Which Hyatt in Washington DC??

Oct 27th, 2001, 06:56 PM
mary

Which Hyatt in Washington DC??

Thought I had it all figured out--have booked the Grand Hyatt in Washington DC for my family of 4. Further research (and $10 less) has me wondering if we should be at the Hyatt Regency on Capitol Hill? We mainly want to see sights on The Mall and will be arriving by Amtrak on Jan 1, 2002. Which Hyatt would you choose for family?

Oct 27th, 2001, 07:13 PM
Christina

It probably doesn't matter a whole lot. The Grand Hyatt is somewhat closer to a metro stop (about two blocks to Metro center) and you have a choice of both lines there, so I think it's slightly more convenient in that sense. The one on Capitol Hill is about 3 blocks to Union Station metro. If you don't mind walking a bit, you could walk to some of the museums on the Mall, it's closest to National Gallery, but it's really farther than you might want to want to the other museums (as I said, depends on how much you want to walk) so it would be inconvenient from a metro standpoint as you'd have to go to Union Station and then transfer at metro center to the yellow line and then go a couple stops to the Smithsonian stop. So, I think the Grand Hyatt is somewhat more convenient in general.

Oct 28th, 2001, 05:41 AM
Jan

You did perfect with the Grand Hyatt!!! I took my niece for her 13th b-day and it could not have been more perfect. The location is ideal, you are actually on the metro - the staff is professional, and you got a very good price! I have never paid less then $169 and have paid as much as $210. parking , I think is $20. a day ... enjoy!!!

Oct 29th, 2001, 05:55 AM
mary

Thanks for input--Has anyone stayed at the Hyatt Regency?? Says it is hooked on to a mall (shopping??), and looks like it has a nice indoor pool?? Also, in January, could we actually walk to the Smithsonian from the hotel? These are the reasons I was leaning toward the Hyatt Regency instead of Grand Hyatt??

Oct 29th, 2001, 07:25 AM
OliveOyl

I've stayed at the Hyatt Capitol Hill Mary...did a museum a day for a week and walked everywhere (by myself). I loved the location, but then, I love walking as well. It's hard to say if you will find it as convenient as I did. Some of those walks were looong, but with the fantastic scenery, and people watching, it didn't phase me in the least.

Oct 29th, 2001, 08:17 AM
Leone

Hey, Olive, the next time you're walking near the Mall, give me a buzz and I'll take you to lunch. Ciao from a sunny but quite cool DC. Leone

Oct 29th, 2001, 09:23 AM
Olive Oyl

Hey L! My family will be the first to tell you that when I'm touring, I don't do food. Dining? A time waster. Used to drive them crazy, but now I've got all but DH trained in my ways. gt;

Oct 29th, 2001, 09:51 AM
Christina

I just looked at their web site and no where that I saw does it say anything like "hooked onto a mall". It says "within walking distance" of the National Mall, which is grass/park space (mall in old English sense). There is no shopping center there. Anything within a few miles could be described as "within walking distance." The Smithsonian is an institution which comprises numerous buildings, some not even in Washington. There are several museums on the Mall which belong to them and, as I said, you could walk to them if you like to walk a lot. The closest ones are the Air and Space Museum/Natural History and they are about 6-7 blocks probably, the rest are farther. The National Gallery is a few blocks closer, but that is not the Smithsonian. Maybe you should find a map.

Oct 29th, 2001, 09:56 AM
Ann

The mall they might be talking about is the Shops at Metro Center. It's a small mall near Metro Center on the first floor and basement of the National Press building. Can't recall if the Hyatt is right there.

Oct 29th, 2001, 03:32 PM
mary

OK, Christina, so if I don't want to walk 6 blocks to the Air and Space Museum, is it best to be at the Grand Hyatt to ride the Metro? Also, sorry but the shopping mall is hooked onto the Marriott--my error. OliveOyl--how were the rooms, pool, and food at Hyatt Capitol?? Thanks so much.

Oct 29th, 2001, 05:12 PM
OliveOyl

Mary, that was too long ago (early 80's) for any info I had on rooms or food to be valid today. They've undoubtedly been through any number of rennovations and chefs since! OL At that time the food was excellent and the restaurant had a wonderful view of the Capitol. I recall it as being a *very* nice hotel. Never saw the pool...I was in touring mode! I'll add, my husband works for Hyatt, but as you are torn between two different Hyatts, that's really not a factor here.

When I answered your post I was primarily addressing your question on walking to the mall, having stayed there and walked it daily. My treks to the museums from Hyatt Capitol Hill were all longer than 6 blocks, though, so perhaps the other Hyatt with its proximity to the metro would be better for you?

Search this Thread