Search

Why Key West?

Search this Thread

Old Nov 2nd, 2003, 08:54 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Why Key West?

I'm having a little trouble convincing my spouse about a visit to KW - someplace I've always wanted to explore. (We're both a fair bit past 50.) Frankly, though I want to see it, I probably don't know all that much about it - I mean, right - sunsets, Hemingway, Old Town - but what else? What's the attraction? Help me out with some selling points, please?
Old Nov 2nd, 2003, 09:01 AM
GoTravel

The dining, the shopping, attractions (Mel Fishers, Maratime Museum, cemetary, Truman's White House, Hemingway House, etc), the people, the blue water, a day trip to the Dry Tortugas.

It's like being in the islands but you are still in the US.

Old Nov 2nd, 2003, 10:53 AM

My husband and I are 60 and we "discovered" Key West several years ago. Until then, New Orleans had always been our favorite travel destination and we love Key West for many of the same reasons. It has wonderful restaurants, is very laid-back, is filled with quirky people and has a lot of things to do packed into a very small area.

In addition to having great - and varied - tourist activities, it's also a wonderful place to do absolutely nothing. You can party like crazy or sleep all day; there's simply no right or wrong way to experience Key West.

Our first trip was for a long weekend, and we spend about a month each year there now. We're hooked!
Old Nov 2nd, 2003, 01:10 PM

Key West has a feel to it that's hard to describe. Very laid back. Great people watching. Very tropical. I agree with the poster who also enjoys New Orleans, we try to visit each place for a few days each year. Jean
Old Nov 2nd, 2003, 04:17 PM
Original Poster

I guess that's what I'd sort of 'intuited' about KW - since 'what to do' doesn't really take precedence in the previous responses, but more a "place to enjoy and do not a lot in.." comes through.

Unfortunately, the Elderhostel I thought we were considering...is priced at over $1,000 per person (for March-April) - versus the $700-something that I first looked at (for a November booking). Looks like KW might get notched down on our 'priority' list once again...But great to read the reviews of aficiandos!
Old Nov 2nd, 2003, 06:43 PM

Aside from the specific attractions of KW, such as those that you listed, there's the fact that it's retained much of its sense of place. So much of the country is homogeneous: Burger King, Staples, Gap, office parks, limited-access highways, and so on. Most of the places we live and vacation now are more similar than different.

KW has a lot of unique aspects. It's not so much the geography (though I guess that helps keep it unique) or the architecture or the cultural mix (those are both charming). It's the people. Conchs are as eccentric a bunch as you'll find anywhere, and I mean that in a nice way. Down at the bird rescue place we chatted with a guy who mentioned that he'd been in jail with the son of the former mayor -- this being the mayor who water-skiied to Cuba to protest the Navy's planned cutbacks in KW. He also told us about the chicken summit (which does not refer to a barbeque event). KW is the only urban setting in which I've seen a chicken cross the road. (No, I don't really know why.)

Pick up a copy of "The Florida Keys" by Joy Williams, and you'll see what I mean. Everybody should visit once. Stay in an Old Town B&B. Stroll up to Mallory Square but don't spend too much time up in the most touristy part of town. (There's a Hard Rock Cafe now; homogenization!) It only takes a couple of days there to feel that you've had a memorable experience in a special place.
Old Nov 11th, 2003, 02:23 PM
mud

We made our 2nd trip to key west last month. I had a list of 12 things I wanted to see and/or do in the four days we were staying. We got around to two of them. For me, key west is a place you can go and have a great time doing nothing! However we did fall into a rut, a late breakfast at Peppe's, some sight seeing, Margaritas at 2:00pm, followed by a dip in the Marquessa pool, a short nap then off to eat dinner. What a grind !!! Seriously, we had such a great time on our first trip that I was concerned that we might we somewhat disappointed with trip #2, but that was not the case. There are many great posts here with good advise and tips. Give Key West a try, I think you will enjoy yourself.
Old Nov 15th, 2003, 02:04 PM

We are young 40 year olds and are hooked on Key West. We are returning in May. We have traveled throughout the carribean and Key West just keeps calling us back. I have never been so relaxed and happy. We never even made it to Hemingway House. The variety of restaurants, art galleries...so much to take in. Mallory square for the magnificent sunsets, a special treat for dinner at Sunset Key - dinner on the beach. Stop me now, I can go on and on. Go, you will be glad you did.
Old Nov 15th, 2003, 03:56 PM

Dsr I feel the same way as you do about Key West. I really enjoyed just popping in for Key Lime Pie or having lunch and a Margarita and laughing while at an outdoor bar. I just really loved the atmosphere. I personally also loved all the cats trotting around I really wanted to bring this adorable black and white cat home that hung around our hotel that I nicknamed Balsamic.