williamsburg condo rentals

Search

Search this Thread

Old Dec 6th, 2004, 05:08 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I've spent some time reading the posts on CWB, and have copied out A LOT of information. I know someone will help with my questions.

We are planning a trip to CWB in mid-March; spring break for my kids, 9 & 11. I've had good luck renting condos for our trips, from various online searches.

I've turned up only a few for this area. One is Powhatan Plantation Resort. Thoughts, please?

The other is a house in Surry County: yes I know it is over water and requires a ferry. Posted rate is less than $1,000 for the week.

Any of you have experience with either of these locations?

Is spring break a terrible time to visit due to crowds?

We will have a car.

THanks.
Nancy

Old Dec 6th, 2004, 06:27 PM

As I live here I don't know much about rentals, but I have heard good things about Powhatan Plantation. The drive in from surry is not worth it IMO. The big thing here are the kingsmill/fords colony suites. 2 bedrooms, a kitchen and living area with lots of ammenities. I know people have gotten these for around $200 a night or less depending, check the other williamsburg threads for more detail on those.

Since spring break is different around the country no one week is totally out of control. Easter weekend/the weekend after easter is a BAD weekend usually, but the weekdays are fine.

This weekend was grand illumination, and playoff football game so I resorted to biking the crowds were so bad, but that's a unique case.
Old Dec 6th, 2004, 06:50 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Williamsburg will be busy but not overrun during spring break. This is a popular place but nothing like a Disney destination. Temperatures are moderate (with the occasional chill) and spring gardens are blooming.

The Surry option sounds appealing to me but in case you're not familiar with the area you should know it's a very sleepy little town with a couple of restaurants, gas stations and shops. Might be ideal if you and the kids are looking for quiet and isolation after a day in the 'Burg and environs.

I love the ferry ride over the James River between Surry and Wmburg. It runs every half hour and takes about 20 minutes. An afternoon chill out at the condo might be an effort if you stay in Surry.

Powhatan Platation is in a great location, away from the more touristy fray but still close to CW. Grocery store and shops (Starbucks, video store, others) nearby. I live here so I don't have experience staying at PP. I"ve heard that some of the units need updating. Wish I could give you more info.

Which other condo destinations have you looked at?
Close to PP is Greensprings Resort and Ford's Colony (a Marriott property) to name a couple and they are both new properties. There are a others too which I can't think of at the moment. On the other side of town closer to Busch Gardens (but still within 10 min of CW) is Kingsmill.

Busch Gardens is normally open weekends and at least one week during March spring break. WIll you be heading there as well?
Old Dec 7th, 2004, 04:38 AM
Original Poster

We visited Busch Gardens in Tampa, so it isn't a priority for this trip. It will be close to the bottom of our list.

I'll check into the other places you have mentioned. Thank you for your time. The house in Surry sound very interesting to me, but I'll run it past the clan. We like our quiet at the end of the day, and if I have a kitchen I'd just as soon throw a meal together than eat at a bad expensive restaurant!

Nancy
Old Dec 7th, 2004, 10:08 AM

beenthere, If you stay in Surry, make sure you buy your groceries on the Wmbg side of the river. Report back and let us know which place you chose.
Old Dec 7th, 2004, 10:22 AM

You could also check out Kings Creek Plantation kingscreekplantation.com/

I stayed there a couple of years ago and it has very spacious units with lots of amenities and I think is cheaper than both Powhatan and Kings Mill. It is convenient to the Colonial Parkway so you can easily get to CW, Yorktown and Jamestown.

Old Dec 7th, 2004, 01:03 PM

Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts
I would be very careful about renting a condo in Surry. It is an agricultural town. You don't know what you would get stuck with. Powhatan is in a great location. Near our local park with baseball fields, basketball hoops, etc.
Old Dec 7th, 2004, 03:48 PM
Original Poster

Thank you all for your insight. While I don't want to be on an anthill, out in the middle of a tobacco field is a bit much. I'll check into Powhatan and Kind's Creek.
Old Dec 8th, 2004, 05:46 AM
Original Poster

After doing some research on tripadvisor (can I mention them, here? Will I get booted?), Powhaton Plantation is at the bottom of my list. Kings Creek and Greensprings come in first and second. Fairfield Wmsbg is also mentioned favorably.

Any of you have experience with these places for condo rentals? I've given up on the Surry County house.

Thanks for your help.
Old Dec 8th, 2004, 05:43 PM
Original Poster

ttt
Old Dec 8th, 2004, 06:03 PM

Kings Creek is on the side of town that is closer to Busch Gardens and Water Country USA. That's not a bad thing at all but it is a bit farther away from the heart of Wmburg. Janis recommends it and she seems to be a very discriminating traveller so I'd take her recommendation.

We have friends who own a timeshare at Fairfield.
The unit I saw when visiting them was very nice. It's in the heart of the tourist area so it's very close to lots of other hotels, chain restaurants and a Kmart shopping center.

I haven't seen any of the units at Greensprings but I like the location the best of the three you mentioned. Wmbg (the restored area) and Jamestown are each about a 10 minute drive. The location is quieter than the Fairfield. Nearby but not in your face are a good grocery, coffee shop, wine store, Target and a few restaurants.

I reference tripadvisor here all the time. Seems like a good resource for hotels.
Old Dec 9th, 2004, 04:47 AM
Original Poster

Thanks OBX girl.
Nancy
Old Dec 17th, 2004, 06:16 PM

We've stayed at Powhattan Plantation twice and enjoyed it both times. We stayed there on RCI bonus weeks so we got a very good deal.

The units are nice and they are in the process of refurbishing them. The pool facilities and grounds are also very nice. It's also very convenient to all things in Williamsburg and surrounding areas.

Old Dec 17th, 2004, 09:17 PM

We stayed at Powhatan Plantation three times (a friend has a time share there). We thought the condos were furnished very nicely and would go back again.

Old Dec 24th, 2004, 02:02 AM

We stayed at Greensprings in April '03 and were very pleased with the condo (very large two bedroom) and the amenities (indoor pool, mini golf). We got a great deal using one of the travel search engines. Would definitely go back. Out of the way but quite convenient to everything.