Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page >

Will Memphis be crowded Memorial Day weekend?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 4th, 2002, 07:04 AM
Catherine

We are tentatively planning to visit Memphis with friends over Memorial Day (to avoid using a vacation day for a long weekend). I have learned that the Great Southern Food Festival (part of Memphis is May) is also going on that weekend. We are primarily interested in visiting the rock-and-roll meccas--the tackier, the better, so Graceland is on the list!. (We considered going for the Beale Street Music Festival, but only a few of the performers seem to be worth seeing.) But, to get to my question, will the holiday weekend and the festival mean that Memphis will be unpleasantly crowded for tourists? Would we be better off going the weekend before or after and avoiding the holiday-weekend room rates?

Old Apr 4th, 2002, 09:59 AM
MD4

If you are trying to stay downtown, I would not recommend going the weekend before due to the Memphis in May BBQ, all hotels downtown sell out or have outrageous rates (which I will be paying). I would also stay away from June 8 weekend due to the Tyson fight.

On Memorial Day Weekend, downtown might be more crowded than normal due to the festival, but the festival is generally pretty fun with lots of music. See www.memphisinmay.org for all the events and more info. I agree, the Beale Street Music Fest is not nearly as good as previous years.
Enjoy your trip! Memphis is beautiful that time of year.

Old Apr 4th, 2002, 10:16 AM
Frank

We didn't find Memphis overly crowded over the Memorial Day weekend, although it can get hot. Sometime over the weekend there was a big fireworks display over the river, that we had a great view of from the roof of the Peabody Hotel.

Old Apr 4th, 2002, 01:18 PM
Catherine

Thanks for the helpful input!

Old May 8th, 2002, 08:12 AM
t

ttt

Old May 10th, 2002, 02:40 PM
summer

I am almost sure that it will be crowded in Memphis on Memorial day. But u will have a ball there.

Old May 10th, 2002, 02:42 PM
summer

HAVE LOTS OF FUNNNNNNN..... for me . I love Memphis any time.