Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page >

Which states besides NYC need my vacation dollars?

Old Feb 6th, 2002, 05:58 PM
nan

Pretty open about our 3 week vacation plans. Which states are hurting the most with poor economy & could use our groups vacation dollars? Thanks -

Old Feb 6th, 2002, 07:29 PM
Daniel Williams

I forget what's the poorest state these days...Mississippi, Alabama, West Virginia?

Old Feb 7th, 2002, 05:52 AM
chuck

nan,

I'm not saying South Carolina is the poorest state, but we would welcome you on vacation. (As if I speak for the entire state

Try the coast, all the way from my digs at North Myrtle Beach, to Charleston, Hilton Head, and several nice little places in-between (Georgetown, Beaufort).

Come down and relax, eat some great seafood, go boating or golfing or birding, or just sit in your oceanfront condo/villa/cottage and watch the beautiful sunrises and sunsets.

Old Feb 7th, 2002, 05:56 AM
sss

Hawaii Hawaii Hawaii

Old Feb 7th, 2002, 06:00 AM
Incognito

The answer is probably "all of them", but since you probably don't want to vacation in Mississippi, stick to the usual big name places.

And not to be picky, but NYC is not a state.

Old Feb 7th, 2002, 06:09 AM
Amy

Tourism in Washington, DC has apparently been hit pretty hard. Not that the District is a state, but that's a totally different discussion.
r/
Amy

Old Feb 7th, 2002, 06:19 AM
kkj

Tourism is down all over and every state could use the business. I think you should plan your vacation according to where you wanted to go without this consideration. No matter where you pick, you can be assured that you and your tourist dollars will be most appreciated.

Old Feb 7th, 2002, 05:36 PM
Glenda

Come to Oregon and Washington. We have the highest and 2nd highest unemployment in the country so we need your dollars. But more than that the northwest has everything for a perfect vacation, a gorgeous coastline, magnificent mountains, high desert, and beautiful green valleys. Come in July or August and the weather is almost perfect, never too hot, always cool in the evening and virtually no humidity (unless you catch one of our famous rainstorms).

Old Feb 7th, 2002, 05:52 PM
max

That is OK ,Incognito-it isn't being picky to tell someone that New York City is not a state.
I would think there are so many states that need money, South Dakota, Arizona, there are a lot of towns hurting.It is really impossible to pick one that needs your money the most..might as well decide on a destination according to your likes and dislikes ,rather than who needs your money.Unless you would rather skip the holiday and just donate all of the money?

Old Feb 7th, 2002, 07:17 PM
LAGirl

California could use a boost for the economy. Our unemployment rate continues to rise and the movie industry has taken to other locations.

And the best part is that our state offers so many things to see and do. The beauty of the ocean, mountains, desert and more - all wrapped up into one state. Wine tasting one day, outdoor sports the next.

Old Feb 7th, 2002, 08:34 PM
capital

dc

Old Feb 8th, 2002, 06:14 PM
Kari

Oregon!!

Old Feb 8th, 2002, 09:06 PM
Jb

Come to Lowell Arkansas!!!!!!