Search

Wine in March?

Search this Thread

Old Dec 3rd, 2000, 11:53 AM
Michelle Ward

Wine in March?

I am planning a vacation to Napa and Sonoma for my husband and I in early March. I would like to know what the weather would be like and if I am just setting us up for a rainy week.
Also, I am looking at staying at the following choices: The Gaige Inn, The Vintage Inn and Auberge du Soleil. Does anybody have any feedback-both positive and negative would be appreciated.
Thanks!
Michelle Ward

Old Dec 3rd, 2000, 08:26 PM
Kay

March is sooo unpredictable.. Our rain is usually Jan. & Feb. BUT you never know.Sometimes March is windy and a little chilly but very refreshing. Your lodging choices are great! Auberge is a little expensive but has wonderful food and views the whole valley.The Vintage Inn is in Yountville (1/2 way between Napa and St.Helena) The ambiance is a little "motel-like" but rooms are exceptional and the garden setting is relaxing. Plus it is within walking distance of several fine resturants AND a great place for breakfast, called The Diner is almost next door.
You will love the Valley...

Old Dec 4th, 2000, 09:21 AM
james wyatt

Kay's expert advice is obviously from the horses mouth so to speak. I love Vintage Inn in Yountville over the others - massive rooms, with fireplaces, friendly staff, although the breakfast is so so - Jean Ty restaurant just up the road is my restaurant of the year. My last visit in April co-insided with non-stop rain for several days, but equally I've during March when the weather has been wonderful. Napa and Sonoma are just beautiful even on grotty days - and hey, the wine tastings great too!

Old Dec 4th, 2000, 03:06 PM
Michelle Ward

Thank you so much for your replies!
I am a little curious though - what do you mean by "motel-like"?
As far as the weather is concerned, is it jeans and sweatshirt weather?
My husband and I are novices when it comes to wine. We want to do Robert Mondavi as well as the little niche wineries. Any suggestions? We want a well rounded experience.
Thanks again!!!!!

Old Dec 4th, 2000, 03:37 PM
Sal

We stayed at the Vintage Inn recently and agree with the above. I think what was meant by "hotel-like" is the fact that it is a large property with multiple buildings and rooms; unlike the many b&bs in the area. However, it still manages to maintain its charm. The spa at Villagio, next door, is wonderful. To add to the list of restaurant suggestions is the Napa Grill (Yountville) and one across the street from the Vintage Inn that is owned by the people who own French Laundry--the name escapes me at the moment. Tra Vigne is St. Helena is very good. I don't know how busy it will be that time of year, but advise making all reservations ahead of time.

Old Dec 5th, 2000, 04:16 PM
Michelle

Where is the best spa? In Rutherford? Yountville? Calistoga? Glen Ellen?
We'd like to do at least a half a day together as a couple. It'd be even better if it was included in the B&B/Inn package.

Thanks Again!

Michelle