Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page >

Which city has built the "prototype" mass transit system?

Search

Search this Thread

Old May 22nd, 2002, 06:30 PM
ron

I am a traveler, but also very interested in urban planning. I am always curious about different cities' mass transit sytems and how effective they are.

Of course, the most effective mass transit systems are typically the oldest ones. That is because they built the Subway first, and then the city built around the lines. New York and Chicago are great examples.

As for newer cities, I've heard good things about the Portland system, have used Marta in Atlanta and found it sufficient. I have heard so-so things about the systems in St. Louis, Dallas, and San Diego.

What have your experiences been?

Old May 22nd, 2002, 06:55 PM
jjsmythe

The Dallas system is big, and has generated some pretty incredible transit villages. It is also enjoying fantastic public support, in contrast to the Portland system.

It should definitely be the prototype for mass transit in the USA.

Old May 22nd, 2002, 07:07 PM
Hermie

Dry Prong, Louisiana

30 people and one bus. It's never late and never crowded.

Old May 22nd, 2002, 08:33 PM
xxx

I find the Portland system to be very user friendly when I'm visiting on business. The station from the airport is now open and some of the downtown areas even have a street car now.

Old May 23rd, 2002, 02:49 AM
Suzy

Another way to design an effective subway system is to wait until the city is all built, to see what ends up where -- teh Washington DC Metro system seems to serve the city well and efficiently, though I suspect that the poorer sections of town are underserved. Also, all the stations look alike and gloomy. But it's so efficient and comfortable.

Old May 23rd, 2002, 04:03 AM
Hal

God, another "original" post who is "always curious" about the way other cities do things. The second paragraph is a statement of fact and the third pops the question. This is repeated over and over on this site. Why? Now I am curious!

Old May 23rd, 2002, 04:52 AM
ron

Yo Hal:

If you don't like the post, don't read it.

It was your choice, and you not only read but contributed to this thread.

Anyone else out there have a thoughtful answer?

Old May 23rd, 2002, 05:22 AM
Mike W

Personally, I liked the DC Metro and found it very efficient. As for the ultimate in subways, Tokyo is unbelievable. It is huge and you can go virtually anywhere in the city on it without using buses. Some lines are more like local lines and others are more like freeways (they have employees that push people on the trains in rush hour so that the doors can close). The other thing about their system that is great is that the subway system of the city ties seamlessly into the train and bullet train systems that serve the suburbs and other cities.

Old May 23rd, 2002, 05:38 AM
Statia

Although this is the US board, I've found the Paris metro to be the easiest mass transit system I've ever used. As far as how cities are laid out, New York wins that one. Walking point to point in NYC with no map is simple, but their subway system is not as easy to use as the Paris metro, in my opinion.

Old May 23rd, 2002, 09:04 AM
Anthony

Statia:
The reason NY's subway is notas easy to use as the Paris Meto is NY's subway system was originally designed by independent buildrs with agreement from the city. In other words, allthe differnt subway ines were built as competition with each other. The city did not have the moeny to take on the building of subways, so it gave out the project to the private sector. Therefore, there was NOincentive to have easy transfers between the differntlines, and there is alot of duplication of stops, where is is no coverage in other areas (where it wasn't profitable for builders). It wasn't until the 1950's, I think, that the independent lines were taken over by the city, and became one, massive, complicated system. The Paris Metro, on the other hand, was always built as one, intergrated system by the city.

Old May 23rd, 2002, 09:09 AM
Statia

Anthony:

Thanks so much for the info. I had no idea. Wow...learn something new everyday. Now it makes sense why NYC subways can be confusing at times and why they run the way they do.

Thanks again.

Old May 23rd, 2002, 09:10 AM
Lenore

We found both London and Toronto to have very easy and cheap mass transit systems. It's great not having to worry about how to get somewhere while traveling. Both of these cities have user friendly systems. Too bad more American cities don't have this type of infra-structure.

Old May 23rd, 2002, 09:12 AM
Jim Rosenberg

Regarding the Paris metro system, it is said that from any address in Paris proper, you are never more than 500 yards away from a metro station. That's pretty incredible and it's certainly always been the case when I've used it to get anywhere.

Old May 23rd, 2002, 09:39 AM
x

I found that the public transportation in Hong Kong was very user friendly and easy to get around.

Old May 23rd, 2002, 10:10 AM
John

Ron, your assumption that the older systems are more effective because they were built first, and the city grew around them, is largely inaccurate. In some cases the residential or office densities that we see now came about partly because of the transit, but there are plenty of cases where the intent of the transit builders was to aid in suburban and lower density growth. Remember that a principal driving force at the end of the 19th Century was to create residential areas with open air and greenery, because the higher densities of the cities led to the spread of disease (which was true.) Thus part of the justification for the NYC, London, Paris etc. systems was to enable people to leave the city, not just to zip across it.

It's a huge dilemma for transport planners: if you build it, they will come, so every freeway built in LA to reduce congestion just made it easier for people to commute farther to work, thereby leading to suburbs being built farther and farther out into the boonies. The homes they left downtown were re-occupied by others, who then used the previously-existing roads, which then caused the suburbanites' commute to get longer and the number of cars on the road to grow, which led to demands for more freeways to reduce congestion and on and on...

Fitting a new system into an existing network is really hard and expensive. I think Washington DC has done a pretty good job, and I love Montreal's system. But the overall impact of new (especially rail/tram) systems is going to be marginal at best because we love the privacy and the convenience of our cars, and, bottom line, cars are incredibly effective people-movers. Efficient? Not very, but effective.

Sorry, don't mean to lecture.