Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page >

Why don't we all post some trip reports?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 29th, 2002, 10:10 PM
rrr

We have all learned a lot on this site and have taken great trips around the country. It would be great to read about some of these trips - so often we only read about planning stages. I'm guilty of not posting post-trip too. I'll start on a separate message.

Old Jan 30th, 2002, 03:45 AM
Jim Rosenberg

Probably many Fodorites have already seen the site or even been contacted, but it provides a great, systematic way to do trip reports and it's kind of fun. Here's a sample trip report from Paris from those I've left there:

http://www.igougo.com/planning/journal.asp?JournalID=3126

You can go back to the home page to get a look at how the site works. I've been posting things off and on for about a year and half and it is made to order for people who want to read and write trip reports. (www.igougo.com). Happy Contrails!

Old Jan 30th, 2002, 04:46 AM
Susan

I've posted trip reports on the Canada site and have had them later deleted. Its discouraging when you have good info that you want to share with people only to have it disappear. People keep recommending searches but a lot of the time good info that used to be on a site is no longer available so visitors have to ask questions that may have been asked dozens of times.

Old Jan 30th, 2002, 05:15 AM
fyi

I have posted a trip report on this forum. I did not bash anything or anyone. I thought it was informative and helpful. Part of my trip report included a time where I got lost. Posters then followed with bashing saying I was stupid, disorganized, and was accused of poor trip planning. Never again will I post a trip report. Whats the point?

Old Jan 30th, 2002, 05:28 AM
anon

FYI - In on order to warn others not to make the same mistake, I also posted a faux pas that I made - only to be told how stupid I was. Some people like to criticize, some don't realize that they are hurting others. Just don't take it personally. Still, probably many people enjoyed your post. Keep trying.

Old Jan 30th, 2002, 05:54 AM
NoNames

The woman who lost her Delta voucher is a good reason why I would not post anything personal on this site again.Too many people waiting to attack the person posting,it is really awful,and amazing the amount of replies! All to bash her! The European board is a better trip report venue.

Old Jan 30th, 2002, 06:06 AM
Shain

Hi everyone,
I found it irritating, that the above "Fodorites" feel so unsure and so less sure of themself to handle appropriate critics and also on the other hand just laugh about those idiots who never get any confirmation for their own lifes and reflect their poor life with their stupid comments
on this site.
As I have to say that may reports were found on the "european" section, I never felt hurt just because a stranger founds it silly or whatever.
Fodorites my advice - just ignore them and please give the true travelers all the information you want to share with.
I can guarantee you - I will.
Shain/E.U./germany/Düsseldorf

P.S.: Does any of those idiots like to explain their behaviours ? email me

Old Jan 30th, 2002, 06:06 AM
jpm

I have my travelogues posted at www.appleberryroad.com.

Old Jan 30th, 2002, 06:10 AM
maryann

any aspect of trip planning is a learning process. I agree with what everyone says about criticism gone amuck. I, for one, have great respect for everyone's trials, tribulations, and successes in traveling. Don't stop posting all those helpful pieces of information....Thanks
Maryann

Old Jan 30th, 2002, 06:35 AM
rrr

Original poster - this was not a request for a bunch of whining replies.

Old Jan 30th, 2002, 06:48 AM
Leone

Wow, you missed my reports on Paris and South Africa? Hmmmm. And now you want to hear about Atlanta, Traverse City and St. Pete Beach? More hmmmm. Please, don't make me tell you about Michigan, please. Okay, if you insist. It snowed, and after two days we got the hell out. St. Pete ... the kite festival was great, and after three days on the beach, we got the hell out. In Atlanta, we did the usual for one day, and finally got the hell out of Hartsfield. I did like Tu Tu Tango. I've overwhelmed you with detail, but it was designed to give you some flavor. Ciao

Old Jan 30th, 2002, 06:48 AM
rrr

Sorry - was cut off. Susan, plenty of people do benefit! Let's post.

Old Jan 30th, 2002, 07:09 AM
marilyn

So, Leone, I don't quite get your point: there is nothing in the US WORTH a trip report, or we don't need them cause we should just innately KNOW how to plan US trips, or what???

Some people can make a trip report on Newark interesting, and I would be happy to read their info, and, yyes, others don't have quite the same knack for imparting the flavor of the trip. But I certainly enjoy reading trip reports, even when I'm not planning a trip to the same location. It's just that with two kids in private colleges, I don't have any interesting trips to report on. Sigh...so I REALLY depend on this site for fun!

Old Jan 30th, 2002, 07:10 AM
nina

Hmmm, I'd post my trip reports but then I'd be accused of being a show-off!

once did write a bit about a trip, but the only response I got was "Who cares!" and "big deal, blah blah blah" and even was accused of not even going on the trip, like I was making it up!

So you see rrr, one doesn't get a lot of positive reinforcement from this bunch. Let's keep the trip reports to the European boards, where they are appreciated. Unless of course you want to start, if you survive maybe we'll get some more takers....

Old Jan 30th, 2002, 07:16 AM
Shain

Hi Nina, and the other FODORITES

please don keep it only on european travels.
Did you mention that maybe hundreds or even more "non-US-Fodorites" would like to get inside information about US-travels. It's such a big place !
Please - post as usual.
Thanks from europe/germany/Shain

Old Jan 30th, 2002, 07:19 AM
njgirl

Hi Marilyn, I have to go to Newark this afternoon, and it is supposed to rain.Maybe when I get back I'll post the trip and see how interesting everyone finds itLOL

Old Jan 30th, 2002, 07:22 AM
Leone

Marilyn, not my point ... of course there are many interesting places in the USA which deserve an interesting trip report. My post was more a comment on own my trips ... truly, I just was doing my best to support the idea of reports, while trying to keep from putting anyone to sleep. Imagine an exciting discussion of St. Pete Beach. Or Traverse City (there's a good place to get the rental and drive out, fast). I've no fear of insulting anyone in TC - few if any have a thing invested in TC (I know - I asked for restaurants tips ... one person finally responded, but discussed towns 90 miles to the north). Well, I suppose Atlanta deserves a comment or two, but that's been done. Understandably (well, at least mom did), I saved my energies for places perhaps folks do not travel each weekend. But I erred. Anyway, I endorse the idea of trip reports. Now, may I please be excused for lunch! Ciao

Old Jan 30th, 2002, 07:39 AM
nina

Sure Leone, Just give us all a detailed trip report about said lunch when you return!

I will post a trip report next time, Won't be 'til mid March though! The only place I'm going between now and then is as a chaperone on the middle school ski trips, and believe me, you don't want to know. My group is already down 2 snowboarders from the first trip due to broken wrists, last weeks trips and tomorrow's are canceled (No snow!), so even those reports are pretty dismal.

Old Jan 30th, 2002, 07:46 AM
fyi

Leone,
Why read them if they put you to sleep. Are you the one that sets the standards for trip reports. If you do not find them interesting does that mean they have no place here on the board? I guess if you find no value in them then no one else will either.

Old Jan 30th, 2002, 08:16 AM
Susan

Shain, I like your style. I agree, thicker skins, people!

Please report on your trips. It's one thing to read about the planning stages and quite another to hear what worked and what didn't. I love reading them -- allows us to travel vicariously ... Though truly, Leone and Nina, sounds like you could spare us the details of some trips ;-)

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -