Reload this Page >

Who went to Hawaii and didn't like it?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 11th, 2002, 07:49 AM
The Anti-Hula

I have been there and thought it was the pits. The Caribbean is way better - nicer people, better beaches, bluer water and none of that sleep-inducing Hawaiian "music". Kauai is especially overrated, nothing but scenery amidst McDonalds and Walmart, maybe two excellent restaurants and zero nightlife. The only thing you'll find on every corner in Kauai is someone trying to sell you a timeshare.

Old Jul 11th, 2002, 08:04 AM
bettyk

Sorry, can't agree. I thought the Carribean had nice beaches, but got VERY tired of some huckster trying to sell me something on every street corner. Lots of poverty. And, don't even think about driving over there! Nobody even pays attention to the traffic lights! I'll take Hawaii any day!

Old Jul 11th, 2002, 08:15 AM
Troll

This is a TROLL POST of the first order.

So anyone who replies, beware that the original poster really doesn't care about your opinion....they just want to irritate you.

I will say that while Hawaii and Caribbean both have their pros/cons, the Caribbean's better resorts are waaaay overpriced and the food is, in general, MUCH poorer than in Hawaii.
Caribbean has better beaches and water overall. But for the discriminating traveller, Hawaii has more to offer (unless you're willing to pay $1000 a night at Sandy Lane in Barbados or $900 a night at Cap Juluca, etc).

Old Jul 11th, 2002, 08:40 AM
maria

I agree with you. Didn't care for HI. I found the people working in the tourist areas were rude. Beach was okay. Carebbean is alot better.

Old Jul 11th, 2002, 02:48 PM
Patty

bettyk,
Not EVERY Caribbean island has a huckster on every street corner. In 3 trips to the BVI's, I don't recall that ever happening even once.

Troll,
I have to agree with most of what you say. I do enjoy the food in Hawaii and find the beaches/water in the Caribbean better overall. But I don't find the top Caribbean resorts to be overpriced (at least not anymore overpriced than the top Hawaiian resorts). Plus when comparing prices you have to consider that the luxury properties in the Caribbean are usually quoting AP or MAP rates (many will not let you book room only). Right now you can stay at Peter Island for $475 a night including 3 meals (and the food is wonderful), watersports, transfers, and you have a private island with 7 beaches for your use. That's a pretty good value IMO.

Old Jul 11th, 2002, 03:58 PM
Dottie

I think the Dells in Wisconsin are better than both Hawaii and the Carribean.

Old Jul 11th, 2002, 04:28 PM
jerry

The Dells better than BOTH Hawaii and the Carribean!? That is funnier than anything I could ever write!

Old Jul 11th, 2002, 07:17 PM
susan

How old are you Dottie 10????

Old Jul 11th, 2002, 10:16 PM
Ron

Well, Anti-Hula, you must be -- in addition to a troll -- one of those While Trash party animals that loves Jamaica, naturally!!