Williamsburg evenings

Old Jun 13th, 2004, 03:15 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Williamsburg evenings

Hi - need some advice on Williamsburg evening programs for two adults and two older teens. We've heard that the ghost tour and the "cry witch" programs offered by Colonial Williamsburg are quite popular and are considering these. Also, there is a different ghost tour called the "original ghosts of Williamsburg tour" for which the tickets are purchased at Prime Outlets. This one is $9 pp, as compared to $12 pp for the programs sponsored by Williamsburg.

Is anyone familiar enough with these programs to recommend one? (We only want to do one evening program). Thanks!
Old Jun 13th, 2004, 07:59 PM

We were in Williamsburg 3 years ago. We did not take either tour you mentioned, but there were several homes open each evening. Storytellers told ghost stories in darkened, candle-lit rooms. Very spooky! If I remember correctly, this was included in the price of admission.
Old Jun 13th, 2004, 08:22 PM

The evening ghost walk sponsored by Colonial Williamsburg is really good. You move through Duke of Gloucester Street by lantern light and cover quite a bit of territory, including a building on the campus of W&M.

You cold also consider an evening pass into Bush Gardens, which is only 6 miles from Williamsburg.
Old Jun 14th, 2004, 04:08 AM

3 years ago they did have some excellent evening programs, as cited by "madcitysue", but things are always changing in CW (Colonial Williamsburg), and those are no longer offered.

I've not done the program offered via Prime Outlets, but have done the other one ... much fun and very interesting. The one offered by CW will probably include going inside some of the buildings, while the "Original" will not. It will only walk up and down the streets of CW, which are public streets. I am a supporter of CW, not only w/ tickets, but donations throughout the year ... so I am biased, but point out that while you might save $3 a person on the cheaper tour, you are doing NOTHING to help insure that there will be a CW open NEXT year or some other future date, when you pay to outsiders who only turn a profit for themselves and "run with the money". That extra $3 helps keep programs, loop buses, and everything else at CW going.
Old Jun 15th, 2004, 03:35 PM

Good Point, RB. We all need to keep that in mind.
Old Jul 20th, 2004, 05:14 PM

You didn't mention what time of year you would be in Williamsburg, but if it's during the fall or spring semester, it would be worth checking out activities at William and Mary. They may have athletic events or theater productions. There are also a lot of campus groups that perform evenings - pick up a copy of the Flat Hat (campus newspaper) or check the webpage (www.wm.edu).
Old Jul 20th, 2004, 06:08 PM

I went to both of these programs in March. The ghost tour (offered through CW) was fun, but I don't know if you would enjoy it as much without younger children. I took my 12-year-old son with me. It just depends on how much you like that sort of thing. The Cry Witch program was fabulous and I would definitely recommend this. I leaned over and whispered a question to my son during the trial to ask if he thought she really was a witch. He replied that he wasn't sure. The laws of the time and the prosecutor can be terribly convincing. This trial was one of my fondest memories of the trip. Have fun!
Old Aug 7th, 2004, 09:38 AM

Starting at 5pm in one of the colonial taverns (Chownings Tavern) they have "gambols," or games, all family friendly, along with balladeers. You can come and go as you please, order light refreshments, etc. Our children of various ages enjoyed it. Nice family fun in colonial tavern atmosphere.
Old Mar 20th, 2005, 09:41 AM

HI Joan

I was in CW in October last year, we really enjoyed the evening performances. It's worth paying the little extra for the admission to get them included in the price.

My favourite one was the dancing evening with all the ladies in their formal dresses, there's a lot of participation that makes it fun too. We also really enjoyed the Music recital at the Govenors Palace but that only happens once a month. I wasnt that impressed by the witch trial, but we had done a lot that day. We really enjoyed the Ghost Tour, it ties in with what MadcitySue said she'd seen with the stories by candlelight. There was a boy on our tour who was about 8 and he did get a little scared at one of the stories, just so that you are aware.

I loved CW, and am planning another trip in July. I think the kids will have a fantastic time. This time I am going with my host family who had twin 10 yr olds.

Hope this helps