Reload this Page >

Wife Planning Wedding, i'm in chage of HONEYMOON

Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 22nd, 2001, 10:38 AM
thereuare

My fiancee is "in charge" of planning the wedding, while i'm in charge of the Honeymoon (both of us will "clear" things with the other before committing to anything, so NO FLAMES about how a marriage is a partnership).

We are thinking about taking 2 weeks, and are willing to split it up into 2 different trips/locations. Our pleasures include relaxing and good (not necessarily fancy/fine) dining. We like to explore areas we visit on our own, but don't necessarily like "group tours."

We are considering an exotic location that we are not likely to have a chance to go back to, OR going on a cruise for 1 week and land for 1 week (the land portion can/cannot be at the cruise ship's port location). It's been awhile since i've planned a full vacation so i don't know too much about cost, but i'm assuming (hoping) to keep it ~$5000.

Any suggestions are welcome. The wedding will be in Sept. 2002.

Old Aug 22nd, 2001, 10:50 AM
Emmy

Congratulations on the upcoming wedding.

September is the peak of hurricane season so I would elimate a Caribbean cruise from the options.

I recommend the national parks of Utah and Arizona, Napa Valley, or visiting quaint towns in New England for USA destinations. Outside the USA, how about Paris, Bali, New Zealand, an African safari, or a trip on the Orient Express.

Old Aug 22nd, 2001, 10:52 AM
Peg

I recommend taking your honeymoon six months or a year after the wedding.

Old Aug 22nd, 2001, 10:52 AM
Christie

Well, since September is prime hurricane season in the Caribbean, I would rule out any destination there except the ABC (Aruba, Bonaire, Curacao) islands. You don't want your honeymoon ruined by a hurricane!

Honestly, wherever you go, get the best hotel room you can afford since you will likely be spending a lot of time there.

What city will you be coming from? That will give us a starting point to find good places for the two of you to go.

Old Aug 22nd, 2001, 10:53 AM
herself

You may not think so now but you will need/want to rest and relax after your wedding. It's a time to veg out.
You could.....fly into Vegas, rent the best room for two nights, drive out to Zion for 3 night, then to Bryce for another 3night and the North Rim of the Grand Canyon for the remainding time. Not much of a place for fine dinning, but watching the sun set from the rocking chairs, from the North Rim Lodge is a favorite of mine.
Or just fly down to St. Lucia and relax. Congratulations and the best to both.

Old Aug 22nd, 2001, 11:30 AM
Linda

Have you thought of Europe? Personally, I don't think there are 2 more romantic places in the world than Paris and the Amalfi coast, or AC and Venice. Totally different atmospheres, but, oh so wonderful. I think you can easily do it on $5,000. Go to the Europe forum for help if you need it. You won't have the poshest rooms available, but the atmosphere and experiences will more than make up for it.

Old Aug 22nd, 2001, 11:49 AM
Godbless

Where are you starting from (which coast)?

What about Tahiti? You could do both, probably wouldn't go back.

Old Aug 22nd, 2001, 12:14 PM
Judi

Exotic? Spent our honeymoon on an African safari (Kenya mostly) and a week at the Club Med Agadir in Morocco. We were advised that the Club is basically French tourists who wouldn't speak English, and we said
"Who cares? We're on our honeymoon!" We were pleasantly surprised that the French guests were happy to practice their English in the dining room.I think the other posters are giving you good advice about postponing the honeymoon a little bit. We did a weekend in Big Sur right after the wedding and then the big trip about a month later.

Old Aug 22nd, 2001, 12:17 PM
thereuare

Forgot to mention, we're from, and starting from, NYC. We've already been to London together, and would probably like to eliminate high touring places, since we don't wish to do much sight seeing (but wouldn't mind doing 1 day of it, if there's a "must see" in the area that we're in)

Old Aug 22nd, 2001, 01:12 PM
sktravler

How about the Hawiian Islands? You could stay for a week on Maui, a few days on Kauai, and a few days on Oahu. You'd get some variety and not have to spend too much time traveling from place to place. I went to Maui on my honeymoon last September and LOVED it. Perfect place for relaxation and good food. I've heard that Kauai is even less "touristy." If Hawaii is too boring for you, I'd try Tahiti or Bali--our dream locations that will have to wait a few years!

Old Aug 22nd, 2001, 01:23 PM
Ann

I most definitely would NOT wait 6 months to take your honeymoon. You'll never have that "just married" feeling again.

Two suggestions: Tahiti or New Zealand. Haven't been to either, but my brother went to Tahiti for his honeymoon and just raved about it, and my friends just got back from New Zealand and loved it. I get the impression that Tahiti would be better if you just want to lie by the beach and watch the waves, while New Zealand would be a better option if you want to be a bit more active.

Congrats, and enjoy the honeymoon! We didn't get to take one (absolutely no money left). We did take a trip to Ireland about 7 months later, but it just wasn't the same.

Old Aug 22nd, 2001, 01:28 PM
Christie

Since you'll be coming from the East Coast, Hawaii would be a LONG flight! Personally, I'd not want to be spedning such a long time on a plane right after a wedding!

How about someplace on the East Coast? Maybe Hilton Head Island? There are tons of gorgeous hotels/resorts there, and it is usually out of range of hurricanes. HHI would be a great place to spend some quiet time together after a stressful wedding.

Another thought is Memphis, Tennessee. You could stay at the Peabody (and see the ducks!) and enjoy some great BBQ and live Jazz music. I know hubby and I enjoy doing this sort of weekend getaway very much!

Regardless of where you go, have a great trip and congratulations on the wedding!

Old Aug 22nd, 2001, 02:18 PM
Lindsey

Thi first suggestion may sound Goofy, but go to Disneyland. My wife and I went there for our honeymoon and had a great time. We were both in our 30s at the time and are professionals (a lawyer and an investment banker). I'd heartily recommend it.

Also, I second the suggestion of going to Europe. You like to relax, explore and eat well. Plenty of wonderful little restaurants whereever you go. I suggest renting a car and driving from village to village for two weeks. We have done this in France, Spain and Portugal and Italy. A great time. Roam around, do some exploring, eat at great restaurants, see local culture.

Anyway, best wishes. (A friend of mune said it is not polite to say congratulations because that implies you are receiving property). I know that you will enjoy whatever you decide to do.

Old Aug 22nd, 2001, 03:01 PM
lisa

If I had $5K and two weeks...Sigh.

Here's my list:
Galapagos Islands
Ireland
Norway
Tahiti
Pacific Northwest
Renting a cabin in the mountains, maybe North Carolina, with a fishing lake (and a boat) nearby. Stock up on wine and cheese.

I'm with the others - delay your honeymoon by at least a day. You need time to recover from the reception and get your stuff together. BUt I'd do it within 48 hours, max.

Old Aug 22nd, 2001, 03:14 PM
jhm

Congratulations! I'm happy for both of you.

Is your wedding an afternoon or an evening wedding? In either case, I think that leaving the next afternoon or evening is fine (try to avoid the morning flights!).

You don't want too much sightseeing, you said -- maybe a day or two. It sounds like relaxing and unwinding is your top priority. I think you might like Thailand -- go to Bangkok for a few days, but spend the majority of the time at a swanky resort on Ko Samui or on Phuket. It's a great time of year to be there, as well. Bali is also phenomenal. In both places (particularly, in my opinion, Thailand), the food is phenomenal.

Old Aug 22nd, 2001, 03:22 PM
geth

Ann,

I sooo agree with you on the "just married" feeling. Those are my exact words when i talk to other people about this subject. Sure, delay the honeymoon for a day, but not much longer. The first time I got married we waited two days and it was kind of a bummer. The wedding was over, the honeymoon hadn't started, we just sat around in our apartment that was destoyed with giftwrap and boxes.

This time (yes, a second marriage, although the honeymoon in no way caused the decline of my first marriage <grin>) we are leaving right from the wedding for a town about 45 minutes away, staying the night there, and flying out the very next morning for Boston, and staying an entire week (as opposed to my first honeymoon of 3 days).

Unfortunately, I am a travel newbie, so have to real idea where to go for 5k, but i did want to chime in on the timing issue. you really will only feel that "just married" feeling for a short time .

Old Aug 22nd, 2001, 07:39 PM
GOL

Hey there, make the planning a great time too. The places you don't go will always be 'researched' for many future year's trips.

This may sound dumb, but I'd really, really take some time figuring out what both of you want and need. This may be the best 'vacation' you will have BK (before kids) and one of the more expensive ones.

What vacation have you both LOVED. HATED. Do you like sun? the beach? being spoiled with 1st class service? crowds? long plane flights a problem? sightseeing? full agenda days or no agenda days? If each of you have 10 hours with nothing planned, do you go towards the same thing? Do you enjoy travelling in a car for many hours? Outdoor activities? Do you enjoy sharing exotic trips with others (and some bragging)? Do you enjoy 'groups' better than being alone? Do you enjoy your family (ies) around each other? Are there any specific places you really want to visit, and this is the excuse?

$5k should afford you a mid to high-level 2 week honeymoon.

I've heard many honeymoon reports from friends, and there is no consistant best one. Some like cruises; others got bored after a few days; Some like pampering, others feel uncomfortable; Some went to Greece, others did Disney. One "kept" their family for the first week (the wedding turned out to be a family reunion), and then took their "own" trip the second week. One took a trip to Campbell to see polar bears. Another rented a car and drove around Wyoming and Montana.

Personally, I planned our honeymoon; All I wanted to do was be in a warm climate beach and stare into the eyes of my spouse. No other requirements. Well, except rum drinks. The Carribean was our choice (Sept also) with no problems with weather. In fact, the rates were especially good.

Old Aug 23rd, 2001, 03:38 AM
Sharon

How about the Central coast of California? Monterey area is gorgeous, not real touristy. The nearby Carmel valley has wonderful wineries and restaurants are the best anywhere. You can find great romantic inns for reasonable prices; Monterey Bay aquarium is amazing. Kayaking in the Elkhorn Slough among the seals is a great experience. Driving south to Big Sur. Etc, Etc. We stayed at the Inn at Depot Hill in Capitola-By-The-Sea and it was an experience in itself. The most romantic beautiful place to stay. Reasonably priced considering. Point Lobos State Park is gorgeous. Just love this area so much. Lots to see and do.

Old Aug 23rd, 2001, 04:01 AM
Liam

How about somewhere in the Mediterranean? I would recommend:

1. Sicily
2. Greece (spend a few days in Athens, then head to Santorini - stay near the caldera)
3. Southern France (one week in Provence, then a week around Cap d'Antibbes would be my dream honeymoon).

All 3 would allow for sightseeing (I know, not a priority for you - but its there if you want it), but more importantly, each provides a relaxing and romantic place to so nothing more than sit on a beach, if that's what you want.

Old Aug 23rd, 2001, 04:08 AM
Beth

Take the full two weeks now - You may never have the opportunity to do so again once "life" kicks in gear! Hawaii would be my top US choice.
But the Alpine regions of Europe are just glorious in September. However, the stress of a language barrier, if travelling independently, could detract from the experience. Do either of you speak any German or French?
My third suggestion is a Mediterranean Cruise followed by a week in Provence.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -