Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page >

Which of these hotels in San Antonio, TX?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 16th, 2002, 05:54 PM
Caity

I am planning a trip to San Antonio in early May and am trying to decide between the following hotels: Westin on the riverwalk, Marriott Riverwalk, Marriott River Center, Hotel Menger or Mansion del Rio. I usually stay in chain hotels (like Marriott), but both the Hotel Menger and Mansion del Rio sound nice. Does anyone have any feedback on any of the hotels I am considering? Thanks.

Old Jan 16th, 2002, 11:20 PM
Kay

I really liked the Menger-had that "old fashioned" elegance. Great buffet and good service. Marriott Riverwalk is more modern and glitzy but I still prefer the Menger.

Old Jan 17th, 2002, 04:42 AM
Anthony

The Marriott Rivercenter is a tall, large convention hotel. The building itselfis a nice modern skyscraper, but the interior although nice, is your standard convention hotel. It does have a large indoor/outdoor pool, whirlpool and sauna.
The Marriott Riverwalk is the smaller of the two, and is accross the st. from the rivercenter. It is an older, more standard-looking building, with balconies covering most of the facade.
The Menger is a nice, historic hotel, with nice sized rooms with tall ceilings, but dated bathrooms. I don't think it has a pool, though.
The Westin is the newest and probably
the most luxurious of the ones you listed. It still is on the canal, but away from the main section, which is better for less noise & traffic, yet still mins. away from all the action.

Old Jan 17th, 2002, 04:58 AM
Caity

Thanks for the replies so far. Anyone have any info on Mansion del Rio?

Old Jan 17th, 2002, 06:28 AM
Kevin

La Mansion del Rio is the best! It is a beautiful and gracious property, away from the hustle and bustle of the convention center (but close enough to walk there if needed), and has a terrific restaurant (Las Canarias). Parking is easy (they have a garage) and the hotel overlooks a nicely landscaped (i.e., no shops!) section of the Riverwalk. The Westin is fairly new, very nice but still a cookie-cutter chain hotel. The Marriotts are well described above as perfectly adequate convention hotels. The Menger is historic, but you have to be careful because some portions are just plain seedy rather than well-preserved.
My vote: La Mansion first, Westin second

Old Feb 2nd, 2002, 09:33 PM
John

I have stayed at both the Mansion & the Menger. I would choose the Mansion. The Menger has nice atmosphere, and by all means stop by and have a drink at the bar, but the MdelR was first class. Nice rooms, great location and much more modern facilities.

Old Feb 3rd, 2002, 05:25 AM
Jim Rosenberg

I've only stayed at the Marriott Riverwalk. It has a great location to work from; the hotel is first class and well-maintained. The main level bar (it can't be called a lounge, really) lacks intimacy -- you will feel like you're sitting in the lobby -- but there are other places to go in the neighborhood for that. The discussions of Hotel Menger and Mansion del Rio are convincing me that they are probably better choices in terms of the whole experience, but the Marriott Riverwalk is certainly a nice place to stay, too.

Old Feb 3rd, 2002, 07:24 PM
Dottie

I would suggest La Masion. I am a real estate Broker here in SA and if you really want to experience the culture of our great town stay at La Masion. If possible ask for a balcony room. The view of our wonderful Riverwalk would be a great treat for you. Also, La Masion has a terrific Sunday brunch. The St. Anthony Hotel Sunday brunch is also fantastic. I hope you enjoy your visit to our fine city. We are glad you choose SA.

Old Feb 3rd, 2002, 08:19 PM
molly

Definitely La Mansion. It's on the Riverwalk, and you won't have the thousands of business, convention, and tour bus travelers you'll find at the Marriotts or the cramped tiny rooms at the Menger. That said, however, I did find when travelling alone (on frequent business travel) that the french doors at the Mansion rooms bothered me. their rooms all front onto atriums, which gives you a real feel for what the city was like under Spanish rule, but can be disconcerting when you're expecting a solid wall and a solid door.

I finally asked for rooms without the french doors, or a room up high, and was much happier.

Still, restaurant, location and service can't be beat. Definitely better than the bigger Hyatts & Marriotts.

Old Feb 20th, 2002, 02:40 PM
Amy

I say stay at the Westin. My husband and I stayed there last May when it first opened up and it is so nice. The down comforters are just wonderful. You can just turn down the air and get cozy and watch a movie at night. It is down away from all of the other noisy places which is really nice, but still on the riverwalk.