Why do people come here to the U.S.?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 8th, 2007, 01:53 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Just kidding...kind of. I think of us Americans always trying to escape to somewhere with beautiful architecture or old world charm like European cities. Why do you Europeans come to the U.S.? Do you ever go to Walmart when you are here? What's the strangest thing you've ever seen here in America?
Old Apr 8th, 2007, 02:58 AM

KimikoPi
I recently spent 5 days in Dallas,came to see the JFK museum , Dealey Plaza etc.
The strangest thing that I saw was a pub in Fort Worth called the Fox and Hounds,it was supposed to be an English pub but was nothing like one!!They even had carpets with pictures of foxes and hounds on them,by the way foxhunting is now illegal in England with packs of hounds!!
It was my first time in the USA and was an interesting experience
Old Apr 8th, 2007, 03:28 AM

A lot people that live in the US travel around the US. There is a lot to see in the US without going to Europe and is more convienent. As far as natural wonders, the US has some of the best. You can find some beautiful architecture also in the US. Washington DC, IMO has a old world charm to it because most of the building are built out of stone, even though the building are newer. Still, Europe's strength is the old world charm, but we have the Grand Canyon, Denali, Yellowstone, Yosemite and many other beautiful national parks. Yes, the alps are pretty, but if you go to Grand Teton National Park in Wyoming, it is just like the Alps and better and you have Yellowstone 60 miles to the north. The strangest thing I have ever seen in America is a UFO, sort of, more a glowing light rising out of a valley, but very strange, had not seen anything like it before.
Old Apr 8th, 2007, 02:13 PM

I am from Canada and in a word - Target!

No seriously, we travel to Key Biscayne, Florida in the winter to get a respite from the cold, and love Cape Cod in the summer because of the proximity to the ocean and the activities it has to offer, plus the clam shacks!
Old Apr 9th, 2007, 06:54 AM

We come to the states for the wonderful nature and the diversity of it.The vastness of it is very impressive.In our country I dont think we will be able to drive in our cars due to the ever increasing traffic in 10 years time.In one of my travel guides there's a quote saying "America is a country with a lot of geography and little culture". When we live in the shadow of a gothic cathedral you're not impressed any more visiting most US cities.We love the National parks and the feeling of freedom in this majestic nature.We also visit the history of the Native indians and the history of the country: revolution-civil war sites.We went to Wal marts once to buy one of those small(six pack)boxes where you can put your drinks in and keep the cool while travelling. Paul
Old Apr 9th, 2007, 06:57 AM

Europeans come to the US because they have buying power, too.
Old Apr 9th, 2007, 07:02 AM

Perhaps they like visiting a place where people assume their accent is a sign they are cultured, educated, and capable of pairing wine with asparagus.

At home he might be known as the London Sun reading Chav, but here in the US he is viewed as "thisclose" to the Royal Family.

Old Apr 9th, 2007, 07:13 AM

I hate hate hate it when people say that the US has no culture. It is completely and totally untrue.....
The fact is that as a country it is so vast, that there are many cultures exisiting at once (southern, western, new england, etc).....
Old Apr 9th, 2007, 07:16 AM

Believe it or not, there are some wonderful sights to see here in the U.S. I am a HUGE fan of the Travel Channel, especially Taste of America. It's interesting to see how people in other states live. I think Europeans come to the U.S. for the same reason we go to Europe: to see how we live, to taste our foods, to shop, to sightsee, and to relax. Did you get a chance to watch Oprah when she and Gayle drove across America? It was a true eye opener. It made me want to start planning a cross country trip. The last time I did something like that was when I was a little girl traveling with my family. Those are memories (good, bad, funny, and sad) that I will cherish for the rest of my life. Hopefully I will be able to do the same with my own family.

Personally, I don't care for Walmart and I choose not to shop there. However, if I'm visiting another city/state and that is all that I can find for small incidentals, then I will go there.
Old Apr 9th, 2007, 07:17 AM

It doesn't bother me so much when non-Americans insist that the US has 'no culture.' What bothers me more is when non-Americans insist that they do.
Old Apr 9th, 2007, 07:25 AM

Hello.
My wife and I have been visiting the US at least twice a year since our first visit in 1992. We have travelled the east coast, the west coast and Vegas to Miami via all states in between.
The US folks are friendly, the food is excellent (and cheap - so is gas) and it's such a diverse country.
We'd love to live there but can't - visa, green card etc..
The scenery is outstanding but we do find it a little quirky that something which is dated about 1700 is viewed as being historical. To we Brits that's pretty modern. Our local pub was built in 1520. Couldn't quite make sense of the Alamo- big defeat, Mexicans got their land back, but the US people celebrate the event. Also the Bunker Hill battle which wasn't at Bunker Hil and the ride to Concorde, which didn't take place. Maybe it's the same as the Brits and the Charge of the Light Brigade? Not poking fun at the US. I have too much respect - and one other thing- the US is (generally) much cleaner than Britain. We have trash everywhere. I detest London because of that.
Back to the US again in June. Haven't been there since February. Love it, love it.
So we'll keep visiting
Old Apr 9th, 2007, 07:35 AM

"... we do find it a little quirky that something which is dated about 1700 is viewed as being historical."

What's the difference between N. Americans and Europeans?

N. Americans think 100 years is a long time, Europeans think 100 miles is a long distance.

Old Apr 9th, 2007, 09:51 AM

LOL - Shelli - isn't that the truth!

Old Apr 9th, 2007, 10:59 AM

Great post will be interesting to read the different responses:

DavidBailey - Liked your post and was very surprised to hear about the cleanliness part. I just always pictured London(never been) as this pristine, polite, proper place as are it's residents. We get many Brits in my hometown (Orlando) and they are for the most part very nice and polite.

ShelliDawn - great post!!

Dabber - No disrespect, but just curious why of all the places in the US, you decided to visit Dallas. It is just not high on the tourist radar and is not considered a vacation destination.

Europeans, bring on your responses.
Old Apr 9th, 2007, 11:48 AM

gmoney
if you read my post again I did say that I went to Dallas to see the JFK stuff,I found it more interesting to see a slice of ordinary everyday American life rather than join all the other Brits in Orlando(no insult meant to your hometown as I am sure that it is very nice)or New York.
Old Apr 9th, 2007, 12:24 PM

OK, David, here's more US history than you ever wanted to know.

The Alamo is sort of the US answer to the Greeks at Thermopylae. Even though the rebel Texans were defeated by an overwhelming force, they managed to delay the Mexican army long ehough to allow the rebel forces to regroup under Sam Houston and eventually win independence.
You say 1700 is old to Americans? Heck, 1950 is old to most Americans.
Bunker Hill and Concord fall into the category of "never let the facts stand in the way of a good story."
Enjoy your visit(s).
Old Apr 9th, 2007, 12:38 PM

My international guests are always amazed at how friendly and hospitable people are in the US.
Man made things are great... but the US and Canada are blessed with some of the best natural beauty in the world.
Old Apr 10th, 2007, 07:30 AM
MaureenB

I've assumed that many people, especially Europeans, travel to the U.S. for our wide open country vistas. Also for the big cities, especially on each coast. Thanks for posting this interesting question. I get so tired of American-bashing that it's good to hear what people like about us and our country. I think we're pretty nice here!
>-

Old Apr 10th, 2007, 08:22 AM

gmoney... Dallas/Texas not a tourist destination? You are kidding, right? Ever heard of the Dallas Cowboys? The Southfork Ranch? The JFK Musuem at Dealey Plaza? SMU? The Cotton Bowl? Don't forget to stop at the Dallas World Aquarium and the Museum of Modern Art. On your 25-minute drive to Fort Worth, make a stop at Lone Star Park for some great horse-racing. Then to Arlington for the beautiful Rangers Ballpark and Six Flags Over Texas (as well as the future home of the Dallas Cowboys). And another 15-mt-ride from there to beautiful Bass Hall and Sundance Square in Fort Worth, TCU, the fine Fort Worth Zoo, not to mention the Amon Carter and Kimbell art museums (two of the finest in America). Don't forget the best display of spring wildflowers anywhere in the US: bluebonnets, black-eyed susans, winecups, coriopsis, indian paintbrush, etc. Come find out for yourself. The Dallas metroplex, as well as Texas as a whole, has a lot to see and do. (And we don't have to shovel anything in the winter!)
Old Apr 10th, 2007, 08:42 AM
granniem

I live 20 miles north of New York City and it always gets to me when people want to come visit, especially in the summer when it is hot. I dream of the beach.........I find New York City hot and very dirty. Hotel rooms are small and cost a fortune..
To each his own......LOL

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -