Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page >

Why arent American hotels cheaper if you have to tip?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Dec 27th, 2002, 06:11 PM
Graeme

In Australia tipping is not expected.If the barman in an American hotel earns $5 an hour plus tips,why are not the drinks cheaper than in Australia where the barman earns at least $12 per hour?

Old Dec 27th, 2002, 06:23 PM
Ryan

As I tell my young son, "sometimes in life, it just is."

The real answer of course has to do with expectations of price and consumer willingness to spend. Call it custom, tradition, etc. In NYC you charge $18 for a martini and $10 for a beer because you can. Patrons are willing to pay this because in the context of NY, it isn't abnormal. It also has to do with the local cost of living and salaries within a given market.

Prices in the US are by no means uniform. That $10 beer in NYC, is a $5 beer in Kansas City.

Old Dec 27th, 2002, 06:32 PM
Dah

Because Australians are heavy drinkers and New Yorkers rip off anybody stupid enough to blow their money.

Old Dec 27th, 2002, 06:33 PM
Anthony

Graeme:
Just remember, since you have posted your question in the US board, using the term 'hotel' might confuse some Americans that do not know that in Australia the term also refers to a bar or drinking establishment. Here in the States, the term is only used to mean a lodging establishment.

Old Dec 27th, 2002, 07:07 PM
Graeme

I take your point but I also mean room rates and other costs.

Old Dec 28th, 2002, 12:53 PM
jt

The tipping conventions are totally irrational, but you can escape most of it. Tip hungry taxi's are almost always avoidable if you research shuttles, busses, etc. Now you can more commonly get near-gourmet food in self-service eateries rather than having to put up with expensive waiter service vs. greasy self-service dives. Cheaper hotels don't have so many helpers with their hands stuck out either.

Old Dec 28th, 2002, 01:04 PM
Tipper

That $5.00 beer in Kansas City will cost you $2.00 in Montana

Old Dec 28th, 2002, 06:29 PM
Tippy

My Tip for you...
just don't tip . We stay in hotels all over the world and seldom leave tips. Only if someone goes out of their way for us will we tip them and that is right at the time, we don't leave tips for everyone that we met during our stay.

Old Dec 29th, 2002, 07:46 AM
jason

Why are you comparing the US to Australia? We have different standards than you. And it doesn't surprise me that your observation concerns the price of booze! I like to tip a few once in a while too, but how about something more important?

Old Dec 29th, 2002, 07:53 AM
titus

The drinks are FREE at my house mate. come on over! Hell with NY. I live in the grand Mid West.

Old Dec 29th, 2002, 07:58 AM
Patrick

It's pretty hard to compare apples to apples. I found the hotels in Sydney and Melbourne to be much higher in price than comparable hotels in US cities like Chicago or San Francisco --tips or no tips. There are some hotels that are expensive and some not so expensive. I'm not really sure what you are comparing here.
And the same is true of things like drinks. Drinks at different bars in Australia can vary by as much as double price easily, so I'm not sure what bar in Australia you're comparing to what bar in the US?

Old Dec 29th, 2002, 08:07 AM
Graeme

Patrick, I appreciate that you must compare apples with apples.My point is that if emplyees receive part of their remuneration in tips,the over heads of the establishment should be lower and therefore the prices lower.

Old Dec 29th, 2002, 08:15 AM
Patrick

No doubt they are lower than if they didn't do tips. If the business had to pay much higher salaries to their employees than their prices would obviously be higher than they are now. That's just common sense. You may think $35 is a lot to pay for a steak in a restaurant, but if the restaurant had to pay all their employees much higher salaries and there were no tips, you can bet that same steak would then cost $40 or even $42. If the steak were $18 in a cheaper restaurant now, without a tipping system you can bet that the price of the steak would increase to $20 or $22. No matter how high you think the prices are now, you can bet they'd be higher without a tipping system. It only makes sense.

Old Dec 29th, 2002, 08:19 AM
ross

Patrick, Your are not listening. The tip or the amount of the tip has nothing to do with the price of the drink. The price of the drike is determined by the loction and the atmosphere of the bar or restaurant.

Old Dec 29th, 2002, 08:21 AM
ross

mistake - I meant Graeme, not Patrick

Old Dec 29th, 2002, 08:27 AM
Graeme

Ross,the question then is-What do I get For my tip?

Old Dec 29th, 2002, 08:41 AM
Jeff

<<<Ross,the question then is-What do I get For my tip?>>>

You get service!! You get the bartender/maid to listen to your nonsense stories and how good or bad your life is. This in no way is meant to be an insult. I have bartended many times for 4 bucks and hour plus tips. I have to put up with obnoxious drunks, women telling me about their love life, men telling me about how bad the local sports team is and on and on. A good bartender (as I am) will work the bar and mengle with customers and smile the entire time. Therefore, I get a tip, for being a nice person and good customer service.

Old Dec 29th, 2002, 08:49 AM
Milton

From Economics 101 - First, prices are a function of supply and demand. The price of an item is the equilibrium between the two.

Then, factor in the elasticity of an item's price. In other words, the ability for the seller of said item to raise the price and charge more for an item than would be implied by a simple determination of supply and demand imbalances.

In a capitalist society, the goal of most businesses is to maximize profit. Of course, some spin that differently so you wind up with businesses that seek the maximum profit margin per unit, in some cases to avoid being a mass seller, whereas other's look for increased profit dollars, which implies high volume/low margin.

In a free market economy, prices are therefore a function of supply, demand, and profit expectations, which factors in the impact of vairable cost fluctuations due to geographic expense differences.

Old Dec 29th, 2002, 09:32 AM
Celine

I believe that the price of drinks is determined by the idiots who frequent the bars. If they have low self esteem, they are actually 'proud' to pay such high prices for drinks. They need to be in an environment where 'I can afford a $10 drink, therefore I'm rich and important'. That's my theory on the whole thing. You don't see that kind of pricing where people are themselves and just want to have fun and chat with a good beer.

Also, prices are higher where salaries are higher. People in Montana (in general) don't make as much money, and don't have as many tourists as people in New York.

As for the tips, you don't have to tip if you don't want to, that'll cut some of the cost.

Old Dec 29th, 2002, 09:33 AM
Celine

sorry, meant to say 'don't have as many tourists as New York' (not as people in New York!).

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -