Which REDWOODS to miss?

Search

Which REDWOODS to miss?

Search this Thread

Old Aug 8th, 2006, 07:28 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Which REDWOODS to miss?

Those of you familiar with the redwoods places, which is better?

We will go to Yosemite so Sequoia redwoods will be close then.
However, we also could go over to the Pacific coast after leaving Crater Lake to drive down to Napa. Neither of us has been that route. If we go this route to see Redwood National Park in northwest corner of CA, would we be really missing it if we didn't visit Sequoia NP?
Old Aug 8th, 2006, 07:51 PM

The redwoods on the coast are different from the giant redwoods in the sierra. The big difference is that coast redwoods are tall, tall, tall and the giant redwoods are not quite as tall but super thick. If you will be seeing the Mariposa Grove in Yosemite those would be similar to the ones in Sequoia but if you went to Yosemite and Sequoia and skipped Redwoods Park you would miss the coast redwoods.
Old Aug 8th, 2006, 07:59 PM

I think you are asking:

If we are going to see Redwood Natl Park on way to Yosemite and we will visit Mariposa Grove while in Yosemite, do we need to go to Sequoia Natl Park?

The answer is NO. Been there; done both! With limited time, you will not be depriving yourself. I enjoyed Sequoia, but it was more and more of the same as Mariposa...not to minimize its grandeur! It's just that sometimes you have to make choices and I think this will be an acceptable compromise.
Old Aug 9th, 2006, 09:41 AM

I too think that skipping Sequoia is fine if you have seen Mariposa Grove in Yosemite. I loved our trip to Sequoia NP - really beautiful place - but if you have to make a choice and cannot see everything, then skipping Sequoia makes sense.

As Suzie said - the giant sequoias and the coastal redwoods are very different, so if possible, you should see both.
Old Aug 10th, 2006, 09:06 AM
Original Poster

May go over to Redwood National Park and the Pacific coast after leaving Crater Lake to drive down to Napa as we've not been that route.

Will look at Mariposa Grove while in Yosemite and skip Sequoia NP.

There's only so much we will want of it all. Allowing 7 weeks for 10,000 miles and camping as much as the bones will take.

Old Aug 10th, 2006, 09:38 AM

Please see this post: "Fitting Yosemite into Los Angeles - San Fran Highway 1 drive". There seems to be some problems with highway access to Mariposa Grove.
Old Aug 12th, 2006, 01:18 PM

There is no problem with access to Mariposa Grove which is near the south entrance on 41. There is a rock slide on 140 east of the town of Mariposa which has virtually cut it off from Yopsemite. There are now guided one way trips a few times per day as they build a new road with bridges over the Merced River. The slide was so massive that the original road will never be used again.

If you are going to Yosemite from Napa you will use 120 to get to the park anyway so don't worry about the road in. You will drive to the MAriposa Grove on 41 so the rock slide and road closure should not affect you. Sometimes towns and park areas have the same names and this results in some confusion for those unfamiliar with the difference. You can click on this link to find out more information about the rock slide and how it affects the town of Mariposa or the route into Yosemite from there:
http://inciweb.org/incident/236/

Old Aug 12th, 2006, 02:16 PM

We have visited the Redwoods most years since I was a kid. (that was a long long time ago!!!!!) I have to say that without a doubt if you can do it the coast redwoods are the most breathtaking. There is a section on Hwy 101 well north of Napa called Avenue of the Giants. It is actually the old 101 that we traveled on all those years ago. If you have never done that drive it is a must. You will never forget it. There are spots where you can get back onto they main Hwy as you go along but try to drive it all. It isn't that long. They are just spectacular. Here is a website to give you an idea of location and hilites.

http://www.avenueofthegiants.net/
Old Aug 13th, 2006, 09:36 AM

I agree with wrldtrvlr05 - Avenue of the Giants is not to be missed!
Old Aug 13th, 2006, 03:20 PM

Wrldtrvl is right. All redwoods are spectacular but the Avenue of the Giants is one of the wonders of the world as far as I am concerned. You can't describe the feeling you get driving down that incredible road with the redwoods so close on either side you can reach out and touch them. It does fill you with awe.
Old Aug 16th, 2006, 05:08 AM
Original Poster

Great Information.
I depart Sunday, 20 August.

We're basically going out I-90, down I-5 and coastal routes, coming Monterey to Yosemite to cayons of UT/AZ and Durango to CO Springs to Branson to Nashville, I-40 & I-85 to Richmond.

Taking my laptop, so please continue feeding me TO DO AND SEE items.
I don't wish to miss worthwhile things.
Old Aug 16th, 2006, 05:35 AM

You should absolutely do the coastal redwoods(Redwood nat.park)not far from Crater lake.Also the Mariposa grove but do it on foot not with the shuttle .You'll get the feeling the primitive people living 2000 years ago must have felt.It's awesome.Since you'll be coming down the coast dont forget to visit Muir woods. Paul
Old Aug 18th, 2006, 05:49 PM
Original Poster

I thought I asked this earlier today, but can't find it.
Must have forgotten to Post.
Anyway, Trip West should find us coming south along OR coast then want to jump over to Crater Lk and jump back to CA coast to see Redwoods.

We can't see everything but will try.

What is the BEST Must-See routes for this?