Reload this Page >

Which Orlando Theme Parks?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 22nd, 2000, 09:33 AM
Phil

Need your help. We are going to Orlando in a month for 6 days. I was there 10 years ago and visited MK, Epcot, MGM, and Universal Studios.
This time I'm bringing two kids for their first trip (ages 13,& 10}. Which four of the major theme parks would you recommend for the kids? Thanks.

Old Jun 22nd, 2000, 11:09 AM
chris

Depending on your kids interests...most kids I know their age enjoy thrill rides /rollercoasters which would make Universal's Islands of Adventure choice #1. Epcot is more shows and tech. demonstrations combined with themes from France, Morrocco, Italy, Germany, Mexico, Canada, Japan and China. I like the magic kingdom for its atmosphere and you still can't beat Pirates of the Carribbean and Alien Encounter rides as well as Space Mountain and Mine Train rollercoasters. MGM is very theatrical with a few live shows and its big name ride, the Tower of Terror (drop ride). You'd be wise to look at the websites for the parks to review attractions and new presentations, etc.

Old Jun 22nd, 2000, 12:19 PM
Andrea

This is vote #2 for Islands of Adventure. We brought out 13 and 11 year old kids last summer and they LOVED it. There are 3 huge roller coasters and other smaller but still exciting rides.

We also did Universal Studios which was fun, but the rides were not as exciting. (At least according to my 13-year-old.) Jaws and Back to the Future at Universal were our favorites while Spiderman, Jurassic Park and Dudley Do Right were favorites at Islands of Adventure.

We've never been to Disney, so I can't comment. However, Wet n Wild was a nice surprise for me; I thought I'd hate it, but it was actually a great way to spend an afternoon. It has both scary and relaxing water rides--something for everyone.

Have fun!

Old Jun 22nd, 2000, 03:11 PM
Cindy

I'll say what I always say about this. Don't miss Blizzard Beach. We just loved it. I thought MGM has come a long way and is pretty good now. Epcot? Don't know. Researched it and decided it would be way too dull for the kids as some of the exhibits range from almost extinct to fossils.

Old Jun 25th, 2000, 05:59 PM
JD

My vote is for Sea World. My children, boys and girls ages 4 to 9 loved Sea World much more than any Disney Park. The kids also liked Gatorland ( I think that is the name of it)and Busch Gardens in Tampa. Of the Disney Parks, only WWW was fun for the kids. When we return to Orlando, we will not go to Disney with the exception of one day for WWW. Have fun and enjoy your family!

Old Jun 25th, 2000, 07:51 PM
tweedy

We just got back from Orlando on Friday and spent 7 days there. We got an amazing package deal from our travel agent and I would suggest finding a good agent in your area that can get the "park hopper" pass for you, that's all the Disney parks and a few more thrown in.

A MUST SEE is Animal Kingdom. The kids will LOVE the Safari Ride. We had a good time at the Rainforest Cafe, and if the line to get in is really long you can have the same menu in the bar area.

We liked Disney better than Universal so I guess to each there own.

When you get to your hotel, let the kids pour through all the brochures and pick what looks most fun. There are brochures everywhere at all the restaurants, hotels and gift shops.

Have a great time.

Old Jun 25th, 2000, 09:23 PM
Joy in Virginia

Your kids are the perfect age for Disney Quest. It is at Downtown Disney West Side, has a separate admission, & is filled with virtual reality & interactive rides that they will love. My 12 yo went twice last year. Virtual Space Mountain is a blast! I also recommend Deb Wills unofficial WDW guide site at www.wdwig.com, has lots of details on WDW, best ways to see the parks, also attractions. Sea World is also great, they were running a special last year where you could validate your ticket inside the park & get a voucher to return a second day FREE within a week of the first visit. Islands of Adventure at Universal you can easily do in one day. My then 11 year old really enjoyed Universal Studios as well, esp ET ride. My favorite Disney parks in order are MGM, Animal Kingdom,Magic Kingdom, then Epcot. You may want to get 2-day Universal ticket for both Studios & Islands of Adventure, then Sea world, then MGM & AK, then Disney Quest. Do DQ on a weekday if possible. Have a great trip!