Which side of Kauai in November

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 21st, 2007, 01:15 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Husband and I are planning a two-week trip to Oahu and Kauai starting November 7. On Kauai, I'm sure we'll be visiting beaches, possibly snorkeling and hiking, and doing some excursions (plane or heli tour, ATV tour, etc.). I've heard that different parts of the island are better at certain times of the year. I was thinking of staying on the north side. Can you shed some light on this? Thanks!
Old Jun 21st, 2007, 01:22 PM
poolboy

November is generally considered the beginning of winter and on the north shore that can mean high surf conditions and a bit more rain...and lower temoperatures by two or three degrees.

Old Jun 25th, 2007, 04:09 AM
Original Poster

Anyone else want to weigh in on this?

Should the threat of high surf keep me from staying on the north side? If I opt to stay elsewhere, what's my best bet?

Thanks!
Old Jun 25th, 2007, 05:18 AM

I live on the northshore of Kaua`i and love it -- but poolboy is correct with his surf and weather observations for November.

For a one week vacation in November on this beautiful island, Po`ipu might be the better place for you to stay. But do listen to the morning weather/surf reports, and head for the northshore for a day when they give an "all clear"! 8-)
Old Jun 25th, 2007, 07:28 AM
Original Poster

Thanks auntie - I was hoping you'd give me some advice. I've enjoyed reading A LOT of your posts. Definitely want to get to the north shore at least one day - it sounds beautiful! If we stay in Poipu, how long will it take to get to the north shore?
Old Jun 25th, 2007, 01:50 PM

Depending on whether you make the drive on a weekday or a weekend -- and if you miss the morning/afternoon work commuters -- you can make the drive non-stop in about 90 minutes. But of course you will want to stop along the way (so many interesting sites to see!).

I'd suggest a weekday drive...have a bite to eat and then leave Po`ipu after 8a.m. (to miss the commuters who drive into Lihu`e/Kapa`a). Have a late breakfast in Kapa`a at Olympic Cafe, then enjoy yourselves. Be sure to see the Kilauea Lighthouse, drive through Princeville (we're a planned community -- condos, then houses, then timeshares, then condos & timeshares, then more houses, then the Princeville Hotel at the end of the road), take a walking tour of Hanalei and go out and enjoy Hanalei Bay, Makua (Tunnels) and Ke`e (end of the road). By early afternoon you'll be ready to head back to Po`ipu.

One word of caution -- head back out of the northshore before 3pm, or you'll get caught in all the traffic caused by the assorted construction crews heading home to Kapa`a.

And take advantage of the Kapa`a bypass road to escape all that dreaded traffic too. Use google.com, insert "kapaa bypass kauai", then click "maps" for directions. Taking the bypass southbound, can shave as much as 30 minutes off your drive! We love it!! 8-)
Old Jun 25th, 2007, 06:43 PM
Original Poster

Wow! Thanks auntie for planning out a day up north for us. Great info - I can't wait to visit your neck of the woods!
Old Jun 25th, 2007, 06:52 PM
kealalani

that auntie sure is our fodorite dj hostest with the mostest! check out her radio show while on island!!!! Although I might suggest a slightly different itinery. Head out at the break of dawn before traffic and head straight to Hanalei and the "SleepinLateCafe" - code for the Wakeup Cafe for amazing mac rolls and coffee. Then do the first couple of miles of the trail before the masses and meander your way back to visit the beaches as you slowly make your way home.

Although the bananamac pancakes at Oly do forever call me~~~~~
Hugs and Aloha Auntie
Happy Planning jr!!!
Malama Pono
K

Old Jun 25th, 2007, 07:43 PM
Original Poster

auntie - or anyone else - any suggestions as to where to stay in Poupi? I'd like to rent a condo or small (1 bedroom) house. I've looked on a lot of rental websites, but am not sure which properties are decent.
Old Jun 25th, 2007, 07:48 PM
kealalani

all I can tell you is that I have found all rental agencies and vrbo to be completely honest in their photos and descriptions of properties on Kauai. Search and when you see a place that is clean, updated and decorated to your liking, it is a good gamble that it will be to your liking. Good luck with your search! When you see the place you will know - at least if you are like me in any way! Cheers!

Old Jun 26th, 2007, 05:20 AM

We stayed at Kiahuna Plantation last October and loved the unit and location. The complex is located next to the Sheraton on a gorgeous beach. Across the street is a small shopping complex and several restaurants. We enjoyed Roy's, Keoki's and the kids loved Puka Dog. Every morning we would take a short walk down the beach to the Marriott for coffee and pastries.

We rented our unit through Outrigger. You can reserve an unit through their website or check VRBO for units at Kiahuna Plantation. I might try that on my next trip.

Old Jun 26th, 2007, 09:36 PM

we visited kauai in december and stayed on the north shore. we loved it but be very careful as the waves and rip currents can be very dangerous. be sure to check local water/surf conditions at various beaches - follow posted warnings, & swim at guarded beaches.
Old Jun 27th, 2007, 03:54 AM
iceeu2

Since everyone else has weighed in on the north and south, I will come in for the east!! We have stayed at the Pono Kai in Kapa'a several times, at the Courtyard by Marriott (it is something else now) near the Coconut MarketPlace and most recently at the new Waipouli Beach Resort.

We rented at the Waipouli thru vrbo and had a beautiful 1 br/2ba condo with state of the art appliances.

Happy searching for the right place.

Old Jun 27th, 2007, 03:56 AM
iceeu2

And, we have also stayed in the timeshare units at the Marriott in Lihue. Beautiful resort....grand pool..on Kalapaki Bay...watch the cruise ships come and go!

Old Jun 29th, 2007, 06:08 AM
Original Poster

Just wanted to say thank you to all who answered my question. Very helpful info! I'm leaning toward Poupi, husband sounds more interested in Kapaa. He doesn't want to be in an area that's too remote. But I don't want to be in the hustle and bustle after spending the week before in Waikiki.

Having never been to Kauai, I'm not familiar with either area. Maybe Kapaa isn't as busy as I'm imagining it. To me, it sounds like Myrtle Beach - which we both dislike.
Old Jun 29th, 2007, 06:41 AM
iceeu2

Trust me, Kapa'a is not Myrtle Beach! Not even close. People talk about the traffic, but honestly, we have never had problems. Maybe we just come and go at the right times. Or, maybe we are just used to traffic during the commute to work and it doesn't bother us.

I don't think you can go wrong with any of the areas. This is a lot of the fun of planning!

Don't fret, you will agree upon the perfect place.

Old Jun 29th, 2007, 06:47 AM

Don't worry about Poipu being too remote. It is a planned resort area with everything a traveler could want or need.

The nice thing about the Kiahuna Plantation in Poipu is that it is on a swimming beach...if that is important to you.

Old Jun 29th, 2007, 08:14 AM

We had great snorkeling right off the beach in Poipu. We just waded in and saw a lot of gorgeous, colorful fish right off he beach. Not sure if this is typical - the locals were all commenting on how good the snorkeling was that day. We thought Poipu was a really pretty area. You might want to go check out the spouting horn while you're in the area. Have fun!
Old Jun 29th, 2007, 11:26 PM

I'll second or third a vote for Kiahuna, But keep in mind your experience will depend on where you stay in the complex. Stay as close to the beach as possible, doesn't need to be ocean view, and the Sheraton side could be quieter due to construction on the hotel next door. Although I didn't hear any construction while there last week.
Also VRBO is the way to go. You'll know exactly were you'll be, what the unit looks like and it's cheaper. Outrigger treats you exactly the same as any other guest. Do ask if any units around you will be undergoing remodeling before you book.
Kiahuna doesn't doesn't have AC, it's never been a problem for us even in the summer though. Start doing your VRBO search ASAP for the best units.
You won't regret staying in the south shore. It has plenty of services and great swimmable beaches. And yes tons and tons of tropical fish.
Old Jul 10th, 2007, 06:12 AM

Every second spent in the North is precious, so why not stay up there and on a cloudy day drive south rather than stay in the touristy south and risk a drive north? The problem with planning a day trip from over-developed Poipu to the miraculous Hanalei is that you never know when it's going to rain up there. It may look sunny and the forecast may call for no rain, but you just never know, and if you start driving up North and fighting the traffic only to hit rain and have to turn around, you've wasted most of a day. Find a cottage in or near Hanalei and you won't regret it--not for a (precious) second.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -