Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page >

Why is the airfare for VT/MA so much in August?

Search

Search this Thread

Old May 3rd, 2000, 11:32 AM
Craig

I've been looking to get an airfare between Ft. Myers, Florida and either Burlington VT and/or Boston MA the second week of August (8-15). When I go to expedia.com the price for a single ticket is more than $1000. Anyone have any idea why so much? I can go to San Francisco for $385/round trip.

Old May 3rd, 2000, 12:26 PM
cmcdaniel

Craig..I just checked Travelocity, which I use. Ft. Myers/Burlington came up with fares that ran from $231-330 rt.

Old May 3rd, 2000, 01:26 PM
Betsy

Look into flying into either Manchester, NH or Providence, RI. They're trying to compete with Logan, so a lot of times they have lower prices. Burlington, VT is an all around expensive airport to fly in and out of. I know people who drive from Burlington to either Montreal or Manchester because of lower ticket prices. Good luck!

Old May 3rd, 2000, 05:06 PM
Erich Ristau

hi, Craig

Burlington airport is very expensive,
but a $1000!! keep looking I have never paid more than $300 rt. to south Fla.
even during peak season. Try Manchester NH also. It is closer than Boston.

Good Luck,
Erich

Old May 3rd, 2000, 05:51 PM
Charles

The reason the flights are expensive is that it is peak tourist season in Boston. The advice to try manchester or Providence is very good - southwest flies cheaply into providence.

Old May 4th, 2000, 02:16 AM
Tina

Craig: There are many airports between Boston and Burlington, VT. Where are you going? If you let us know we may have some useful suggestions as we use the airports in this are often. We use Albany, NY, Montreal, CA, Hartford, CT, Manchester, NH. Most of the time we use Preview Travel to get the best price but many times calling airlines directly gives us even better or at least the same price. It takes time to find the best possible offer. In August we are flying from Albany, NY to Kalispell, MT for $206.00 round trip. We bought our tickets directly from Continental.

Old May 4th, 2000, 04:34 AM
Donna

Yes, check out the fares to Manchester, NH. My boss has a home in Ft. Myers and makes the trip 6-8 times a year and finds terrific fares. You just have to shop.

Old May 4th, 2000, 04:45 PM
Sheryl

Charles, early August is definitely not peak tourist season in Boston. Late September until mid-October, during fall foliage, is peak tourist season.

Old May 4th, 2000, 07:20 PM
traveler

Hi Craig

Check out www.itasoftware.com for the least expensive flight. It is a data base only--you cannot book through this site, but it will display all the available flights and their prices.

I am NOT a travel agent and have nothing to do with this site.

Old May 5th, 2000, 11:11 AM
Charles

Sheryl,

As a long time and current resident of Boston, I have a fairly good idea of the various tourist seasons. The summer is Boston's peak tourist season (including August). Leaf season is not peak tourist season in Boston for the very good reason that IT DOES NOT TAKE PLACE IN BOSTON! Its in Vermont, New Hampshire, Maine, and (to a significantly lesser extent) the Berkshires. I don't mind corrections - I learn from them - but perhaps they could be more useful?

Old May 5th, 2000, 12:07 PM
cmcdaniel

Charles...Not to gang up, but as someone who spent the first 21 years of her life in the Berkshires, I have to take exception to your characterization of its leaf season!!

We now live in FL but go back to New England each fall. Have done Vt from stem to stern and the Kancamagus Hwy loop through the White Mountains quite a few times. There is no significant difference in the coloration, only in elevation changes and of course when VT etc is at peak, the Berkshires are just reaching theirs. There is however, a difference in color once you've gone further east than the Berkshires, to the CT River Valley area. Have you driven Rt 7 between Pittsfield and Pownal or strolled through Stockbridge at peak and compared it with say Middlebury or the like?

Sorry...we are straying far from the original post, but them thar were fightn' words!

Old May 5th, 2000, 06:18 PM
Sheryl

Charles, have you priced lodging in Boston during August, late September and early October? I have. Many times. Rates are at their peak late September-mid October.

Old May 6th, 2000, 02:03 AM
Donna

Agree with Sheryl - I've found that rates are their highest in Boston September and October. The rates at the end of October, when all the leaves have dropped, are outrageous.

Old May 8th, 2000, 06:04 PM
Charles

Cmcdaniel - I take your word on it - though I've driven through the Berkshires during leaf season, I haven't done so specifically to watch the leaves. I think I still would probably have a preference for the other states as I like mountains. That said, the Berkshire are beautiful.

Sheryl - I just did some research by calling the Sheraton Copley (heart of back bay, for those who don't know). They say their busiest time is the summer, with the first couple of weeks of july being the absolute busiest. That said, the only time Boston hotels are any less than extremely busy is in January - that's why prices are so expensive.

I think I'll take their statement and my own experience as a local who lives in the heart of the tourist area over yours, with all due respect.

Old May 8th, 2000, 09:00 PM
Sheryl

Well I'll be. Sounds like that person doesn't know what he/she's talking about. Funny thing is that property's rates are significantly higher if you check individually by date the first two weeks in October vs. the first two weeks in July (not saying July is a bargain, because it isn't). Charles, I stand by my comments and you can stand by yours. Good thing you don't have to pay that $399 rate they are charging in early October because you live there!!

Old May 9th, 2000, 09:44 AM
joy

Charles,
You are 100% correct; peak tourist season is during the summer months of July and August. Sheryl, the reason Sept./Oct. rates are high has more to do with the high number of colleges and universities in town that have homecoming and/or parents weekend during these months.

Old May 9th, 2000, 05:32 PM
enoughalready

OK. Boston has two peak seasons. Whatever.