which to choose maine or colorado or SD

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 12th, 2008, 05:22 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Well there is a very good chance my caribbean trip with my sisters has fallen through (don't even ask its all drama!) so i am looking for a new trip for myself. and i am thinking maine or colorado. then i thought i have never been to the dakotas.

maine would be easy, as it's a days drive away, i wouldn't have to hastle with the airport and car rentals...Of course colorado well the rockies rock! i would consider either grand lake or este park (i know este park is touristy but i really like staying just outside of town and still have the town to visit)

i like to hike and i know the hiking will be great in colorado and there are some great hike/walks in maine, i was thinking schoodic (sp?) penninula rather that MDI.

then i though i haven't been to the badlands/rapid city area but that is a more comlicated flight to get, and might need the most planning.

any thoughts on where to go, where to stay? single woman hiking , lake kayaking, and oh well i'll say it, shopping!
Old Jan 12th, 2008, 05:50 AM

When are you planning to go?
Old Jan 12th, 2008, 06:56 AM

If you want Colorado and the Black Hills you could fly into Denver and rent a car. There are plenty of places to see between the Badlands and Black Hills of SD and Colorado for a two or three day drive.
Although a trip to Maine for lobster doesn't sound bad either having never been there.
Old Jan 12th, 2008, 07:35 AM
LHS

Flying in or out of Rapid City generally requires a change of plane in either Minneapolis or Denver, but I haven't viewed it as particularly complicated.

The Black Hills, especially Custer State park area, are great for hiking.
Old Jan 12th, 2008, 09:06 AM
Original Poster

oops, i plan on going the 1st week of sept. if i decide on SD, is rapid city a good hub, deadwood? i would definately be going to devil's tower, and heads on a hill. (sorry i can't help it, that's how i reference Mt. R. !) are there trails in the bad lands similar to southern utah hiking? bryce canyonlike or canyonlands? I thought about colorado and SD but didn't want too much driving... and where would i find info on hiking in the black hills? all help appreciated!
Old Jan 12th, 2008, 11:21 AM

I've been to CO and Maine so I can only comment on those. But I guess my comment would have more to do with the fact that in Maine it generally is a very homogenous group of retirees/baby boomers and families with small children; Colorado might have more of a mix of people in all age categories which just generally might make it more fun for you. Not that you are going to either place to hang out with others, but the atmosphere might generally be different. And like you said - the Rockies Rock!
Old Jan 12th, 2008, 12:31 PM

If you decide on South Dakota, I'd stay in Custer. You will be more centrally located for the activities you want to do--hiking, Mt. Rushmore, etc. In addition to motels in town, there are lodges in Custer State Park (Game Lodge, Blue Bell Lodge) and there's Sylvan Lake Lodge. Check out the hike up Harney Peak (the highest peak east of the Rockies) to the now-abandoned rock fire tower. (It used to be manned when I was a kid, but no more.) The trailhead is at Sylvan Lake.
Old Jan 13th, 2008, 07:24 AM
LHS

Here's a guide to hiking in Custer State Park:

http://www.sdgfp.info/Parks/Regions/.../csptrails.htm

My favorite is Little Devil's Tower, not quite as long or strenuous as Harney.

Here's one for the Badlands:

http://www.badlands.national-park.com/hike.htm