Which is better with a Knee injury- Nantucket or Martha's Vineyard

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 29th, 2003, 08:38 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Have bad knee injury and need to DRIVE everywhere- cannot do extensive walking as am using cane--

Is Nantucket or Martha's Vineyard doeable by driving up to various sites and shops or is it only a walking/biking destination?

Need to know as I have to book something for MAY....

Also which INN is best with the least amount of steps-- Need 1st floor accommodations.

HELP!! and thanks!
Old Jan 29th, 2003, 10:35 AM

If you're booking before Memorial Day and especially for a weekday, I think you will be ok on either island. I would suggest that you stay in Vineyard Haven or Tisbury where it's a little less crowded and easier to get around.
Old Jan 29th, 2003, 10:36 AM

Sorry to say, Andy, but I would wait until I could walk better before tackling either island. Driving and parking near whatever you want to see is not always easy. The roads are small and narrow, and parking places scarce. They are much more conducive to walking, or perhaps biking. Neither of them encourages you to bring your own car - they already have enough.
Old Jan 29th, 2003, 11:50 AM

Speaking only of Nantucket, I would agree with charli.

Especially in town, there is almost nothing you could drive right up to and park in front of. You could stay somewhere like the Wauwinet or Summer House, but would be removed from shopping, museums, etc.

There are handicapped parking spaces, but you won't be guaranteed to get one and, again especially in town, the streets are cobblestone in places and the sidewalks are narrow and sometimes rough.
Old Jan 29th, 2003, 11:54 AM
Original Poster

TO ALL===

Are there cobblestone sidewalkd in Martha's Vineyard also? I mean in town where we would be walking ---since I am using a cane...

Really want to do this trip as I will be in Boston anyway and won't be back up in this neck of the woods for many years to come....

All help is appreciated!!
Old Jan 29th, 2003, 01:58 PM

Maybe they're right, it may be a little difficult. But you may be able to drive to some real nice areas like Gay Head and South Beach and Chappy. Would be ashame to miss Martha's Vineyard on your only trip up this way.

PS - Don't think I remember any cobblestones in MV but definitely lots in Boston.
Old Jan 29th, 2003, 04:18 PM

Andy
I have to say I have made this trip with a bad knee and would never do it again. The Cobblestones almost killed me, the sidewalks are far and few between in Nantucket. Cane or no cane it is miserable and there are no places to park anywhere .
The vineyard is better and there are a few handicapped places, but still not so good to manuever about in. There is a tour bus tha takes you around it is an old converted school bus so it's hard to get in and out of. Many Inns are above shops and places that do not have elevators or handicapped acess.
If you are in that area you may find New Bedford a better destination. Just read an article in local Sunday Paper that it is developing it's water front area and it's Whaling historical area.
Good luck as someone who is handicapped and knows how hard it is to see many things.
Old Jan 29th, 2003, 06:03 PM

I would agree with those who advise against the "islands". Neither are favorable for "driving up to" shopping, etc. And, taking your own car via ferry is expensive.

If you want scenic/oceanside, you may want to consider Newburyport, Rockport, or Portsmouth, NH. All have lots of shopping/dining within short walks of accomodations. Chances of convenient parking spaces (especially with a handi-capped plate/placard) are far more likely, along with places to stay with elevators.
Old Jan 30th, 2003, 04:37 AM

HI Andy
If you end up going to Nantucket don;t go on Memorial Day weekend as it is the Fugawee Race and the island is packed to the hilt. Also on either island it is cheaper and smarter to rent a car in advance from the major rental you can get a car for the weekend for less then the round trip ferry charge. Both islands have Air Ports and you can get great rates by booking online.
Old Jan 31st, 2003, 09:56 PM
Original Poster

to Mrsbu and djkbooks- I found a room at the Jared Coffin House on the 1st floor in Nantucket and also found a room on the first floor at the Daggett House in Martha's Vineyard---

I do have a handicap sticker--

If MV or Nantucket are so bad, then where would you advise other than Maine- I have been to Maine so many times from the outlets just outside the Mass border all the way up to Bar Harbor--
Just wanted something totally different...

Also tried to get a room in Brimfield, but the HUGE antique show is there the week we have off and nothing available...

Have also been to Stowe,Vt and up to the Conway,NH area before also...

The Problem is I have to be in Boston for the 2 weekends and have the mid-week free to hit the road and do something different......

Knee is a problem, but do have car and handicapp sticker....

HELP=
Old Feb 1st, 2003, 02:18 AM

How about Cape Cod instead. Drive up shopping more likely, wide range of towns/lodging types (although many inns are walk-up to 2nd or 3rd floor rooms), sidewalks and streets are paved, not real crowded in May. You could even take a one-day trip to MV or Nantucket and with some research and cab rides, see a little of either island without undue knee stress. You could take your day-trip whichever day had nicest weather - and May can either be beautiful or cool and rainy.

If you go to Cape, I would either park myself mid-Cape for week and explore from there or even consider staying a night or 2 in one of several towns.

Old Feb 1st, 2003, 03:56 AM

Glad I saw this...I was going to ask the same question.
Old Feb 1st, 2003, 04:04 AM

Hi Andy,
there is a handicapp accesable shuttle system on the island along with taxi cab service. If this is the only chance you have to see Nantucket I would not pass it up. http://www.town.nantucket.ma.us/depa...k/shuttle.html
Old Feb 1st, 2003, 06:39 AM

Jared Coffin is a wonderful inn, nicely located just a few blocks from the center of town. Not sure how long a walk this would seem to you, though, with a bad knee. The Visitor's office can probably tell you the number and location of handicapped parking spaces right in town. You may want to phone Jared Coffin and inquire about availability of a parking lot at the inn or nearby handicapped spaces on the streets.

I would be leery, though, of Nantucket Town with the cobblestone streets and uneven sidewalks. There is little parking in town, much of which is used for deliveries.

However, Nantucket does have an excellent taxi company. Rates are very reasonable, service is efficient. With a cell phone, you'd be all set.

There are any number of nice towns to visit on Cape Cod with better opportunities for handicapped street parking close to shops/restaurants.

You might want to check out the Chatham Tides (in Chatham, they have a website), which has an idyllic location, and phone the Chamber of Commerce or Visitor's Office and inquire about handicapped spaces on the streets in town (number and locations).

From Chatham, you can easily drive all over the Cape every day (explore by car). To my recollection, there are handicapped spaces on the main streets in every town in front of blocks of shopping/dining places.

You might also want to consider the Berkshires in Western MA to spend your five days.