Which of these 3 Kona hotels

Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 21st, 2017, 05:32 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I've finally narrowed my hotel choices down to 3- Hapuna Prince, Waikoloa Beach Marriott, or Mauna Lani Bay Hotel. We'll only be there 3 nights, we'll do some driving around signtseeing but would like to spend some time relaxing and walking around the resort or area. This will be at the end of a longer trip in Ko'Olina. Appreciate any help in making a choice. Thanks
Old Mar 21st, 2017, 05:38 AM

1st time in HI, stayed at Hapuna Beach Prince. Very nice property and a really nice beach, pretty far out of the way [from Kona]. Weren't places to eat nearby. Good for peace and quiet, at least when we were there {Oct 2006, wow, didn't realize it has been 10 years!}

Waikoloa Beach is a much more active area with shops and restaurants. A' Bay is a nice beach too; there were lots of turtles to see! And it is closer to Kona.

Hope this helps.

Might also depend on when you are going - Oct had few kids at Hapuna Beach Prince; lots of kids in Waikoloa area.
Old Mar 21st, 2017, 05:45 AM

I meant to say that neither of the 2 I mentioned are "Kona" hotels as neither are IN Kona.
Old Mar 21st, 2017, 05:50 AM
Original Poster

Thanks, we don't need to be IN Kona, just meant that side over Hilo. We are going the first week of June (I'm hoping kids are still in school). I know a lot of the hotels are dated and some are undergoing reno. We spend a few days in Oahu a couple years ago in a construction zone and I really don't want to do that again. But I also don't like that outdated/unclean feel.
Old Mar 21st, 2017, 05:59 AM

See what you think here; there are lots of pictures and reviews:

https://www.oyster.com/q/island-of-h...ii-hotels-350/
Old Mar 21st, 2017, 06:01 AM

IMO, the Mauna Lani is the 2nd best hotel on the island (behind Four Seasons Kualalai). There are also several nice restaurants within the resort property - notably Napua - and a couple of the best snorkeling beaches in the state. Not to mention beautiful grounds with historical sites including ancient fish ponds, the Fisherman's Trail, and a petroglyph preserve. And a twice weekly free hula show at Mauna Lani Shops. Easy choice for me.
Old Mar 21st, 2017, 08:06 AM

I agree about the Mauna Lani. It's a cut above the others mentioned.

We stayed there several years ago. Great snorkeling, beach/pool sitting and walking on the property of a gorgeous first-class resort. Good food and good service, too.

We have stayed in Waikaloa, at the Hilton. Not mentioned, and not recommended unless you have kids. The area in general felt a bit isolated. But this also was years ago.

We have enjoyed the beach at Hapuna Prince several times, but have not stayed there. It looks ok, but nothing really special.

The Mauna Lani would not have people coming and going to use their property.
Old Mar 21st, 2017, 03:30 PM
Original Poster

Thanks all, we booked the Mauna Lani.
Old Mar 22nd, 2017, 09:57 PM

Jealous. Have fun!
Old Mar 23rd, 2017, 06:45 AM

Royb, funny story. We had stayed at the Mauna Lani for about 5 nights, and we snorkeled daily. We had our two kids with us, who were young teens.

Then we moved to a condo in Kona for a week. One day, we hired surfing lessons for the kids, by a local kid. In chatting to the kid, we mentioned all the snorkeling we'd enjoyed by the Mauna Lani.

The kid asked if we'd seen any sharks. What?? We said No.

He said that was really surprising, given it was the time of year that they released baby turtles nearby, and it always brought sharks to the area we were snorkeling.

Yikes!