Search

Which Marriott?

Search this Thread

Old Jul 19th, 2000, 05:53 PM
Annie

Which Marriott?

We have Marriott points to stay for a week in Hawaii. I've been following this Forum and haven't read rave reviews of any of the 3 Marriotts. Will the renovations on the one in Maui be finished by March? Did I read something about the Kauai Marriott also undergoing renovations? We really want to stay on Kauai, but I get the idea that the Marriott isn't in such a great location there. Will it also tend to be rainy there in March? We really weren't going to spend any time on Oahu, but it sounds as if it has the nicest Marriott. True? We also plan to spend one more week in the Islands, somewhere! Decisions! By the way, we are active seniors. Any and all comments appreciated!

Old Jul 20th, 2000, 04:19 AM
Bart

Annie, the Maui Marriott renovations are due to be completed by yearend. We have booked 9 days there in March already. This is our 9th trip to Maui and 8th to the Marriott. Obviously we are satisfied. IMO the location is great and after the renovation,the hotel will be better than before. Heard that it will have the best pool on Kaanapali. I highly recommend it.
As for the other Marriotts, the one on Kauai is not in the best location. We are going to Kauai for 6 nights in March and staying at the Sheraton- got a great deal. We have stayed at the Kauai Marriott on other trips but in the winter months we prefer the Poipu area. Personally, we've tried Oahu 2 times and now we just pass thru the airport. The other islands have much more to offer.
email me if I can be further help.

Bart

Old Jul 20th, 2000, 05:21 AM
Debi

Annie - don't forget, you can use your Marriott points for Renaissance or Ritz Carlton as well as Marriotts. Be sure to check the Marriott website for any additional hotels. But - that being said - the Renaissance on Maui, and any Ritz Carlton are really nice.

Old Jul 20th, 2000, 11:40 AM
jamie

Hello Annie,

My husband & I have a timeshare at the Marriott and we love the place, we are going back in December for our fourth trip in a row (we also stayed here once before in 1991 when it was a Westin).

The pool is gorgeous, and it has a nice beach (Kalapaki Beach). The staff has always been outstanding. I think the hotel gets some negative remarks because it is not in Poipu or North Shore, but in Lihue, 2 miles from the airport. (BTW we had NO problems with noise from planes).

One of the other things I like about staying at the Marriott is, it is central to everything (15-20 minutes to Kapaa, 30 minutes to Poipu, 45 minutes to Princeville, add 15 more for Hanalei). So if you are going to do a lot of activities you do less driving.

Our stays have always been in the fall, with one stay in May, so cannot speak to the weather in May. It has been dry the last two winters though, and March is at the end of the Hawaii rainy season.

The Maui Marriott is supposed to be absolutely gorgeous when they finish the remodeling. More than half the units are being turned into timeshares there also, I think if you decide you want to stay at the Maui Marriott using points you need to start booking really quick, becuase they will be giving lots of the rooms away at cheap prices to prospective t/s purchasers leaving less for ff points. Same with Kauai.

Don't know anything about the one in Oahu, it is called JW Ilihani, Marriott just took it over.

Good luck and have a great trip.

Old Jul 21st, 2000, 08:02 AM
lisa

The Renaissance Wailea is part of the Marriott chain and you can use your Marriott Rewards points to stay there, and it has received rave reviews on this forum (you can do a search to see for yourself) and in both Fodors and Frommers guidebooks. We are staying there in October.

Old Jul 21st, 2000, 08:24 AM
kal

Annie, You mention you're "Active Seniors"...Do you golf?
If so, the Kauai Marriott has 2 really nice courses right there. And you're 5 mins. away from the "Best 10 hole golf course in the US" at Puakea, Grove Farm.
(Was a golf course community that got "interrupted" after 10 holes by Iniki).

Also,about 5-10 mins away from the public course, Wailua.

Agree w/ Jamie re central location. It's also located within in a good work-out walk to my favorite brew-pub, The Whaler.

Mahalo,
Kal