Reload this Page >

why do people live in the desert?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 8th, 2001, 06:58 PM
kim

My husband and I just completed a road trip out West. We were amazed at how many people lived in little house trailers out in the middle of the Mohave desert. What do these people do for a living out there? Do they have water and electricity? Can someone enlighten me?

Old Aug 8th, 2001, 09:29 PM
Sandy Desert

Hi, most of them are eccentrics that want to be alone and live their own lifestyles. Many are retired or have just dropped out of society/rat race.
Some I know of work the mines in the area or work part of the year in the gambling centers and vegetate the rest of the year. I wouldn't walk up to one of those trailers unannounced. And some don't have water and electricity.

Old Aug 9th, 2001, 05:56 AM
adf

It's one step above living on the street.

Old Aug 9th, 2001, 06:01 AM
Gene

Didn't you ever see "Raising Arizona" with Nicolas Cage and Holly Hunter?
Or how about National Lampoon's "Vegas Vacation"? Remember Randy Quaid's clan out in the desert?

Old Aug 9th, 2001, 06:04 AM
Charlie

I'd guess quite a few use them as get aways to enjoy the stark beauty and quiet of the desert.Also to escape from nosey buttinskis.

Old Aug 9th, 2001, 06:05 AM
kim

Vegas vacation is exactly what it reminded me of. After we got back from our trip my husband and I had to revisit that movie. It was even more of a "hoot" after having been to all of those places.

Old Aug 9th, 2001, 06:19 AM
Boots

I just had my first visit to the deserts of Nevada and Arizona in April. (We live in a wooded area of Virginia) I fell in love with the desert - the wide open spaces, the quiet, the desolate beauty. When I got back to Virginia, I was annoyed because I couldn't see for miles (or even 1/8 mile) because of all the trees. I want to retire out there some day. My husband said we should first spend a summer there first before we decide(he's so practical!)

Old Aug 9th, 2001, 06:23 AM
Les

Charlie, Boots:
"stark beauty", "desolate beauty" - oxymorons.

Old Aug 9th, 2001, 06:42 AM
Webster

Les:
Those aren't oxymorons.
The primary definition of beauty is: qualitites in a person or thing that gives pleasure to the senses, or pleasurably exalts the mind or spirit.
Thus, there is a definitely an "eye of the beholder" aspect to beauty, and one person's beauty may be minimalist while another's may be ornate.
I find the deserts 'starkly beautiful'. Their beauty would be diminished if they were 'less stark', for my tastes.

Old Aug 9th, 2001, 07:26 AM
kim

I too thought the desert had its own unique beauty...but it didn't make me want to live there. Just the stark sameness of the landscape, extreme temperatures, and the isolation would drive me crazy. I think I could find a better way to escape from civilization--if that's what I really wanted to do. But, to each his own.

Old Aug 9th, 2001, 07:28 AM
Les

Webster,
The definition (or one of the definitions) of Stark is "bare, blunt, harsh in appearance" (American Heritage Dictionary). Compare that to your definition of beauty.
Oxymoron.

Old Aug 9th, 2001, 07:29 AM
justkidding

I think they live there so they won't be stared at by people WITH teeth!
Maybe they're waiting for the mother ship to land and take them back.

Old Aug 9th, 2001, 07:29 AM
Cindy

Interesting. When you are raised in a place, it can be much more difficult to appreciate its beauty. I was raised in Arizona and cannot for the life of me understand why people see the desert as beautiful. I couldn't wait to get out.

Maybe that goes to show that there is a "right" place for everyone.

Old Aug 9th, 2001, 08:07 AM
Webster

Sorry, Les.
I still disagree with your interpretation.
Oxymoronic words are supposed to have opposite meanings which would make them seem illogical together at first blush.
By your own admission, one of the synonyms for stark is 'bare'. 'Bare beauty' is hardly an oxymoronic couplet.
Simple, clean, plain, unvarnished, pure, non-ornate beauty can have the same impact on one's senses as the opposite of 'bare beauty' (enhanced, adorned, embellished beauty).
A pure cobalt blue cloudless sky over a broad expanse of golden sand without a single plant, animal or embellishment is, by my definition, stark (unadorned, pure), and yet very beautiful (gives pleasure to my senses).
"Harsh beauty" would be oxymoronic. I think you're being too narrow in your interpretation of the word 'stark'.

Old Aug 9th, 2001, 09:14 AM
Les

Webster,
Fair enough. I however. think that your interpretation of beauty is too liberal.
So we can agree to disagree.
It's a good thing that there's so much room in the desert to accommodate people who share your perception. Another benefit of living in the desert is that the inevitable accompanying sun blindness can only come as a welcome relief.

Old Aug 9th, 2001, 09:16 AM
harhar

It took me a minute Les but thanks for the hearty laugh! My office mates actually turned around! It's the only way to keep them awake.

Old Aug 9th, 2001, 10:08 AM
Sandy Desert

I have known some of these people over the years and yes, many of them are characters, but that is fine. I love to meet independent people and learn about their lifestyles. Go to some of the out of way towns like Randsburg and go to the museum or the little towns outside Death Valley. I love the great outdoors and open spaces and it is great to get away from the city.

(Also alot of them are disillusioned Viet Nam vets)

Old Aug 12th, 2001, 09:24 PM
Lisa

I do not know if it was so in the case of the trailers you saw, but there are some areas where the snowbirds come for the winter and park their trailers. Looks like you went this summer so that may not be the case. I love the desert!