which hotel?

Old Feb 28th, 2001, 05:23 PM
jack

which hotel?

My wife and I are planning a visit to new york in june or july. We are looking for hotels in the theatre district area for $130-$210. I have been looking at the best western ambassador, best western president, belvedere, travel inn, etc. Any suggestions or information on these hotels or others?
Also, wondering if we could do the statue, ellis island, and times square on the same day without exhausting ourselves. Is the subway the best and safest way to get to yankee stadium? Restaurant recommendations in the theatre and central park area? I have heard about mickey mantles, mars2112, espnzone, tavern on the green. Any information on these? Other recommendations of moderate-priced restaurants?

Appreciate any info you can give.

Jack

Old Feb 28th, 2001, 06:06 PM
rqf

The Travel Inn is a bit out of the way. Try the Edison - great location - W.47 just off Broadway. Small rooms, good reputation. They have a web site.
Statue of Liberty and Ellis Island can be done in four or five hours. To better organize your day plan other activties on the day your visit the Statue. Wall Street, Chinatown, Little Italy, World Trade Center all in that area. If you stay at any of the hotels you mention you will be in the Times Square area. The subway is the least expensive and a convenient way to get to Yankee Stadium - it is safe. Trip from midtown will take less than 30 minutes. Mars, ESPN and the one run by the WWF are all in the Times Square area. Indicate your food preferences and you are sure to get recommendations.

Old Mar 1st, 2001, 08:24 AM
Stephen

I travel to NY at least twice a year and often stay at the Mayfair, a boutique hotel on 49th. Great location in the theatre district. Small rooms, but very clean. Friendly helpful staff. Nice continental breakfast included with room rate. Their website is www.mayfairnewyork.com.

Old Mar 1st, 2001, 10:05 AM
kim

Check out playbill.com for some hotel specials. i just booked the Marriott Marquis in June for $179 per night.

Old Mar 1st, 2001, 03:09 PM
jack

Thanks for your advice. I will check into your hotel suggestions. Apparently, nobody is too familiar with my choices. Our choices for food are american, seafood, and some italian. Also, we will arrive abput 3:00 in the afternoon. Any suggestions for our first evening in town?

Jack

Old Mar 1st, 2001, 05:54 PM
anne

If you want to do Statue of Liberty & Ellis Island, four to five hours should do so long as you don't want to climb up the statue. If you do want to climb up the statue, you need to be on the first boat out or you will probably find yourself in a three-hour line. First boat is around 7 or 8 am. Most of the restaurants you've listed are particularly well know. I think you can find moderate restaurants in various parts of the city by doing a search on Zagat's guide website. There's a single-price restaurant in Restaurant Row (W. 46th) near the theater district that serves good Italian food - it's owned by the same people who have Felidia on the east side. If you want to try something different, there's a Brazilian restaurant (Plataforma) on W. 49th, and Victor's Cuban-American is a good choice on w. 52nd. Hope this helps & enjoy your visit!