Reload this Page >

Whitewater rafting in New England

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 20th, 2001, 03:49 PM
david

I'll be spending 2 weeks this July driving around in New England with my sons. We would like to do some rafting/canoeing etc. Any advice for where we should go or who to contact would be appreciated. We've never done any rafting before!

David

Old Jun 21st, 2001, 05:03 AM
Sandra

David,

You didn't mention where in New Eng. but there is White Water rafting in Charlton, MAss. with an outfit named Zoar Outdoor 800 532-7483. I haven't used this outfit but friends have gone with their boy scout troop and enjoyed it. Also Wilderness Plus 800 866 6943, Crabapple 800 553 7238 and North American 800 RAPIDS9.

If you're going to Maine you can white water raft on either the Kennebunk or Pennobscot Rivers. The Kennebunk would be my recommendation if you've never gone before. We've used Northern Outdoors (do a search for a website) and they have a number of package plans available. A day trip down the river includes a stop along the way for a wonderful steak dinner prepared by the guides. There are lots of rapids but also some down time to swim, use inflatable kyaks that they provide and just relax. They take photos and videos along the way and of course they are available for purchase afterwards. It's a great adventure. There are some age restrictions, I think you need to be over 14 for the Penobscot. The Pennobscot trips leave from Milinocket which is way up in Maine. I can't remember where the Kennebuc trips start but it might be Skohegan.

If you just want to canoe or kayak - you can rent canoes a couple of places on the Charles River which goes into Boston 617 965 5110 or river and ocean trips with Kayak Learning in Beverly 800 94-Kayak.

Old Jun 21st, 2001, 06:41 AM
Ann

David, the white water in Maine tends to be more exciting than that in Mass. (from what my daughter reports). The Maine outfitters are centered mostly in a town called The Forks. There's one company called Moxie (Moxie Adventures or something like that) and many others. I think if you did a web search for Maine and whitewater or rafting you'd find a number of them.

Okay, I did the search and found LOTS fo companies. If you go to
http://www.raftmaine.com/outfitters_1.shtml you'll find a listing of thirteen different companies, with links to their own sites. Have a great time.

Old Jun 22nd, 2001, 12:01 AM
David

Many thanks to Ann and Sandra for their most helpful advice. I'll be following them up.

David

Old Jun 22nd, 2001, 03:52 AM
Neal Sanders

David, I've been on one of the Zoar day rafting trips out of Charlton. The trips are timed to the release of water from a power plant, and turn what is otherwise a serene river into a set of class 1 and 2 rapids for a few hours.

It's kind of "rafting lite", with eight man boats, just enough buffeting and spray to keep it interesting, but with very little danger. If you've not been rafting before, it will be a good introduction.