Reload this Page >

Williamsburg to Baltimore

Search

Search this Thread

Old Oct 21st, 2002, 07:51 PM
willtobalt

Are there any interesting historical sites worth stopping at on a Sunday afternoon to break up the drive from Williamsburg to Baltimore (without getting caught in Washington DC traffic but maybe on the outskirts)? I believe the drive takes about 3 1/2 hours, so they would have to reasonably close to the main route.

Old Oct 21st, 2002, 07:57 PM
a

How are you travelling? Down 301 through Maryland or the I95 corridor?

Old Oct 21st, 2002, 08:00 PM
willtobalt

We are open to suggestions for the best route. Just need to be in Baltimore by say 7pm.

Old Oct 21st, 2002, 08:39 PM
A

willtobalt,

I 64 to I 95 is the most direct route to DC and then B'more. The Richmond and Fredricksburg environs have historical sites (battlefield, homes, small museums) to visit. I'd probably pick Fredricksburg because it's not as far off your main route and it's a bit easier to navigate about. Alternatively, you could take Route 5 (John Tyler Highway) out of Wmburg towards Richmond and there are the
James River Planatations to tour.

The sniper thing has made travel up the I95 corridor a bit dodgey. I do this trip pretty frequently and last week just didn't feel the need to make any unnecessary stops between Wmburg and downtown DC. Overreacting? Maybe.

In the best of circumstances (ie, no snipers) prepare for traffic delays. Your trip SHOULD take 3 1/2 hours but any number of choke points could add lots of time to your trip.

If you want a pretty, meandering drive through the countryside, take Rt 17 up to Tappahanock (sp?) and cross the river to Maryland and continue onto Baltimore via 301. The latter part of the drive will not be all that interesting but depending on your time of travel may save you some time.

Hope this helps.

Old Oct 24th, 2002, 06:52 AM
David Schwartz

Have you looked into Ellicott City? It is on the west side of Baltimore.

Old Oct 24th, 2002, 07:12 AM
r-travels

Here's a 2nd vote for Rt 17/301. Then I-97 up to BWI. Evening traffic around DC can be rough, but otherwise, a nice route.