Reload this Page >

Why Is Chicago Called 'The Windy City'

Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 6th, 2001, 11:24 AM
Gaseous Clay

I have heard 2 different reasons why Chicago is called The Windy City.

Reason 1: It's windy.
Reason 2: Something to do with the old time politicians and city bosses talking excessively, or being "windy".

Are either one of these correct?

Old Aug 6th, 2001, 11:30 AM
jane

Both reasons. Sort of a play on words, as I understand it.

Old Aug 6th, 2001, 11:32 AM
Mrs. O'L.

Both are right, and both are just legends.

Chicago is windy, and the stories of people needing ropes attached to the tall buildings to help them navigate are true, but sometimes it's as much because of slippery streets as the wind. In fact, statistically/metereorologically speaking, Boston is windier.

Chicago also has been perversely proud of its long-winded politicians, esp. in "Aldermanic" debates (and that is the proper AND appropriate term for it).

Chicagoans particularly like to indulge in "windiness" arguing about this very point. Many historians concede that it's impossible to nail down which use of the term came first, but you can go back well into the 19th c. and find political cartoons that refer to the "windy" politicians.

Old Aug 6th, 2001, 11:43 AM
Al Godon

Those man-made canyons in the downtown area funnel and compress the air so that it really whistles at times.
I opened my mouth once to ask directions,and the wind was so strong that it blew the fillings out of my front teeth.
Now that's WINDY.

Old Aug 6th, 2001, 11:45 AM
holly

the name stems from reason #2
the weather is purely coincidental

Old Aug 6th, 2001, 01:24 PM
Chicagoan

ACTUALLY, waaayy back in the 1800's we were bidding against New York for the Columbian Exposition. In their zeal to get this plum, our politicians outdid themselves in flowery orations about Chicago; so much so that a NY columnist, dubbed us, the "Windy City".

Old Aug 6th, 2001, 01:42 PM
Jill

After living in the Windy City for a few years, I can tell you it lives up to its name! It's especially less than pleasant around January - February. Give me the balmy breezes of the Caribbean, please!