Reload this Page >

Williamsburg, Virginia vacation

Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 15th, 2002, 03:15 PM
lisa

Family of 6, traveling from Boston to Williamsburg, VA, would like tips/comments on a clean, decent, and reasonable hotel and best way to spend our 5 days there. I'm interested in the Williamsburg Hospitality House, any comments?

Old Apr 15th, 2002, 05:12 PM
topper

Topping for lisa.

Old Apr 15th, 2002, 05:17 PM
kelly

Try getting a Flex Package. Price includes accomodations and unlimited admission to Colonial Williamsburg, Jamestown and Yorktown, Busch Gardens and Water Country USA. For a brochure and more info go to history.org.

Don't know about the Hospitality House other than I've read that people enjoyed it. Another choice is the Williamsburg Woodlands located at the Visitors Center. Their suites can accomodate your family.

Old Apr 16th, 2002, 03:42 AM
Samantha

Lisa,

I live about an hour from Williamsburg, so I've never had the need to stay at any of the hotels, but I can offer some suggestions for fun things to do/see:

Busch Gardens, Water Country, Colonial Willamsburg, Jamestown, shopping at the outlets in Williamsburg, and shopping at the Pottery (a bit tacky, but great prices on linens, candles, etc).

If you're willing to drive a bit, there are museums in Newport News and Virginia Beach that are interesting, as well as shoppping and tourist sights in downtown Norfolk, and of course there's always the beach.

A few websites that might be of help are:

http://www.williamsburg.com
http://www.virginia.com
http://www.gohamptonroads.com

If you type in "Williamsburg" in the search box at this site, many posts will come up about the area. I know you'll get some opinions regarding lodging by doing that.

Good luck with your planning.

Old Apr 16th, 2002, 01:12 PM
Susan

The Hospitality House is a nice hotel across the street from the college. I don't know how appropriate it is for a family, however. If they have a pool it must be indoors. Every hotel chain is represented here. You may be more comfortable in one of the suites hotels. There are tons of things to do here. It would help to know the ages of the kids.

Old Apr 16th, 2002, 01:27 PM
r-travels

the Hospitality House looks like a nice place, not much of a walk to CW's Duke of Gloucester St. With 6 people, maybe you'd like multiple rooms at one of the hotels further out. Most of the places on Bypass Rd are decent (ex. Howard Johnson looks "shaky"). I've stayed at Best Inns - very nice, w/ enclosed pool and free buffet breakfast, and at Travelodge. Super8 at corner of Lafayette & Richmond Rd is older hotel but with good sized rooms. I'm sort of partial to old "motor courts" and often stay at the Governor Spottswood further west on Richmond Rd.

IMAX theater at Hampton's Air/Space Museum. I could spend most of my time at Colonial Wburg. Jamestown ok, but I thought Yorktown Battlefield boring (looks like any other field) but a stroll into Yorktown, and down along water was nice, went to the Watermen's Museum there. Of course, Busch Gardens and the water park. Endview Plantation and Lee Hall between WBurg & Newport News, plus Carter Plantation near Wburg. Lots to do, lots of places to stay.