Search

Which Island??

Search this Thread

Old Jun 12th, 2000, 04:14 PM
Beth

Which Island??

Hi All,

Thinking about travelling to Hawaii in October - don't like crowds, but love swimming, hiking, kayaking and all things outside and natural. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated!

Happy Travels...

Old Jun 13th, 2000, 11:00 AM
lisa

Well, you just described my mom and me, and after a lot of research we chose Kauai for our vacation in October! Lots of wonderful ideas and photos in Frommers' Hawaii 2000 book, including recommendations for kayaking, hiking, snorkeling, etc.

Old Jun 17th, 2000, 04:20 PM
Kim

Just so you know, the Big Island is usually not very crowded but October is Ironman. This time of year we get lots of visitors and prices skyrocket. Any other time, I would say it is what you are looking for. We have lots of hiking, kayaking and natural beauty. Just keep that in mind

Old Jun 18th, 2000, 05:09 AM
Kathy

Hi Beth,

The 2000 Ironman Competition will be held on 10/14. The majority of visitors arrive 10/10 and depart 10/18. On the day of the race Kona is very hectic, and unless you want to view the race, you should try touring Hilo and hiking its beautiful rain forests or Volcano Nation Park.

Hope this info is helpful.

Old Jun 18th, 2000, 11:33 AM
Chuck

Try the Island of Lanai.... great hiking,snorkeling and being almost alone while doing it.

Old Jun 19th, 2000, 11:20 AM
virginia

Maui has a little of everything. Great beaches & snorkeling, jungle areas (the drive to Hana), the drive to the Haleakala crater and hiking in it. Kaanapali is crowded, don't stay in Lahaina, just visit, Wailea/Kihei area has good condo bargains.

Old Jun 19th, 2000, 04:02 PM
Rachael

Beth- THere is no better place for you than the island of Kuaui. Most people don't travel there (why, i don't know). We went there a couple of years back, along with oahu and maui, and maui and kuaui were best, with kuaui being best for nature sort of things. The snorkeling is amazing, and there was so much hiking we could not even begin to do it all. While there, definitely take a helicoptor ride, it's worth teh extra money. You might recognize the Na'Pali coast from the famous kissing and rolling scene in some old movie (can't remember which) and the scenery and waterfalls were used in numerous movies, including Jurassic Park. While in town, ask around and you'll find the restaurant that they eat at (it's cool, we took a picture). If you're into hiking, seriously, then definitely hike to the Na'Pali Coast, I here it's spectacular, and well worth the challenge. Good luck!

Old Jun 19th, 2000, 04:02 PM
Rachael

Beth- THere is no better place for you than the island of Kuaui. Most people don't travel there (why, i don't know). We went there a couple of years back, along with oahu and maui, and maui and kuaui were best, with kuaui being best for nature sort of things. The snorkeling is amazing, and there was so much hiking we could not even begin to do it all. While there, definitely take a helicoptor ride, it's worth teh extra money. You might recognize the Na'Pali coast from the famous kissing and rolling scene in some old movie (can't remember which) and the scenery and waterfalls were used in numerous movies, including Jurassic Park. While in town, ask around and you'll find the restaurant that they eat at (it's cool, we took a picture). If you're into hiking, seriously, then definitely hike to the Na'Pali Coast, I here it's spectacular, and well worth the challenge. Good luck!

Old Jun 19th, 2000, 11:35 PM
Noach

The following is from a post 'The Greatness of Kaua`i'. I think some of you will appreciate it, especially the last poster.

"Around a year ago, when I first started becoming seriously interested in
Hawaii and learining about it, my cousin who has been to all of the islands
(at least the big four) told me that Kauai was his favorite and that
probably prejudiced me in favor of it. While I have seen pictures of
spectacular beauty on all of the islands, the abundant lush beauty of Kauai
combined with the relative seclusion seem to be a winning combination.
Notice I say _relative_ seclusion. Compared to some of the islands in the
Bahamas and Caribbean, the South Pacific and perhaps even Lana'i, Kauai does
not seem so secluded and undeveloped. In many ways, I consider that an
advantage. Kauai seems to have much of the appeal of a secluded, exotic
destination while having the advantages of being part of the U.S. including decent roads,
telecommunications, medical facilities, lack of tropical diseases, etc.

I would like it if Kauai were more predictably warm in winter though.

Aston's Kauai pamphlet says that "Kauai has been voted the friendliest place
in the United States." Would like to hear comments on that. "

Old Jun 21st, 2000, 12:31 PM
John

It would seem that a majority of responders prefer Kauai. I'm thinking about booking a cavation in mid to late July to Kauai. Can anyone recommend a condo or good hotel package?

Thanks!
John

Old Jun 27th, 2000, 06:39 AM
Jana

We just returned from Hawaii and stayed at the Hanalei Bay Resort on Kauai. If was a beautiful place. It is condos and is right next door to the Princeville resort. I would definately stay on the North Shore, it is so beautiful. I have also stayed at the Hyatt in Poipu and it was very nice, but the views in Hanalei are gorgeous. Hope you have a great trip. Don't miss snorkeling at Kee Beach. We saw huge sea turtles and great fish.

Old Jun 27th, 2000, 03:25 PM
Noach

Chuck (molokai44), any reason why you didn't suggest the island which is in your email address? Just curious.