Which Part of Cape Cod???????

Old Apr 18th, 2000, 12:27 AM
Marc

Which Part of Cape Cod???????

We're making arrangements to spend about 3 weeks in Cape Cod this summer. The only problem we're confronting is we're not sure exactly which part of C.Cod we should stay at, there's Upper, Lower, and Mid Cape; to be even more specific, which town should we be based at??? We're looking for whichever place has the most attractions, oppurtunities, events, beauty, water activities, and just the best place overall. I would appreciate any feedback or help, as I need to make final plans very soon. Thanks a lot.

Old Apr 18th, 2000, 07:38 PM
Charles

Check out MArtha's Vineyard and Nantucket - the best parts of Cape Cod.

Old Apr 19th, 2000, 05:18 AM
dougd

If you've never been to the Cape, you will find quite a variety of 'feels' to the different towns. Some are very crowded, touristy and commercial, others are quiet. We always stay in Wellfleet, at the Holden Inn. Wellfleet is a small, artsy village about 2/3 of the way out, with beautiful beaches on both the bay and ocean sides. Other nice towns are Eastham, and Chatham. The Hyannis area has lots to do, but it's very crowded. Provincetown is unique unto itself - very quaint, funky, with a large gay population. However, the best whale watch tours originate here. Martha's vinyard is very beautiful also, great for bicycling!

Old Apr 19th, 2000, 07:20 AM
Jethro

Beware of all the queers inhabiting Provincetown. If they'd had known how Massachusetts would turn out, the Pilgrims would never have taken the Mayflower to America.

Old Apr 19th, 2000, 07:34 AM
Joe

Jethro, your grammar is as developed as your intelligence.

Old Apr 25th, 2000, 06:49 PM
Terri

As someone else said, there is definitely a different "feel" for each part of the Cape. I think it tends to get better as you travel "up the Cape" as it becomes more natural and less touristy.

Hyannis is the biggest "tourist" area and I would avoid actually staying there unless you are looking for a cheap place to stay. It is, however, the best place to catch the ferry to Nantucket or Martha's Vineyard, which you are both a must. I like Nantucket because it is so easy to get around.

I personally love the town of Chatham, which is on the "elbow" of the cape. It has a lovely collection of shops to browse in, a great beach and a lighthouse. If you check with the Cape Cod Museum, you can sign up for a seal cruise to Monomoy island, which is the uninhabited extension off the cape. You go out on a small boat and get to see the seals in their natural habitat. Mind you, you don't get out of the boat and "pet the seals" but it's as close as I've ever gotten. The birds are also beautiful, too.

Old Apr 26th, 2000, 03:10 AM
Donna F

Having just spent a cold, rainy weekend on the Cape, I think I would recommend staying in the Sandwich area. If you happen to get a stretch of rain you would be able to make a day trip into Boston. I would also consider how much you like sun and sand because the further you go out on the Cape, there is a lot more sand with very short, scrubby trees. Some people love the dunes. I prefer the Sandwich/Brewster area which also give you the option of fresh water swimming. Rt 6A along the bay is far more picturesque than the more commercial Rt 28 drive. If you like to walk and/or bike you always be in full sun the further out you go but there are shaded bike paths in Nickerson State Park, Brewster. Have fun.