

Dayle- Thanks for the update! It must be great to be there now! We leave on the 17th and will arrive on the 18 for the second week. We are so excited!

We won't be able to make it to the get-together because we'll be at the Ladies Free Skate Final!

Will it be really difficult to eat in Park City without a reservation-even for lunch? Is it too late to try to make reservations?

Will you continue to update us on how things are going such as: traffic, are folks getting into the venues in time with security, whats the atmosphere up in Park City like? Or whatever you can tell us! That would be such a great help.

Thanks so much for all your help!
Shadow

Old Feb 7th, 2002, 05:48 AM
x

After observing the behavior of the "Fodorites" on this board this week, the last thing I would want is any of them in or near my house!!!!