Search

Which islands

Search this Thread

Old Jan 6th, 2000, 01:34 PM
Bob

Which islands

We're hoping to head over to Hawaii in September from England for our honeymoon, and intend to visit a couple of islands after a couple of days on Oahu. We're thinking of the Big Island and Maui, to get as much of what Hawaii has to offer as possible in 2 short weeks (while also hitting the beach). Are we on the right track. Also any thoughts on accommodation ? Where would be the best part of each island to stay ? Thanks

Old Jan 7th, 2000, 06:03 PM
Val

Sounds like your on the right track Bob. I would chose Maui and/or the BI for my next trip back to Hawaii. On the BI I would stay in Kona. Hilo has more rain. Even though the BI is largest, it can easily be driven around for exploring over a few days from one home base. On Maui I perfer Lahaina. I can't help you with a specific accommodation as I typically stay with friends and make day trips to the other islands. Have a great honeymoon!

Old Jan 7th, 2000, 07:09 PM
Lani

Bob,

If you visit the Big Island, stay a couple of nights at Volcano Village, with lots of good B&B's, etc., right at the edge of Volcanoes Nat'l Park, then spend the next five nights on the Kona side. You will spend too much time in the car if you try to use one base on the Big Island. Also, you can't go wrong on Maui! But don't shortchange Oahu. If you have 14 nights, I'd do at least three on Oahu - it has a lot to offer. September can be hot in Hawaii, so I'd stay at Kapalua on Maui. It's cooler and breezier up there, and you'll need it then. Have a good trip.

Old Jan 22nd, 2000, 12:08 AM
Kim

I live on the BI and think it is a great place to honeymoon. (We are getting married in July and honeymooning in Canada--need something other than tropics!) I agree, you should stay a few nights in Kona and a few in Volcano. We stayed at a great B&B over Christmas down there. There is tons of stuff to do here. Waterfalls and rainforest on Hilo side, beaches, sun on Kona side. Best star gazing on Mauna Kea! visit www.wizardpub.com We have the Hawaii Big Island Revealed book and LOVE it. It is one of two books we bought when we first moved here (3 years) and have even had to replace it because we lend it to all our friends that come and it had lots of wear and tear. E-mail me if you want more info.

Old Jan 23rd, 2000, 05:53 AM
topper

to the top, bury trash

Old Jan 24th, 2000, 12:29 PM
June

Just came back from our 13 trip to the island and I would go again tom. if I could. While on Oahu, make a trip to the Western part of the iland and if possible stay at the Ihilani resort. The beach was better than alot of the outer island beaches and the resort was OUTSTANDING! It was quiet though so you would need a car if you want to sightsee. I reccomend Waikoloa on the big island, its a beautiful and safe development on the island. The Hilton or the Royal Waikoloan are excellent choices(Royal W. is on a beautiful beach) Be aware that the big island does not have that many white sand beaches due to Lava flows. Maui is EVERYONES favorite island. Yes, Kapalua is lovely(stayed at the Ritz Carlton up there) but it tends to rain. Stick with Kaanapali area very crowded but great location and lovely beaches(The Hyatt, Westin or Marriot are wonderful choices) And dine at a Fantatstic French Bistro named Chez Paul it was our finest meal in the islands. Wailea on the south coast of Maui is also another option. The resorts in this dev. are to die for!(The Four Seasons). Lastly, You should NOT MISS the island of Kauai!!!! The north part of Hanalei is possibly the MOST BEAUTIFUL scenery in all of Hawaii. It tends to rain up there a bit so if you stay, resicde in Poipu the southern sunny portion of the island(Hyatt is a marvelous Choice) Good Luck!