Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page >

Will airfares and hotel rates come down?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 21st, 2003, 01:58 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I expected rates to drop as soon as war was declared. So far, I haven't seen any drastic price reductions. I wonder if airlines and hotels are countering the reduction in travel by keeping fares the same (or raising them) -- will all of the "fearless" travelers have to spend more $$$ to make up for those who are staying put?

I'm sure some of y'all will blast me for focusing on low rates while our troops are fighting. But in case you haven't noticed, most major airlines are going belly up. I'm willing to travel, spend $$$, and keep the economy from sinking . . . but I'm no millionaire. I'm looking for deals, just like most travelers on this board.

Old Mar 21st, 2003, 02:31 PM
GoTravel

Just a guess, but I would say you will see the best bargains on cruises, Orlando, and large cities.

Old Mar 21st, 2003, 03:05 PM
OliveOyl

Thus far we've lost only one group--250 room nights, and they plan to reschedule. We are full currently with 1st round NCAA in town. From the looks of both pools and the health club, there is no war going on. People are enjoying themselves, lounge chairs are full of people working on their tans. For one month we have a very lenient cancellation policy, but thank the powers that be, it is NOT happening!

We've borne more than our share of the souring economy for the past 3 years, even pre 9-11 and I'm hoping your wishes don't come true, Tansy! And think about it--if those airlines go belly up, you know who will pay the piper to the ones left standing! I was just after airfare to England--$800. Obviously rates aren't down overseas either!

Old Mar 21st, 2003, 03:59 PM

Many airfares have been on sale, but carriers are also in the process of cutting back schedules to bring the supply of seats more in line with demand. Cruises have suffered from a combination of overcapacity, a softer market in leisure travel, general jitters and some well-publicized incidents of passengers contracting illnesses on board vessels.

Keep in mind, too, that some travelers who might otherwise have looked at overseas destinations may simply be shifting their plans to domestic destinations. Hot Spring Break destinations are still going to be getting top dollar in many locations since many of those rooms have been booked for months. As GoTravel offered, there may often be bargains in big cities where business travel has fallen off.

I guess from what I've been seeing, there have been plenty of deals to be had; just not necessarily at the specific place and time that you have in mind if your parameters are rigid. There is no substitute for planning ahead, monitoring constantly and knowing when to book a deal. When it comes to deals, flexibility is your best friend.
Old Mar 21st, 2003, 04:02 PM

I can't conceive of rates getting cheaper than we've seen in the last couple of years.

At the end of January, we flew from Harrisburg PA (not a particularly cheap airport) RT to MIA for under $200 each. And Mar 1, my wife flew RT from Dulles to Heathrow for a little over $200 plus taxes. Indeed, that was booked less than 30 days before departure. When she arrived there, late on a Sat. night, she stayed at the Sheraton Skyline (4*) for $55. I got that off Priceline.

I love the prices. But I do hate what it's doing to the airlines. If they do start going out of business--not just bankrupt--we'll pay dearly down the road.
Old Mar 21st, 2003, 06:39 PM

The airfare from San Diego to Cincinnati on Delta, nonstop, is at a 5yr high, $512! I'm hoping it goes down soon!
Old Mar 21st, 2003, 07:02 PM
OliveOyl

Another angle, Tansy....after this week's market, might we be feeling a bit of *relative* wealth effect?? gt; The war arrives ending uncertainty and the market leaps for the first time in how long...my gawd we're maybe looking at 9,000 again! Of course you've got to ignore everything lost over the past 3 years but we are so inured to the loss now that it no longer seems like a paper loss, but a realized loss, thus the rise in the Dow now seems like a genuine gain, not just a recoup of a position. This week has been almost like the good old days! Onward and upward. Heck...book that European vacation. Life is good.

Old Mar 24th, 2003, 11:59 AM

My husband and I just got a great deal: we're flying from Vancouver to Miami for only $188.

Go dubya!

Old Mar 24th, 2003, 12:12 PM

I haven't seen any great deals popping up this week, but then again, I really don't think as many people are cancelling or postponing as some would think.

I was at a dinner party Saturday night and half the people there were flying this week, my husband and another on business, 1 to a medical convention in Las Vegas, my neighbor to Sweden for a hockey tournament his son was playing in (now I know why they call it a "travel" team!), and my other neighbor is going for a girls weekend to take surfing lessons in LaJolla.

That's out of a group of 10 people and that's just this week, more travel to come in upcoming weeks.

I actually paid less for flights pre 9/11 than I have since. The fact that there are fewer flights might have something to do with it. I just got a schedule change from AA on our flights from NY to Phoenix. They cut out some flights so they had to reschedule us.
Old Mar 24th, 2003, 01:52 PM

Look for some bigger bargains on hotels, but with rare exceptions, I think you will be seeing air fares creeping up. The airline costs are still getting higher and if they can’t fill them, they will continue to reduce the number of seats rather than take bigger losses.

But airfares will still be a bargain compared to 15 years ago.

Keith