Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page >

Which direction is best? (GC-monument-page-bryce-zion)

Search

Search this Thread

Old Nov 11th, 2013, 12:02 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

So following the great advice I got in my last post, I'd like to have your opinions on this issue too...
The plan is to drive from Yosemite to Vegas and then we're planning to see - Monument valley, Page, Bryce and Zion (hope I didn't forget anything...)
Would you say that there is a "better" direction? Start at the GC? end there? Our starting and ending point is Vegas.
Thank you!
Old Nov 11th, 2013, 12:43 AM

My preference would be Las Vegas, Grand Canyon, Monument Valley, Page (Lake Powell), Bryce and Zion for two reasons.

1. I think exiting the Grand Canyon driving east on Hwy 64 gives you such a great view. 2. You get your heavy driving between Las Vegas and the Grand Canyon out of the way. Zion to Las Vegas is an easy 3 hour drive so you can spend longer in Zion on the day you have to drive back to Las Vegas.

Utahtea
Old Nov 11th, 2013, 03:00 AM

I agree with utahtea, assuming that you have lodging set for the trip.

If you do not have lodging then get that set first for Grand Canyon. I would want to spend the night in GC if possible, if not then depending on if you are planning on stopping overnight on the way in or on the way out. If it is on the way in look in Tusayan, if on the way out look at Cameron Trading Post near the junction of 64 and 89.

It is nice to stay in the park for Zion and Bryce too, but there is lodging near both parks.
Old Nov 11th, 2013, 12:11 PM
Original Poster

Thank you utahtea and emalloy, also thought to start with GC so we wouldn't have to drive to Vegas after a long (hot)day out.
If we get a great view to top it, who could ask for more..
Old Nov 11th, 2013, 04:55 PM
J62

I've done the loop both ways and I don't think it really makes a difference. More important is what time your flights arrive/depart, and where you can get lodging. You can drive to Vegas in the morning as well from either Zion or GC.
Old Nov 11th, 2013, 06:45 PM

(hope I didn't forget anything...)

Yes, you forgot Death Valley National Park, easy to include on your route from Yosemite to Las Vegas.
Old Nov 12th, 2013, 09:16 AM

dbdurand: "Yes, you forgot Death Valley National Park, easy to include on your route from Yosemite to Las Vegas."

In Daniellathaatsme's other thread she said she is doing this trip in the summer and has kids. Death Valley is VERY HOT with average temps well above 100 in the summer and pretty much all you will be able to do is drive though on days like that.

http://www.wrh.noaa.gov/vef/climate/...mperatures.pdf

Utahtea
Old Nov 13th, 2013, 01:06 PM
Original Poster

Thank you utahtea for making the connection!!
Death Valley will have to wait for our next trip...
Old Nov 14th, 2013, 10:00 PM
Original Poster

So....Due to lodging issues in GCNP, we'll have to do the loop starting Zion. OK..So now I'm looking for a place to stay somewhere between GC-Monument Valley and Page, so we could stay there for a couple of nights and use it as our "base camp"...any ideas? (our route will be- page->monument->GC)
Thanks again!
Old Nov 15th, 2013, 02:59 AM

Daniella,

There is no place that would be convenient as a "base camp". The only towns that I can recall between GC-monument-page are Cameron, Kayenta and Tuba City. Cameron is only a half hour from GC, Kayenta is almost at Monument Valley and Tuba City is not really close to GC or Page to make it worthwhile to base there.

I would suggest that you do a night or two in each location. Pack your bag so you can just pull out the toiletries and clothes you will be wearing the next day and repack the dirty clothes in the evening. In the morning pop the toiletries in the bag and be off.

If you only have one night at GC, and want to spend two whole days there, then perhaps spend the night you leave GC at the Cameron Trading Post, then go to Monument Valley and spend the night there or in Kayenta then head for Page for a couple of nights if you want to do something on the water (smooth water raft trip on the Colorado river and/or boating on the lake) and Antelope Canyon, Horseshoe Bend, the Dam tour etc.

I would not want to drive much after dark as in the GC area you share the road with elk and mule deer, and between there and MV there are places with open range where you see horses and cattle on the road too.